Military Brides

who pays for the move?

Hey ladies,

I've got a question about moving and Pcsing and I don't know who/where to ask.

So FH is stationed in Germany right now, we'll be married on his Christmas leave, he's already informed whoever he needs to about having his orders amended so I'm on them for his PCS in March. 

That being said, FH doesn't have anything anywhere except the clothes he's got with him in Germany. So, will the Army pay to move 'our' (my) stuff when he pcs's? or Do I need to make other plans for after he reports and checks in at the new unit? We are technically moving together because he's coming here for pcs leave first before he reports, does that make a difference?

I'm so confused! Help? :)
Thanks ladies!

Re: who pays for the move?

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From my understanding they will only move you from his current station to his next station.  So you would be responsible from getting your things to him, or to the next location which would make more sense for you.  I had to move my things to H's before the PCS move.  Sometimes they will do a second location if it is on the way and you are on the orders, but I'm not sure how it would work if he is overseas. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • micheleq1702micheleq1702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure either lol! I'm just trying to figure out everything I can so that we're prepared for all the just in case things that could become reality. I'll have to find people to drive some trucks down for me if the Army doesn't end up moving us..
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are already married when he does the PCS they may do a second location.  Many people sent overseas usually keep a storage unit in the states with their things, so I don't think it would be much different.  Once he gets his official paper orders they will probably set him up with someone to deal with his move.  Has he asked around at all to anyone he works with?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if it's different for OCONUS PCS, but for CONUS there is a 30-mile radius for a second pick-up. It's meant to be used for items in storage near where you live. They probably won't move your stuff with his PCS.

We PCSed right after the wedding and I had to move my stuff to his apartment, then they came and packed up everything in his apartment, including my stuff. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I can't contribute much, but I wanted to say that my FI is in Germany too and we're getting married over Christmas leave too. :) 
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    DH says that your FI can request a pickup of household goods from your place instead of Germany if your place is closer to the new duty station. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • micheleq1702micheleq1702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in MI, he doesnt' have anything except clothes that I think he'll ship back to me anyways in Germany which is why I'm confused...the Army won't have anything to move in Germany for him...and he's never had household goods until now...
  • edited December 2011
    If he is originally from the area where you currently live he can use his HOR  (home of record) move.  Service members are allowed one of these and they can use it at any point.  You will need to coordinate with the instillation closest to you, once you're married and have a copy of his orders stateside give them a call and go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards