Plus-Sized

Torn about (the?) dress...

Hey Everyone! I found a dress that I really love (see below!) and I really want it.. but if you check out the pictures of it from behind (http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Cap-Sleeved-Satin-Side-Draped-A-Line-Gown-9T3090) in the skirt all the pick-ups meet in a way that the seam down the middle is super noticeable! It's annoying the crap out of me! Why would they do that? Was it intentional? I haven't seen other skirts like this. Am I being overly picky? I LOVE the top so gosh darn much and I haven't found anything online/instore that I like as much, so I'm torn!

Re: Torn about (the?) dress...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_torn-about-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5a59e3fc-9239-45f9-bc99-558d046f01c6Post:865b85c6-6d54-41dc-b535-59414b2a1c7e">Torn about (the?) dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Everyone! I found a dress that I really love (see below!) and I really want it.. but if you check out the pictures of it from behind ( <a href="http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Cap-Sleeved-Satin-Side-Draped-A-Line-Gown-9T3090" rel="nofollow">http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Cap-Sleeved-Satin-Side-Draped-A-Line-Gown-9T3090</a> ) in the skirt all the pick-ups meet in a way that the seam down the middle is super noticeable! It's annoying the crap out of me! Why would they do that? Was it intentional? I haven't seen other skirts like this. Am I being overly picky? I LOVE the top so gosh darn much and I haven't found anything online/instore that I like as much, so I'm torn!
    Posted by RMcDougle[/QUOTE]

So, I hate to say this...   but, a cousin just wore this dress a few months ago to her wedding, and that was one of the first things I noticed.  It is a beautiful dress on top, but the pickups are just sorta wierd.    I may be biased, because I'm generally not a fan of pickups anyway, but the way they just sort of seperated down the center of the dress in the back seemed particularly odd to me.
  • I don't have an issue with the pick-ups in the back. I think it's a beautiful dress. But if they bother you that much maybe see if there is some sort of applique or embelishment they can add to a few of the pickups to make them less symmetrical? Or maybe some sort of emblishment down that center line to give the pick-ups purpose?

I think the dress is gorgeous, but you don't want to buy something that's going to bother you that much.

That being said, when I first tried on my gown, it has some really kinda wonky, dramatic pick-ups going on in both front and back. and initially, I had wanted to get rid of them, but the longer I looked at the dress, the more I realized that I actually loved the interest they added.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_torn-about-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5a59e3fc-9239-45f9-bc99-558d046f01c6Post:d422995f-a4d5-43b2-9207-ea03135d6d52">Re: Torn about (the?) dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have an issue with the pick-ups in the back. I think it's a beautiful dress. But if they bother you that much maybe see if there is some sort of applique or embelishment they can add to a few of the pickups to make them less symmetrical? <strong>Or maybe some sort of emblishment down that center line to give the pick-ups purpose?</strong> I think the dress is gorgeous, but you don't want to buy something that's going to bother you that much. That being said, when I first tried on my gown, it has some really kinda wonky, dramatic pick-ups going on in both front and back. and initially, I had wanted to get rid of them, but the longer I looked at the dress, the more I realized that I actually loved the interest they added.
    Posted by heroeswearbrown[/QUOTE]

I was thinking this also. Maybe even like buttons or something?  Or pearls/crystals all the way down the seam?
  • Those are good ideas! Or maybe a sash with long tails in the back.. Any of those might help to distract from the awkwardness of the seam : Thanks girls!!
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_torn-about-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5a59e3fc-9239-45f9-bc99-558d046f01c6Post:7b544b99-d323-4a24-a05b-6bedd27faabd">Re:Torn about the? dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Those are good ideas! Or maybe a sash with long tails in the back.. Any of those might help to distract from the awkwardness of the seam : Thanks girls!!
    Posted by RMcDougle[/QUOTE]

PS.  I don't know if you have looked yet, but if you go to the DB web page for that dress, and look at the reviews at the bottom of the page.  Sort them by "photos first". You can see pictures of other brides that have this dress and how it looks when it is bustled.    It really is a lot less noticable.

If you otherwise are in love with the dress, maybe the small amount of the time train is down won't bother you as much.
  • I just bought this dress!!  And yes, one of the things that I didn't LOVE was the back.  When I went the second time to decide if it was "the dress", the alterations lady came out and showed me several different bustles they could do and the "seam" was not noticable in any of them.  I asked if it was possible to add buttons or something on it and she said that they don't do that type of alteration, but that it wouldn't be dificult to do.  She did say to make sure that you do any of that before you add the bustle.  

I like the idea of a sash with a long back bow, too.  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_torn-about-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5a59e3fc-9239-45f9-bc99-558d046f01c6Post:672b4f51-0f09-4d47-ac5a-d1d3d1aaf696">Re:Torn about the? dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Torn about the? dress... : PS.  I don't know if you have looked yet, but if you go to the DB web page for that dress, and look at the reviews at the bottom of the page.  Sort them by "photos first". You can see pictures of other brides that have this dress and how it looks when it is bustled.    It really is a lot less noticable. If you otherwise are in love with the dress, maybe the small amount of the time train is down won't bother you as much.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's definitely a good point, bustled it looks just fine. And you know, in some of the professional photos showing the full back of the skirt, it doesn't even bug me so bad :) I'll have to go back and see it in person again to decide.

Thanks for all the help working through this :)
  • If you are wearing a long veil that would also cover the seem up some before you bustle it.
  • I just got the same dress too! It looks gorgeous on you. I didn't even notice the seam down the middle. I will have to look more closely when I get home tonight!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ctrenholm  Yeah, my mom said she never even noticed the "seam" thing when I tried it on, so it's probably not a thing most of my guests will notice :)

Just to follow up for anyone else that comes along this post with the same concern:  I went back and tried the dress with a sash and it totally minimizes my concerns with the look of the train! (I'll post a pic later!)  The sash I liked was ivory and had broader tails and some beading in the front - http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Sash-with-Beaded-Embellishment-S3029_Accessories-Sashes-and-Coverage-Options-Sashes
  • Thanks for the update!  After you mentioned the sash idea, I started thinking about it, too.  I wanted to add maybe a little color to it, thinking maybe a purple one would work.  Great idea!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards