Second Weddings

Renewal

My husband and I have decided to renewal our love for each other after 8 yrs of being married. We have 2 small children 5 6 we would love to include them. Any ideas? Also we would love to do something with sand or rope knotting with the kids to also show our love for them. Any ideas? Thanks

Re: Renewal

• Hi : Your best bet for advice is not going to be from the ladies on the board. I'd just google "vow renewal" etiquette. There are a lot of great sites that will help you along the way with polite candid advice without being rude. Good luck.
  • Since Frenchred seems to think we're all rude here.....I'd tie the kids with the rope on the sand and see what comes of it.

Seriously, Nikki you know your family best.  What do you think they would want?  Usually these ceremonies are done during wedding ceremonies in which the two families get blended together, so I'm not sure about a vow renewal.  I'm not a fan of kids in a ceremony between two adults, whether it be a wedding or a vow renewal.  But that's just me.
  • I'd tie the kids with the rope on the sand and see what comes of it.
    Thanks to you,  I  came this close to spitting my ice tea all over my monitor. 
  • Frenchred is confused - she doesn't know the difference between a vow renewal and a do-over. 

Since you and your husband want to do a vow renewal and include the kids a sand ceremony is nice. as is the knot tying.  I would not ask the children to repeat any vows or make any promises - just participate in either of the ceremonies that you choose.  Vows should always be between the two adults.

We did the sand ceremony, it was something that was important to my DH and DSD.  During our reception a couple who are in the midst of planning their 30 year vow renewal told us that they hadn't seen a sand ceremony before but wanted to do that with their children. 
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_renewal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:6088755a-6e3e-49f3-9301-70c1f532fa6dPost:addf2643-1efc-45dc-a5f0-986563bac19a">Renewal</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I have decided to renewal our love for each other after 8 yrs of being married. We have 2 small children 5 6 we would love to include them. Any ideas? Also we would love to do something with sand or rope knotting with the kids to also show our love for them. Any ideas? Thanks
    Posted by Nikki&Jerred[/QUOTE]

I understand how you ended up here to ask a renewal question, Nikki&Jerred, because in my search of a vow renewal board, this was one I checked hoping there was a section or thread somewhere. There are so many of us planning renewals, we really should have our own board! Since the moderator,<font color="#000000"> RetreadBride, said you were welcome to post here, I'll answer your inquiry about ideas.

What sexes are your two children? We've got 2 boys and 2 girls that we are definitely having in the ceremony with us, but they are much older than your two. They are 18, 13, 11, and 8. Since my husband and I plan to have new rings (well, not exactly new since we plan to have the old set melted down and remade into a new set -- symbolic, don't you think?), we are having my 5 yo nephew be a ring bearer. We would like to do a family sand jar/vase that night, but I don't believe we are making it any kind of ceremony for the crowd. We'll probably just pull the kids off to the side during the dinner party, grab the photographer, and the hubby and I will explain to the kids in an object lesson kind of way how the colored sand is like our family.

Have you heard of The Hand Ceremony for vow renewals? It brings tears to my eyes. I'm pretty sure we'll be using that for our vows. I'll tell you more about that if you will tell me what you know about rope knotting, ok? I've never heard of that!

If it would make you more comfortable, feel free to send me a private message instead of talking in this thread. I love talking vow renewals.

Julie</font>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • The "HAND Ceremony" is a rip off of the Pagan Handfasting.  (this is the ORIGINAL wedding ceremony, and where the term "tie the knot" comes from)  I consider it a bastardization of our traditions, as so many Christian churches won't allow it, so they call it something different, and then take ownership.  BLAH!

This board is for ladies who are marrying, (hence the term SECOND weddings) not vow renewals.  There isn't any money in vow renewals, so of course theknot won't start a board on them.  They don't have a Pagan weddings board, either, but have boards for lots of other things.  And, even though 30% of the US population claims a Celtic heritage, and there are questions all the time on the Ceremonies and Traditions board about Pagan and/or Celtic weddings, no knot board for us, either.  :-( 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_renewal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:6088755a-6e3e-49f3-9301-70c1f532fa6dPost:addf2643-1efc-45dc-a5f0-986563bac19a">Renewal</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I have decided to renewal our love for each other after 8 yrs of being married. We have 2 small children 5 6 we would love to include them. Any ideas? Also we would love to do something with sand or rope knotting with the kids to also show our love for them. Any ideas? Thanks
    Posted by Nikki&Jerred[/QUOTE]

Jikki&Jerred, I just got word from Knot Lili that she is researching the need for a vow renewal board! She asked me to let people know she'd like PMs from people those thinking it's a good idea, so PLEASE send her a PM. I think if you will click on this link, it will make it easy for you:

<a href="http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/friends/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=0&membershipid=7934728686443038">http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/friends/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=0&membershipid=7934728686443038</a>

I hope it happens and I hope to see you on the new Vow Renewal forum! :)

Julie

ETA: Darn! I see that link didn't work! Try this: <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_budget-weddings_intro-to-knot-lili">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_budget-weddings_intro-to-knot-lili</a>  and click Private Message. I do hope you'll send her a quick note!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards