Wedding Etiquette Forum

Alcohol for Brunch

We are trying to keep costs down, but I'm thinking that 1) the fact that we're having a brunch will minimize bar tab already and 2) limiting bar options will as well

Does this sound alright?

Wine - I was going to offer house wine. They charge by the bottles opened. There is absolutely nothing being served that would pair with a red wine. Do I only offer a white? or both
Beer - Any domestic.
Mixed - Mimosas and Bloody Mary's
Soft Drink
Fruit Punch
(non alcoholic...something different for non-drinkers)

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how to budget alcohol costs in general?

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: Alcohol for Brunch

• We had unlimited mimosas and a glass of wine for the toast for our lunch. We considered Bloody Marys, but to cut cost, we cut those out. I just didn't think enough people would drink them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sparkling wine sounds like a good idea for the toast and then nix the wine then maybe. I hadn't considered not offering at all, but that's a good suggestion...it would really be a poor pairing to the food. 

Mimosas and Bloody Mary's are both 5.50 each and charged by the glass. My family will go nuts over the BMs.  So I figured I'd do both.

Beer is $3.25 - $4 a glass and FI's friends are much more into beer which is why I think it's necessary.

The Punch is more of a tropical fruit punch and works out to like $1.30 a glass, so it's the most economical option. I think the non-drinkers will go for that and soda.

I'm also going to ask if there can be a water station with some lemons in it.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • All I have to say is that I'd be devistated to attend a brunch without mimosas.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Me too!!!
    imageimageimage

• I'm also having a "Champagne Brunch" after our morning ceremony.
    We have Mimosas (which I Love) and Bloody Mary's...with option for wine and beer if guests so desire...but somehow I don't think people will have it since the food will really not call for wine or beer, but we wanted to give the option, just incase.
  • bellinis
    baileys and kahlua for coffee drinkers
  • I'm pretty sure if you have a wedding brunch and don't offer mimosas, your marriage is invalid.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think a mimosa bar is all you need for brunch!     

Anniversary
  • Dont forget coffee and tea, and if you're having kids hot choc and marshmallows could be a big hit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_alcohol-for-brunch?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:252737b8-c925-47f2-ad1f-1fa5ac9dc688Post:145250ef-9234-4c0d-9252-a3294fa0b195">Re: Alcohol for Brunch</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also having a "Champagne Brunch" after our morning ceremony. We have Mimosas (which I Love) and Bloody Mary's...with option for wine and beer if guests so desire...but somehow I don't think people will have it since the food will really not call for wine or beer, but we wanted to give the option, just incase.
    Posted by lenasilva00[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Alcohol for Brunch:[QUOTE]I'm pretty sure if you have a wedding brunch and don't offer mimosas, your marriage is invalid. Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Shoot, your brunch is invalid, and your existence is questionable. In my mind anyway.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• bellinis are also a fab brunch drink.

but I'd certainly be happy with just mimosas too. mmmmmmmmmmmm

You really could probably cut wine. Truth be told not having beer at a brunch isn't too radical an idea either (men like orange juice and veggie juice too...). But I suppose beer does make some people very happy....
  • LOL don't worry, the mimosas will be there.

I hadn't thought of Bellini's. I'll look into those too. I don't want to do only mimosas because they wouldn't be popular with the men in our crowd.

There is def. a big beer crowd ...the wedding reception goes till 4 so i figure we leave it.
    imageimageimage

• How many people are you having? I would think most people would probably be fine with just mimosas, beer and soft drinks/fruit punch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think Mimosas, Bloody Mary's, beer, wine,  soft drinks, juices and water is a good mix for a brunch party that is lasting until 4pm.

Maybe its  because I lived in the islands and New Orleans, but Bloody Mary's are pretty popular, in some cases more popular than Mimosas.  I know a lot of non-champagne drinkers, that even includes mimosas.   

I'm also a fan of offering has many options as you can afford.      As far as counts go.  A good rule of thumb is  2 drinks the first 1-2 hours and 1 drink each hour after.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't think I said wine is cheaper? Wine is $6.00 a glass, but once the bottle is opened I have to pay for the whole bottle.

Having Bloody Marys in addition to Mimosas is not a cost adder. They are priced per drink at $5.50

Approx 75 guests. Coffee and Tea are also served. A little over half of them drink alcohol. My mother's family doesn't really drink...and they drink less (like...hide and drink) when my grandmother is present.

imageimageimage

• Oh, it's their house wine. Im not sure what that means but I'm sure it's crap and like an $8 bottle. They charge $6 a glass, but once the bottle's open I'm responsible to buy the whole bottle I guess. It makes no sense to me why it's not more expensive than mixed drinks but whatever... FI agrees with the suggestion to take it out of the scenario all together.  This was a helpful thread.

We're in love with the brunch idea. It's our favorite meal, we drive to different places when we can just for brunch. We were originally planning a dinner, but we saw one place that did it and just got stuck on the idea and asked the current venue to do it for us.
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards