Wedding Reception Forum

Ideas for Kissing Games

Alright, so we plan on having a pretty interactive game going thoughout the dinner portion of the evening.  Basically we plan on naming the tables song titles and when that song is played (randomly through dinner) the table can get up and do their funky dance.  We plan on only playing a short snip of every table song like about 1 min.. that way people wont have to be up dancing too long.. I'm thinking pretty much by the time they make it to the dance floor the song will be 1/2 over.

Anyway, since we are doing that I am stuck on what to do for the kissing game.  I was looking for some "new" and creative ideas if you have any.  Right now I am in favour of people offering marriage advice to us... but not sure if that is too much with the dancing going on as well... any thoughts?

Re: Ideas for Kissing Games

• Honestly, as a wedding guest I don't know that I'd be jazzed about either of those ideas.  For one thing, I'm pretty okay with dancing but I know a lot of people who won't dance unless they're blitzed.  I feel like if you don't have every last person participating it won't be much fun.

And as for the kissing games, that was hands down my least favorate part of my own wedding (FI's family has the tradition of clinking glasses, I think it's terribly obnoxious) and my whole family was asking me later what that was all about because they'd never seen it done before.  If there's a kissing tradition that both of your families are familiar and comfortable with, then I would say go for it.  But otherwise I would just kiss when you feel like it. 

Good luck with your planning!
  • We're planning on doing a variation on your dancing idea. Since we dread the thought of clinking glasses, we're going to tell our guests if they want to see a kiss, they have to take centre stage for 15-30 seconds and dance. They can do it solo, as a couple, or in a group. We're going to provide the dj with a selection of easily recognizable, fun songs (ie A Little Less Conversation; the Chicken Dance...).
    Glass clinking is extremely common here, but over the last several years it's become popular to come up with other gimmicks to involve the guests more. I've seen singing songs with love, kiss or marriage in the lyrics; I've seen having to make a putt on a small putting green, and I've seen having to ride a tricycle around the entire room. Knowing our friends and family, nobody should have an issue with dancing for less than a minute.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would not enjoy the dancing table thing as a wedding guest.  I really would not like having the whole room staring at me while my table was dancing, and I would probably try to be out of the room if I knew it was coming up.  It's not my thing. 

For the kissing game--if people will be clinking glasses to get you and your new husband to kiss, some of the DJs in my area told me about a game that they do.  Beforehand, you give the DJ a list of married couples in the room (pick people who won't be embarrassed to play).  When guests clink their glasses, the DJ will announce the game and call on one of the couples on the list to kiss.  You could do a competition out of it where the best kiss would get a prize (one DJ suggested a certificate, but you could also use it to give away your bouquet). 
  • LidleD - So do you think I could tie my table dancing idea in with the kissing...
    Like if they want us to kiss they will have to dance when the DJ plays their table song?
    The whole idea of the table songs scares me a little... It all started with me not wanting to number the tables then I saw a similar idea on a tv show.  Basically I thought it would be fun for our guests to get up and dance... for a bit.  The whole thing will be optional and explained by our MC.  Do you think we could get the MC to explain that this is how you get us to kiss?  eeek I don't know...

I just wanted something different - I understand it wont be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a little more out of the box than normal.  The bridal party keeps saying they like the idea... it will be fun for us at the head table to watch them! :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:5e9018e3-75dd-49f9-b65a-4207147417c1">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]This sounds like the most annoying and least fun wedding ever. Please don't do this.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! I would be very uncomfortable if this ever went on at a wedding I was at, and would strongly consider leaving asap. Weddings aren't a time for games, they are a time to eat, drink, and dance and catch up with old friends and family. Games and dances like that will make a large number of your guest list very uncomfortable.
  • The dinner portion of your evening is for your guests to eat their dinner and talk to other guests at their table -- not for being interrupted and forced to do a jig.  If I were one of your guests, I would make a beeline for the bathroom or something.  Not everyone is outgoing and the last thing you want to do is make your guests feel uncomfortable whether they dance or not. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    As a guest, i would be so busy eating and socializing that I wouldn't even notice that the "DJ was playing my song".  (Darn you, Miley Cyrus!)  I'd also not want to feel pressured to get up and dance, even if it's optional.  What if I'm the only one at the table who's really shy and doesn't want to do it?  Then I look like a complete jerk sitting there like a stick in the mud.  Please don't put your guests on puppet strings.   I'm on the skip it wagon.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:928b9330-1445-4c51-963c-9681c9690503">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the posters who said to NOT do the dancing game. I would be highly annoyed if I was having a conversation or drinking wine and then was coerced to dance. Please don't do this. <strong>And for the person who recommended asking guest couples to kiss ... don't do that either. No one likes to be put on the spot. Just let your guests eat, drink, and be merry all on their own.</strong>
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

I posted that idea that we got when we were interviewing DJs, but I wanted to clarify that it's not something that we're doing.  We had two DJs mention it: the first was kind of weird and over the top, and it sounded crazy, and the second was more laid back and professional, and I could see it working if you had couples that you knew would like it.  It doesn't appeal to us, though, and I don't see why we need any kind of organized/mandatory fun when we're having good food, good music, and free booze. 

Just a suggestion for the OP of something that I don't think is too bad.  I'd rather give my FI a peck on the lips and have everyone clap than have to do the chicken dance (or any dance) at the table during dinner.  Even a minute of that would feel like forever. 
  • The best advice I got on this was...Let people clink their glasses to get you to kiss. 

When they do this the first time do the following 1) Let the clinking build up a little 2) Stand up 3) Smile 4) Give each other a nice big smooch. 
    This should give everyone time to witness said kiss and think that you did it right and for the photographer to get a pic. 

The second time the clinking starts just ignore it, continue your conversation/eating/whatever.  Repeat this step if necessary. 

Game over. Guests are happy since you smooched and there were no crazy games involved, and you are not forced into making out every 9 seconds. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Please no games. Guests are there to celebrate with you so don't put them on the spot. Let them eat, let them drink and have a good time.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:e68d3c16-f126-4166-ba2d-50199804c155">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, as a wedding guest I don't know that I'd be jazzed about either of those ideas.  For one thing, I'm pretty okay with dancing but I know a lot of people who won't dance unless they're blitzed.  I feel like if you don't have every last person participating it won't be much fun.<strong> And as for the kissing games, that was hands down my least favorate part of my own wedding (FI's family has the tradition of clinking glasses, I think it's terribly obnoxious) and <u>my whole family was asking me later what that was all about because they'd never seen it done before</u>.</strong>  If there's a kissing tradition that both of your families are familiar and comfortable with, then I would say go for it.  But otherwise I would just kiss when you feel like it.  Good luck with your planning!
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm asking this as sincerely and non-snarkily as possible -- does your entire family live under a rock... in a cave... on the moon?
  • Thanks for all the feed-back. 
    I am just so worried of having a cookie cutter wedding... I thought something out of the box would be fun.  I see all your points though... let's leave the dinner portion just dinner and let the dancing come later!  I must say, even though I do like the idea of the table songs, I don't want to make people uncomfortable.  BUT  everyone SAYS I have to have a kissing thing... I said the glass clinking, but I guess that wont do. 

Anyone have some ideas?  I've heard of people coming up to offer marriage advice for a kiss.  OR singing a song or something...
    I don't want anyone riding a tricycle or doing the hula hoop or anything.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:9310fb21-2ddd-4641-ab28-c2e0347e9cb9">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the feed-back.  <strong>I am just so worried of having a cookie cutter wedding</strong>... I thought something out of the box would be fun.  I see all your points though... let's leave the dinner portion just dinner and let the dancing come later!  I must say, even though I do like the idea of the table songs, I don't want to make people uncomfortable.  <strong>BUT  everyone SAYS I have to have a kissing thing... I said the glass clinking, but I guess that wont do.</strong>  Anyone have some ideas?  I've heard of people coming up to offer marriage advice for a kiss.  OR singing a song or something... I don't want anyone riding a tricycle or doing the hula hoop or anything.
    Posted by mandy1023[/QUOTE]

So you don't want a cookie cutter wedding, but you're going to do something it sounds like you're not all that enthusiastic about because everyone says you have to?  Only do what you're comfortable with and what will give the wedding the feel you want it to have (as long as that doesn't include embarassing your guests). 

If people ask what your plans are, tell them you are keeping things under wraps or still ironing out all the details.  If someone says, "you should totally have a unicycle and whoever stays on the longest gets your bouquet," thank them for their suggestion and change the topic. 
  • I am just so worried of having a cookie cutter wedding... I thought something out of the box would be fun. 

Sometimes there's a reason why things aren't popular at a wedding (example, most people don't like games or singalongs).

Don't feel the need to make your wedding super-unique and memorable. A wedding is a wedding is a wedding to most people, no matter what you do, and people won't remember all the little details so why knock yourself out? Do what YOU want to do so that you remember the day ... and treat people well, and give them the best food and drinks you can afford, and they'll remember having a good time.

Hardly anyone (except recent/future brides or design enthusiasts) talks about stuff from weddings like linens and colors. They talk about how good/bad and plenntiful the food and drinks were, they'll talk about it if they somehow didn't have a seat, they'll talk about it if the service sucked, and they'll talk about it if they had to participate in lame games or annoying singalongs. And they'll talk about whether you were a happy, gracious couple, or whether you were fighting or being a bridezilla or sobbing in a corner all night.
  • Well clearly I am not in the majority here...but I think that the dancing game is cute.

I've never been to a wedding with a kissing game. Is it a regional thing or do I live under a rock?

Follow Me on Pinterest
    my read shelf:
    Savanna Funkhouser's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would be pretty annoyed if my dinner kept getting interrupted by dance songs and groups of people getting up to dance.

"You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:e68d3c16-f126-4166-ba2d-50199804c155">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, as a wedding guest I don't know that I'd be jazzed about either of those ideas.  For one thing, I'm pretty okay with dancing but I know a lot of people who won't dance unless they're blitzed.  I feel like if you don't have every last person participating it won't be much fun. <div>
    </div><div>............</div><div>
    </div><div> But otherwise I would just kiss when you feel like it.  Good luck with your planning!
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

</div><div>All of this.  A wedding I went to last summer had this "the whole table gets up and sings a funny song" thing they were doing and it was unbearable - to watch and to participate in.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:1c94f627-4a1e-4068-9b1f-00e66aff961b">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well clearly I am not in the majority here...but I think that the dancing game is cute. I've never been to a wedding with a kissing game. Is it a regional thing or do I live under a rock?
    Posted by Savanna111911[/QUOTE]

You've really never been to a wedding where the guests clink on their glasses with their silverware until the bride and groom kiss?
  • A game that was used at our wedding to get us to kiss was who can hoola hoop the longest. The longer the hoola, the longer the kiss :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:71d1320e-d57a-44de-8189-9a3525cfbd7d">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas for Kissing Games : You've really never been to a wedding where the guests clink on their glasses with their silverware until the bride and groom kiss?
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]

I haven't either..... never heard of it until reading this board. Apparently it's a regional thing??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:947b9421-5930-429a-8756-b46fa8201a4d">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas for Kissing Games : I haven't either..... never heard of it until reading this board. Apparently it's a regional thing??
    Posted by NolaBride2012[/QUOTE]

I guess one could consider North America a region...
  • I have been to weddings where people clink their glasses to get the couple to kiss.  I find it annoying.  I would find a game where guests had to do something to get the couple to kiss even more annoying.  I can also promise you that if we were sitting waiting for dinner and the DJ announced that everyone at the table had to get up to dance when a certain song was played, my husband would be out the door and in the car before the DJ stopped talking.

You don't have to do anything to entertain your guests other than provide good food, good drinks, music and good company.  Let your guests be the adults they are and enjoy the evening.

• i think it is ur wedding and u should do what you want.  if u have a cookie cutter wedding or do somethign different every single guest is not going to love it.  some prefer going to cookie cutter weddign and some like something different.  my only suggestion would be to not interrupt dinner with thenm needing to get up to dance. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:23177194-553d-4f97-8a9e-5a0eeb13a703">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas for Kissing Games : I guess one could consider North America a region...
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]

Ziti, sorry you're unfamiliar but there are plenty of places where this tradition isn't common.  And this last comment did sound snarky, for the record. 
  • All you people whining about how you don't want to dance or kiss or Whatever you're forgetting something... You're at a party, the biggest most expensive parry most people will ever throw in their lifetimes. Relax, dance, kiss, celebrate, don't be such a stick in the mud geez.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ideas-kissing-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:84e1d5bc-e90e-4d89-8a63-037c0be3958cPost:b1ce38b5-a051-4148-a3df-e4144ab95ca6">Re: Ideas for Kissing Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]All you people whining about how you don't want to dance or kiss or Whatever you're forgetting something... You're at a party, the biggest most expensive parry most people will ever throw in their lifetimes. Relax, dance, kiss, celebrate, don't be such a stick in the mud geez.
    Posted by Melsie83[/QUOTE]

A good hostess doesn't do things that will intentionally make his/her guests uncomfortable.  Forcing people to dance on command, kiss on command, or do anything else "on command" is a sure way to make **some** guests uncomfortable.

My DH doesn't mind dancing at all-when we're on the dance floor with a lot of other people.  Make him get up with just a couple of other folks and dance to a song that's not a tempo he's comfortable dancing to, and now you're making him uncomfortable:  does he get up and dance and feel awkward and on display, or does he refuse to get up with the rest of the table and feel awkward and on display.

It's not at all about being a "sitck in the mud".  It's about being a gracious and thoughtful host.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I think the clicking glasses is obnoxious.  I did go to a wedding that to get the bride and groom to kiss, you had to go serenade them.  This worked out well for tow reasons.  1) Most people were to chicken to do it - cut down on the whole thing all together and 2) those who did it went all out and it was a lot of fun to watch.  
  • In Response to Re: Ideas for Kissing Games:

WOW you guys are harsh!! What happened to, "It's your wedding, do what you want"? I have been to over 20 weddings and 95% of them had kissing games. Mind you, I wouldn't be super pumped over having to go dance in front of everyone...but if you make it OPTIONAL...you aren't putting anyone on the spot who doesn't want to be.
    I have seen trivia games about the couple, I've seen "demonstrate the kiss you want us to do" ..honestly that one was hilarious, I've seen sing a song with the word love...not a huge fan, I have seen a giant yahtzee game where you have to roll doubles to get the couple to kiss. THAT one was the best.

Regardless of what you do, you know your family and friends best. If you think it would be a hit, go for it!
  • One of the weddings I planned the Groom and bride came up with idea that the person or persons would stand and sing a song with the word love in it to the Married Couple to make them kiss. It went well, and was fun. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards