Outdoor Weddings

Tent or no tent in the middle of summer? Montana.

I'm planning my outdoor wedding for the first weekend in August in Northwestern Montana. I have been researching prices for "just in case it rains" tents and I was just quoted $2,000 for a tent large enough for 100+ people! Is this an average price because it sounds absolutely insane to me! The chance of rain is so slim in the summer. It rains every day in June but never again until October but, I know it's just a safety precaution or even for excessive heat I guess. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks ladies!

Re: Tent or no tent in the middle of summer? Montana.

• Tent, tent, tent!!!  Please shade your guests and offer them comfort.  You still need to offer them shade and and escape from heat.  If it is hot and you have no clouds that day your guests will be dropping from the heat OR they will be leaving because they are very uncomfortable.
  • I don't know anything about the heat in Montana, but August is usually way too hot to consider going without shade here.

A tent was out of our budget, so we chose a park that had plenty of mature trees for shade and shelters available in case of rain. A $50 shelter reservation sounded way better than tent rental prices, but if tents are your only option then it definitely isn't a corner you should cut. Maybe scale back on favors, flowers, or decor to make room in the budget.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know anything about the weather in Montana, but here in LA where we get no rain from April-October, I wouldn't plan on a tent for rain.

However, if you are having a daytime wedding, you definitely need to provide shade for your guests.  There's nothing more miserable that sitting in the hot sun.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_tent-or-no-tent-in-the-middle-of-summer-montana?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:aa9bd272-6aa7-4e9c-82c2-8fb132e4966cPost:b03452e0-fc42-4a62-9fd1-99d705127937">Tent or no tent in the middle of summer? Montana.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning my outdoor wedding for the first weekend in August in Northwestern Montana. I have been researching prices for "just in case it rains" tents and I was just quoted $2,000 for a tent large enough for 100+ people! Is this an average price because it sounds absolutely insane to me! The chance of rain is so slim in the summer. It rains every day in June but never again until October but, I know it's just a safety precaution or even for excessive heat I guess. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks ladies!
    Posted by cyarchever[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Is your reception inside? If it rains, could the ceremony be moved indoors? I would be nervous to just count on the weather being fantastic. Obviously you hope you won't need it, but I would set aside the money just in case. Hell, with the weather research I've been doing for that area...something crazy might happen and you'll have snow!</div><div>
    </div><div>On a side note...I'm planning my northwestern Montana wedding from Chicago and my fiance and I are going there next summer to look at venues. May I ask where you are getting married? I'm having a hard time finding websites and venues and I don't want to miss something beautiful. :) Thanks!!

</div>
  • I am so thankful we spent money on a tent covering our ceremony.  We didn't have a drop of rain, but the sun was hot that day.  The tent provided cool shade for our guests.  Definitely rent one, otherwise have your ceremony inside!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Provide shelter or the option of it.  Rent a park shelter or have a tent.  I would worry about the just incase rain. 
  • Outdoor weddings definitely do put you at risk for unexpected weather. And no matter what it's usually like, you can never know for sure, and you won't have a reliable forecast until just a few days out, so always plan for the worst. Also, the points here about sun are important. You don't want grandma to get heat exhaustion right as you're about to tie the knot. A tent is a must.
    Bronson Tyler Marketing Assistant www.thanksgivingpoint.org Be weird. Be different. Be something.
  • For my daughter's outdoor wedding and reception in August in SC we watched the weather forecast for 2 weeks prior to the date!  Every day it changed.  We had a tent on reserve just in case.  With 2 days to go and a 30% chance of showers we decided to go ahead and tent everything.  The band had told our coordinator that if it rained they would have to pack up and go home!  Go thing we made the decision to tent, because 90 min before the ceremony we had a brief shower and then during the reception it rained a little bit more.  You spend all that money on making everything beautiful...it would be a shame to not spend a little bit more and be sure your perfect day stays perfect!!!
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards