Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

First Look indoor suggestions

My wedding is on Jan 4. and we have decided to do a first look. I'd prefer to do the first look indoors (unless it is snowy and beautiful outside). Any suggestions on where to do this? We are getting married at Heinz Chapel so I'd prefer to stay in the Oakland and surround areas. Also, does anyone know if you need special permission or have to pay some kind of fee to take pictures for instance inside Phipps or the museums?

Re: First Look indoor suggestions

• You can get photos inside of both if you'd like, all you have to do is pay the entrance fee for you, your FI, and the photographers (and anyone else you would want there).
  • The Cathedral of Learning (right next to Heinz Chapel) can be really pretty. You might need to shoo away some students but I think that could be a great location.
  • Phipps will charge you a pretty hefty amount to take photos, and the museums just require you to pay admission, but still discourage people from having their photos done there unless you're having your wedding there. That being said, the Cathedral of Learning can be very, very pretty (in some rooms). If you're willing to step outside for a few photos, the Mellon Institute is covered and is a good standby. Also look into the Frick Fine Arts building, it is gorgeous. Also, definitely talk to your photographer, they might have some good ideas you never would have thought of.
    Photobucket
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • The Cathedral is actually my first choice -- we both went to Pitt and I have always loved the building. I just have to look into whether I'd need permission or not and if the doors are all open during the time that the University is closed for the holiday. I am a little concerned about lighting in there, but hopefully the photographer can figure that all out. Thanks everyone! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_first-look-indoor-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:b5477f46-fe3c-4fd6-9732-b8d768fea686Post:d2ad6667-f5cb-45fb-b9e3-3768383ae01d">Re: First Look indoor suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Cathedral is actually my first choice -- we both went to Pitt and I have always loved the building. I just have to look into whether I'd need permission or not and if the doors are all open during the time that the University is closed for the holiday. I am a little concerned about lighting in there, but hopefully the photographer can figure that all out. Thanks everyone! 
    Posted by jsurmacy[/QUOTE]

I would say that if you're set on a location, just give your photographer a good & solid heads up.  They should be partially involved in figuring out where to have your fiance waiting and where you'll enter.  And if they're a Pittsburgh based photog, they're probably already pretty familiar with both and won't be put out doing a location scout ahead of time.  And the cathedral shouldn't be any worse lit than the chapel.  A good wide aperature lens will make the difference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The Grand Hall at the Priory! They Have really good winter specials! I would look into it!
  • Thanks everyone.

Collette, I am having my reception at the Priory. I just need a location for a first look.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards