Virginia

Ever just want to open your own reception venue?

I swear if I had the money I would.  It would be on the water, with lots of windows.  Have one smaller room, and one very large room (300+ people.)  With hardwood floors so the dance floor can be as big as it needs to be, to accommodate people who actually partner dance not just bump n grind, stand n sway.  It would be open to people bringing in their own caterers.  The larger room would have drapes that could be dropped from the ceiling to enclose the room more for a more intimate feel.

If I happened to be crazy rich I would just do it!

~Katy

Re: Ever just want to open your own reception venue?

• edited December 2011
    Yes! I feel this way all the time.

The venue we chose is nice, but there are some gorgeous places in the area that I would LOVE to have the wedding at. But why must they all charge an arm and a leg? It's ridiculous.

So if I opened a place, it would be gorgeous and affordable.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes!  Exactly!  I would love to have a venue that doesn't have it's own catering, it's own bar service (OMG so overpriced!!!) etc to try and gouge you for every penny.  Opening a venue where the fee is for the space would make me so happy- allow people to decide if they want to cover the bar themselves or hire us to do that as well, have them choose the caterer- so many venues I either like the place OR the menu options but not both.  And I would FAR prefer to hire a bartender and purchase my own alcohol than to pay $100 for a $20 bottle of rum for an open bar.  I want to be able to cut costs so I don't have to cut guests.  Why is it so hard to find options where I can have things the way I want them, rather than having the venue dictate what I can and cannot do?  *bangs head into wall*

I bet a venue like I would want to open would have a LOT of demand!
  • edited December 2011
    My venue sounds somewhat like what you're describing in your second post but it only holds about 200 - we're doing a cocktail hour too though so we're keeping it around 150 for comfort.  The owners essentially did what you are suggesting- built in dance floor, set up the room just for weddings/events with a catering kitchen.  View of the water, lots of windows.  We can bring in whoever we want and are buying our own alcohol.  Isn't all wood floors though, and is just one big room which is a bite for the cocktail hour and for using it for a ceremony.  I love being able to pick all my own stuff though (chairs, booze, food, etc).  It'd be perfect if there was a separate area for ceremony/cocktail hour.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_ever-just-want-open-own-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:236Discussion:f36fb14c-b485-41e2-926c-9dc4250b979fPost:aee73ac0-db80-4939-8e49-c0c3916daf99">Re: Ever just want to open your own reception venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is it so hard to find options where I can have things the way I want them, rather than having the venue dictate what I can and cannot do?  *bangs head into wall* I bet a venue like I would want to open would have a LOT of demand![/QUOTE]

You open it and I'll make a reservation! :)

I had one place want to charge us $4000 just for the room.  That was before food, the bar, etc.  And it's on a military base.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_ever-just-want-open-own-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:236Discussion:f36fb14c-b485-41e2-926c-9dc4250b979fPost:759d963d-ff16-47cd-bb9a-75374fff9187">Re: Ever just want to open your own reception venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My venue sounds somewhat like what you're describing in your second post but it only holds about 200 - we're doing a cocktail hour too though so we're keeping it around 150 for comfort.  The owners essentially did what you are suggesting- built in dance floor, set up the room just for weddings/events with a catering kitchen.  View of the water, lots of windows.  We can bring in whoever we want and are buying our own alcohol.  Isn't all wood floors though, and is just one big room which is a bite for the cocktail hour and for using it for a ceremony.  I love being able to pick all my own stuff though (chairs, booze, food, etc).  It'd be perfect if there was a separate area for ceremony/cocktail hour.
    Posted by PhotogBride[/QUOTE]

Do you mind sharing your reception location?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_ever-just-want-open-own-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:236Discussion:f36fb14c-b485-41e2-926c-9dc4250b979fPost:2e76e8c8-2d70-40a2-a4db-93c4a501f757">Re: Ever just want to open your own reception venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ever just want to open your own reception venue? : Do you mind sharing your reception location?
    Posted by justanotherbride[/QUOTE]

The Water Table at Rudee Inlet (Fisherman's Wharf).  I don't think she's got a website up yet but google it and give Deb a call if you're interested in seeing the place.  I love it :)
  • prissyhippieprissyhippie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YES!  my fiance and i talk about that all the time!  just build a pretty venue with a lot of open space and it would be rented out every weekend!  Maybe all of us should go in together & build that place!  haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards