Just Engaged and Proposals

Just Engaged...Step 1 Budget...HOW MUCH?

Chris and I just got engaged Dec. 16th.  We are so very excited!  Having spent the better part of my free time over the holidays on the knot, I realize the first step is to set the budged.  How do you decide?  We are fortunate to have family helping significantly.  How much is appropriate to spend?  We are thinking 275-320 guests. 

Any suggestions?

Re: Just Engaged...Step 1 Budget...HOW MUCH?

•  What kind of wedding do you want?  buffet? sit-down?  All-inclusive (for example a hall or country club) or a venue you can use your own caterer (for example church or firehalls)?

There are a lot of variables (including location in the states) that determine the budget.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Just a word of advice, don't count on money until the check has cleared the bank. A lot of girls come here after their families have promised them money, then not followed through on it.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Well, how much have your families offered to contribute? How much can you save each month until your wedding? Know that you'll need to have cash in hand about a year out, at least, for various deposits.

Do you have a date in mind, or will that be determined by budget?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Congrats!  Try using the budget tool here on the Knot.
  • Find out how much you'll have to work with first.  That amount will dictate the type of wedding that you can afford, not the other way around...

• I second the, don't count on the money until it is in hand. When a mom or dad says we will pay for it, they usually have no idea how much a wedding can cost. So, only if your parents offer, say "what are you comfortable giving by X date?"  Then figure out how much you can save by X date.

Everyone's wedding budget is very different. Some brides spend 5,000 and others spend 100,000. Also remember you will have to pay deposits, so make sure you have the check deposited before you think about booking the venue.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-engagedstep-1-budgethow-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:33efcd90-74ad-4880-8dcd-7c2d2eb726bfPost:830e685f-31de-4d0c-ada0-b44936211f0f">Re: Just Engaged...Step 1 Budget...HOW MUCH?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Find out how much you'll have to work with first.  That amount will dictate the type of wedding that you can afford, not the other way around...
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

I think some budgets can be done without the money figured out first.  I know we did. 

We decided on the non-negotiables.  In our case it was our guest list, full meal, an open bar and dancing.  We also wanted a sit-down meal and a beach location, but those were wishlist items, not a must haves.

We researched how much it would take to get those things.  Looked at our finances and realized we could afford what we wanted.  That became our budget (sort of, we really did not have one per se).

Now after we did research we found we did not have the money needed to get what we wanted we would have made some chances.

There a lot of ways to figure out a budget.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Start with how much you're parents are offering, and how much the two of your can reasonably save.  Have you discussed an approximate date yet?

From there, start looking around and figure out what you'd be able to do with 300 people for that price.  If you aren't happy with that, you'll have to decide whether you need to trim the guest list or save more money, possibly pushing your date out. 
  • holy crap.. Seriously?  275-300 guests?! That's not a wedding, that's a carnival.
  • for a wedding that large. your talking at least 30,000 dollars ...that does not include a dj flowers favors your dress and everything and anything else that would be just for the reception if you are looking at an average of about 100 pp
  • I think we need a little more info before giving better advice....it really depends on what type of wedding you are looking to have.....
    also, if your families are helping, have they set a limit, or paying for it regardless of the price?  B/c if there is no limit, then really there is no budget.
    But I agree with another post, with 300 people, you are looking to spend over $20K (closer to $30K really) for a "average" venue ranging from $75-100PP. 
    Then plan on $1500-2000 on photgrapher (or even more)
    $1000 DJ
    $1000-3000 Dress
    $1000-3000 flowers
    and prob another $5000 for misc things like favors, rentals, transportation, etc.
    Now of course these are average and can be more or less depending on your vendors.  (I have a friend that is getting all the above for around $3K)
    I'm having an "average" wedding, and prob spending around $20K. 

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards