Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Photo facial? Anyone had any experiences?

Hello,
I've scheduled my first appointment to have a photofacial or IPL Laser treatment to get rid of melasma(age spots) on my face that occured because of being in the sun and taking birth control.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.
I've been to 2 different dermatologists and both say that is the best way to get rid of it quickly.  I've also been using lighteners which have worked to lighten however it's not completely gone.
Just wanted to see if any other brides out there have looked into, or had similar treatments to get rid of melasma.

Re: Photo facial? Anyone had any experiences?

• You are doing everything right in the process of diminishing the appearance of melasma. If you have already been using lightners (something with HQ I'm guessing), then you have already probably broken up a lot of that dark pigmentation and it will make it that much easier for the IPL to help lift the rest, or as much as possible. Photofacials are amazing at evening out skin tone.. and if you are able to incorporate a few into your regime then it is sure to help with the melasma. Personally, I've done them for sun damage.. but have seen TONS of happy clients with melasma that benefited greatly. You are taking the right steps!

• Hi, I don't usually post on this board, but read your post and had to reply. I had melasma fairly bad (IMO) and I used HQ for a long time and didn't really get any results. I started getting chemical peels at a Dermatologist about 6 months ago, and seriously the results are AMAZING!

They are only $125 a session (at my doc), which I think is cheaper than some laser treatment. I did 3 in a row, one a month, then took 3 months off, and just did one more. I will have 2 more before the wedding, but after the 3 original ones, I didn't really even need to do anymore. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Also, I recommend going to a doctors office because they can use much higher concentrates of the chemicals (than salons) so that you get more bang for your buck. I had also tried Microdermabrasion at a Salon before this and nothing compared to these results. I sound like a walking ad, I know, but I am so happy that the discoloration is gone, it really bothered me! Good Luck!
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Thanks for the information.  I'm going to try the laser my dermatologist is charging $150 per time because we are just doing the spots, she thinks I should only need 2 treatments.  If that doesn't give me good results I'll try doing the peels.

I'm glad to hear that there is hope that it can go away!!
  • I hear ya, I thought it was hopeless too! It isn't :)
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards