May 2014 Weddings

Engagement party?.

Hey guys my fiancé and I just got engaged on December 15 we are really torn whether or not we should have an engagement party. I want to because I feel like we don't plan on getting married until may of 2014(obv.) and I just want time to fly by but if I don't have anything to look forward to in the meantime it may take FOREVER!! But my fiancé does not want to seem greedy by asking for an engagement party, and a bridal shower and then a wedding. Personally I just want something to help ass the time. We are also paying for everything ourselves.... I don't know what the right thing to do is.. :(

Re: Engagement party?.

• Congrats on the engagement! FI and I are also getting married in May 2014 on Long Island! Where are you booked?

We are paying for everything ourselves and are not planning on having an engagement party but people still keep asking me where I am registered because they want to send us an engagement gift. I've been so busy trying to plan the wedding already that I don't think I need to fill any more of my time!
  • Congrats! We are also getting married in May 2014...we are paying for everything ourselves as well and just booked the ceremony & venue...we are not going to have an engagement party, although a few people have sent cards and gifts to our house :) Perhaps you can have something informal like a bbq or house party with finger foods? Nothing wrong with a little gathering to help celebrate your engagement...it will not cost much and it wont seem 'greedy'. Good luck with the planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats! I have been engaged since September and our friends are still wanting to plan an engagement party for us. My maid of honor came up with a good idea of having an engagement party with all of our wedding party so everyone can start getting to know each other.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone, I think the backyard BBQ is a great idea keep it low key but still nice. We a getting married a the miller place in, how about you??? I am so excited good luck to everyone and I can't wait to hear bout all the details, any of you get a dress yet?? When is a good time to start looking at dresses?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:9c4e8b3f-91d1-4ed1-8dbe-2f23e7c6483bPost:444215ad-63b0-4514-b1ae-4d6743785308">Re: Engagement party?.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone, I think the backyard BBQ is a great idea keep it low key but still nice. We a getting married a the miller place in, how about you??? I am so excited good luck to everyone and I can't wait to hear bout all the details, any of you get a dress yet?? When is a good time to start looking at dresses?
    Posted by vikiriegs[/QUOTE]

We are booked at the Bellport Country Club :)

I haven't even tried on any dresses yet. I am probably going to start in May/June just because I have so many other things going on and I currently live out of state but want to go back to LI to do dress shopping with my mom!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2014-weddings_engagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:19d54fbd-7c52-420d-abe6-dce14dfc8da4Discussion:9c4e8b3f-91d1-4ed1-8dbe-2f23e7c6483bPost:cd32ba49-8666-4f1f-93de-8e19cff47c90">Re: Engagement party?.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats! I have been engaged since September and our friends are still wanting to plan an engagement party for us. My maid of honor came up with a good idea of having an engagement party with all of our wedding party so everyone can start getting to know each other.
    Posted by ryanpaa10[/QUOTE]

<div>I like this idea. We were thinking of having an informal engagement party/ get to know the wedding party Party. And not asking for gifts but just having fun.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards