Registry and Gift Forum

Need help on etiquette for registering gift!!! Please

Me and my fiancé are moving into a house in April of this year and want to getting married (elope) before we move in but we are having a big ceremony and reception next year around this time. My question is it tacky to have registries for this year and next year? or keep the same registry? My bridesmaids for next year are throwing an engagement party next month and my mom a bridal shower and keep asking if they should include a registry on the invitations. Thoughts on this???

Re: Need help on etiquette for registering gift!!! Please

• MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2012
    If you elope now, the thing next year will be a vow renewal.  Engagement parties, showers, bridal parties and registries are all inappropriate for vow renewals.  

You can have a small registry with an elopement, but most people won't use it, and you certainly don't tell anyone about it unless directly asked.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_need-etiquette-registering-gift-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9f104276-5bcf-485e-999b-dec3ce2a0894Post:e5381024-4187-4cf1-b8fd-b808c8245891">Re: Need help on etiquette for registering gift!!! Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you elope now, the thing next year will be a vow renewal.  Engagement parties, showers, bridal parties and registries are all inappropriate for vow renewals.   You can have a small registry with an elopement, but most people won't use it, and you certainly don't tell anyone about it unless directly asked.
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Agree, you can have an appropriate vow renewal next year, but since you will already by married by then, it is not a wedding. Your elopement will be your wedding. No pre-wedding functions, no bridal party after you are married because, well, you will already be married. 
    </div><div>
    </div><div>You could set up a very small registry should someone attending your vow renewal decide they want to buy you a gift. They will ask for registry info, you do not advertise it.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_need-etiquette-registering-gift-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9f104276-5bcf-485e-999b-dec3ce2a0894Post:9c579222-e343-4a8b-875e-4293200cf10f">Need help on etiquette for registering gift!!! Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Me and my fiancé are moving into a house in April of this year and <strong>want to getting married (elope) </strong>before we move in <strong>but we are having a big ceremony and reception next year around this time. </strong>My question is it tacky to have registries for this year and next year? or keep the same registry? My bridesmaids for next year are throwing an engagement party next month and my mom a bridal shower and keep asking if they should include a registry on the invitations. Thoughts on this???
    Posted by Melis89[/QUOTE]
    If you elope, you don't register.  <div>
    </div><div>If you elope, you also don't get another ceremony and reception.  You renew your vows on an important anniversary, and you have a party, not a reception, which doesn't involve gifts.</div>
  • Ditto previous posters.  You should not have pre-wedding parties once you are already married.

• If you choose to have a vow renewal next year, I would not expect any gifts at that event. I would also not register.

Why would you do this? Will your guests know you are already legally married when they come to your vow renewal?
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_need-etiquette-registering-gift-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9f104276-5bcf-485e-999b-dec3ce2a0894Post:b96749eb-775b-4c21-ba42-923761c2e8da">Re: Need help on etiquette for registering gift!!! Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need help on etiquette for registering gift!!! Please : Agree, you can have an appropriate vow renewal next year, but since you will already by married by then, it is not a wedding. Your elopement will be your wedding. No pre-wedding functions, no bridal party after you are married because, well, you will already be married.  You could set up a very small registry should someone attending your vow renewal decide they want to buy you a gift. They will ask for registry info, you do not advertise it.
    Posted by MNVegas[/QUOTE]

All of this. You are not having a wedding next year; you will already be married. Can I ask, OP, why you are doing it this way? If you want a big ceremony and reception, then just do that. Why would you elope first? If you would rather it be a private thing, then elope. But you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards