Missouri-Kansas City

HyVee Flowers

Have any of you booked HyVee for your flowers? Do you have any pictures or samples of their work? The HyVee website doesn't have any wedding sections for flowers...just vased flowers and stuff like that. Also, are their flower prices pretty reasonable? I know you get a discount if you use their catering, floral and cake. Thanks for any help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HyVee Flowers

• edited December 2011
    I actually used to work for Hy-Vee, and had a friend who worked in the floral shop,  they are pretty reasonable. They vary on which store you go to.  Some stores don't have the quality that other stores do.  Just ask to see any pictures of weddings they have done, they should have a book.  Or go to the catering dept.  they should also have a book and can tell you which arrangements their floral dept made.  I know a lot of other Knotties on here have recommended them!  The only thing I didn't like was that they charge you $25-$30 just to talk with them, even if you don't book with them.  The place we are getting our flowers as well as several others I talked to didn't do that.  I would shop around just to be sure:)    HTH!
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a consult with HyVee but we did not end up using them. IDK what PP is talking about because we didn't have to pay anything for the consult. When we went in, they did not have a lot of their actual pictures, mostly just idea books. That made me a little nervous. The prices are good, but I found similar pricing at another place that was strictly floral. I think the discount for using them for cake, catering and floral would probably make it worth it, but we already have a caterer.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• sarabeth14sarabeth14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We met with the one on 91st and Metcalf in OP but are using Dalton's Flowers. Just call the one you would want to use and ask to speak to the floral department, and then make an appointment. Their prices were actually the highest out of the 3 florists we met with, which surprised me since they were supposed to be cheap. The person I met with there also sort of made me feel bad for not having a good idea idea of what I wanted for flowers, even though we were 8 months out at the time. I don't know if she was used to meeting with people closer to the wedding, maybe. Overall, they were okay. I believe you do get a discount for multiple services like cake, flowers, and catering.
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting my flowers from HyVee on 6th Street in Lawrence and it was actually the cheapest place I visited.  I am getting all the flowers I want for about $150 less than some of the other places I looked at (I would have had to give up some things I wanted if I booked with another florist).  The floral designer was really nice and super helpful as I didn't have a super clear vision of what I wanted.    I did not have to pay a fee to meet with her but maybe some stores are different.  She also had a large album of work that she herself had done which was great because I have heard that some HyVee florists don't.

I am one of those people getting my cake, flowers and catering from HyVee.  They give a 10% discount on your entire order if you do.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mmk<3cws2010mmk<3cws2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally have not used them, but my mom did for her second wedding.  She had a small ceremony with only family.  The flowers were beautiful and from what she says relatively cheap.  I still have her bouquet, dried obviously, but it's still very pretty.  Everything was ready on time and the people were really nice.  The only thing is that was about 5 years ago...so I'm not sure how they are now.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011

I met with the floral consultant in Olathe (off of Santa Fe near Mur-Len) she was very nice but didn't have a book with pictures of her work.  She also was the most expensive even after I changed what I wanted to less expensive flowers.  I was going to meet with another Hy-Vee florist but have decided to just use the lady I found that was the least expensive and will give me everything I asked for.  Also some Hy-Vee's will still give you a 5% discount for getting the cake and catering through them.  That's what we are doing. 

I did have a good experience meeting with Dana from the Village Gardens in Blue Springs and she was less then Hy-Vee as well.  HTH

• edited December 2011
    I personally haven't used them (yet!?) but have heard really good things about them. Especially the one in Mission, KS.  It surprises me to read others experiences about them because I've heard they're great!  I am planning on going to a couple different florists (well and cake shops :) ) and show them what I want and go with which ever one is cheapest. All my friends who are married have told me to definitely have an idea or picture of what my vision is when you do both cake and flowers so I will definitely try to find those. I think florists and bakers maybe get a litte annoyed if you don't have any idea what you want or looking for, maybe they feel like they're wasting their time, i don't know :)

If you want me to get the name of the lady that my friend used from Mission Hyvee let me know!
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_hyvee-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:d3ec776c-1851-47c0-a271-d390006790e4Post:11c3b32f-e024-449f-822d-69abf123cb93">Re: HyVee Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE] I think florists and bakers maybe get a litte annoyed if you don't have any idea what you want or looking for, maybe they feel like they're wasting their time, i don't know :)
    Posted by MLC613[/QUOTE]

Anyone who thinks I'm wasting their time by giving them freedom to develop a vision and also throwing money at them, I wouldn't want to work with. Just sayin'...

The florist I ended up going with (Bella Design Studio) was AWESOME in helping me get my jumble of ideas into a coherant scheme, and didn't act snooty about it at all. THAT is what a vendor should be like.

ETA: Sorry if that sounded like I was attacking you, MLC. I wasn't. Just makes me angry when people don't like to do their job, and I don't think any of us should have to put up with that. :)

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    I agree with Maiyae, Dana from Village Gardens in Blue Springs is fantastic.  She had several really creative ways for us to cut costs while still getting what we wanted. 

The Hy-Vee in Blue Springs and the Hy-Vee in Prairie Village both charge for an appointment.  I talked to both of them, and that is what they told me.  When I questioned it, they said it was a corporate policy.  Obviously not the case if PP didn't have that experience. Just wanted to clarify which Hy-Vee I was referring to.
  • HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend used HyVee for her wedding last May and had a good experience.

It sounds like it can be hit or miss - obviously, the *main* focus at HyVee isn't weddings, but they have gotten some good reviews on here. I would call around to different locations and get a feel for the different florist; one may be "better" at weddings than another.

Also, I'd price compare. As PP stated, I was surprised to hear they were one of the more expensive options for some, but that's good information to know - they may not be the best option for you, depending on what you're looking for.

I agree that florists should be able to give you guidance. I am personally not a "flower gal" and hardly know the difference between different flowers, let alone what I want for my wedding. I went to my florist with some picutes (ie: I like this about this picture, the color in this one, the flower in this one, etc.) and she took those and helped my design my bouquets based on that information. I'd try to find someone who has at least somewhat of a vision of what can be done (unless you happen to already know exactly what you'd like).

Best of luck!!

• kwagner1211kwagner1211 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had such a lack of vision when meeting with florists that my number one criteria was to be abe to get a sense of my personality and go from there. The Hyvee I visited was not able to do that. In the end I priced four places and they were all within $100 of each other. Everyone is different though so make sure you just get a good feeling from whomever you meet with.
  • edited December 2011
    So it seems a lot of people found cheaper places then hyvee.  My plan was hyvee.  Anyone up north have another suggestion? 
  • edited December 2011
    If you want to DIY or have someone to help, buy your flowers from Costco or Sams. I'm getting 7 bouquets, centerpieces, boots and corsages for less than $250!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards