Attire & Accessories Forum

Opinions Please - Appropriate for a Wedding? PIP

I am looking for a dress to wear to my friend's wedding.  Her wedding is 9/4 and is at a golf course in Santa Barbara, CA.  Will this dress work?  I can't decide if it would be appropriate or not.  Thanks!

Anniversary

Re: Opinions Please - Appropriate for a Wedding? PIP

• You said that the wedding is at a golf course. If this means that it is ON the golf course, I'd say "maybe".

If it is at the golf club (indoors) I'd say that it's a little casual.
    It's beautiful, but the dress does say, "hey, look at me!" That would tend to make it not as appropriate, IMO.

Maybe ask others who are attending the wedding to find out what they're wearing?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_opinions-please-appropriate-wedding-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5db766c1-01aa-45f9-96d7-c8b849720ff4Post:252eee7b-0a49-4de6-9785-641ffa19ae5f">Re: Opinions Please - Appropriate for a Wedding? PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]You said that the wedding is at a golf course. If this means that it is ON the golf course, I'd say "maybe". If it is at the golf club (indoors) I'd say that it's a little casual.<strong> It's beautiful, but the dress does say, "hey, look at me!" That would tend to make it not as appropriate, IMO.</strong> Maybe ask others who are attending the wedding to find out what they're wearing?
    Posted by ttatum35[/QUOTE]

Eh?  Are we looking at the same dress?

It's super cute, and I say go for it.  Unless you're told that the wedding is formal, you're fine.
  • Thanks for the input ladies!

ttatum, the ceremony is outdoors and the reception is in a banquet hall on site.

snippy, thanks for agreeing that it's not "look at me!"  I noticed I tend to wear very plain clothes, so I am trying to wear things that have a bit more color/style/pattern to it.  ttatum's comment made me nervous and reminded me why I wear such plain clothes!
    Anniversary
  • where did you find this dress??  I love it!
    My Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    212 image Invited
    94 image Wouldn't miss it!
    75 image Are party-poopers
    43 image Are confused about how rsvps work
    RSVPS are due June 11th!
  • Even if it did say "hey look at me." I don't think that makes it inappropriate for a wedding.  Just because you're attending a wedding doesn't mean you have to wear boring clothes so you don't risk stealing the spotlight from the bride. Undecided

I like the dress and think it's quite wedding appropriate.
  • Ditto Snippy, unless it's a super-formal wedding, I think it's fine. I'm really failing to see the inappropriate"Hey, look at me!" that ttatum is talking about.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I think it is cute and perfect for a wedding
  • I lived in Santa Barbara for 4 years. It's fine. In fact, it's perfect. It's a really casual town. Even when it's formal. if you're concerned, bring a simple wrap and wear dressier shoes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_opinions-please-appropriate-wedding-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5db766c1-01aa-45f9-96d7-c8b849720ff4Post:c1dcbfeb-c99e-4d72-808c-6d1394c69555">Re: Opinions Please - Appropriate for a Wedding? PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]where did you find this dress??  I love it!
    Posted by ottecl[/QUOTE]

<div>I saw it on the website <a href="http://www.ideeli.com" rel='nofollow'>www.ideeli.com</a></div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the input everyone!  I think I might just go ahead and buy it :-)</div>
    Anniversary
  • Unless the wedding is super formal, I think the dress is great! I'd wear it with some really hot shoes and earrings. I'd skip a necklace since the neckline already has some interesting details. 
    Anniversary
  • I think it's fine. It looks like a dress that people would...well...wear to a wedding or maybe I dress wrong for weddings?

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone!  I did end up purchasing it.  Yay new dresses!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_opinions-please-appropriate-wedding-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:5db766c1-01aa-45f9-96d7-c8b849720ff4Post:b88e79bc-e16f-43b1-b980-ec099955f263">Re: Opinions Please - Appropriate for a Wedding? PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]What shoes are you planning to wear?
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

<div>I hadn't thought that far yet! Haha.  I currently have a pair of black pumps that will obviously go.  I am trying to find a pair of yellow shoes for my shower dress and red shoes for some honeymoon dresses.  Will those be too much to wear to someone else's wedding?</div>
    Anniversary
  • ritakellyritakelly member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I don't think it would bother me if someone wore yellow with that dress to my wedding (I tend not to wear Black and Red together because that's the colors of my college rivals) but on my wedding day anyone not in a white wedding dress will not be able to "steal my thunder".
    I think the only think I will be upset about is if someone showed up in something skanky (like revealing). I think a colored shoe would look really cute. You could even compliment the shoes with the same colored clutch or jewelry :).
  • If you want to spice it up, I would skip the black pumps and go for a colored pump! You could wear any color you want!! Take the risk since you mentioned you don't usually. Go for it!
  • If you want to spice it up, I would skip the black pumps and go for a colored pump! You could wear any color you want!! Take the risk since you mentioned you don't usually. Go for it!
  • Like these perhaps?

Anniversary
  • LOVE that dress. And I think the yellow peep toes you posted would be adorably summery. 

Rock that style, girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Absolutely adorable! I LOVE the yellow heels, too!
    Go for it! :)
    Anxiously awaiting our September 10th wedding in Ohio, and our September 17th wedding in liverpool, England! So blessed to be marrying the man of my dreams! Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

• Those would be so cute with that dress!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards