Wedding Etiquette Forum

Poll - Bridesmaid Cost

Hi - I rarely post here, but work is slow and so is the board.

I'm curious to see how everyone answers.

Re: Poll - Bridesmaid Cost

• I voted for $500-$1000, but if it's a local wedding it would be less.
  • Me personally, I wouldn't lump travel costs into being a BM, because if I'm close enough to the bride to be a BM, I would have been paying to travel to her wedding anyways.  So hotel and flight is beside the point, you know?  I would have spent that regardless.

That being said, I wouldn't pay more than 500 all together.  And thats pushing it.  200 for a dress, max.   A 100 for parties and maybe another 100 for incidentals (shoes, whatever.)  

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Ditto PP. It depends on alot of factors- is it local? am I hosting the shower? etc.
    ?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I live across the country from the majority of my friends, so my answer is automatically higher due to travel expenses.  It sucks but there's not much I can do about it.  I did 500-1000 for that reason.  Ditto ac that if it were in town, definitely lower.
  • Yeah, I voted for 500-1000 too. I'm in a wedding in a few months that is going to be over 1500 for me to be in and I'm not even MOH. Half of that expense is a bachelorette party to Vegas though. 
  • drbweddingdrbwedding member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-bridesmaid-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a97b3c1-c04d-4827-8960-67e6b323d0bfPost:0ff2013c-9eab-403e-9905-7452dc713aa7">Re: Poll - Bridesmaid Cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]Me personally, I wouldn't lump travel costs into being a BM, because if I'm close enough to the bride to be a BM, I would have been paying to travel to her wedding anyways.  So hotel and flight is beside the point, you know?  I would have spent that regardless. That being said, I wouldn't pay more than 500 all together.  And thats pushing it.  200 for a dress, max.   A 100 for parties and maybe another 100 for incidentals (shoes, whatever.)  
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

<div>I see your point about travel. However, if I wasn't close enough to be in the wedding party the chances that I travel for engagement parties, showers and bachelorette parties decrease significantly since DH and I are trying to save as much money as possible. That's why I included it. Also, we usually drive or fly in for the wedding the morning of and leave the next day so there are added hotel days in there for being a bm.</div>
  • I wouldn't travel just for parties if I was an out of town BM.   I'm a BM in a wedding next year in Texas and I have no intention of flying in just for the shower or the bachelorette party.   Thats crazy.  Do people actually do that?  I included money for parties because I would of course send presents and pitch in a bit for the party itself since I am a BM, but pay for airfare just for a party?  

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Every wedding I've been a part of has been less than $500

I could see how if could get to be more though if the BM is from OOT
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, I don't count the travel expense either.  I've typically found that it's cheaper to fly in on Wednesday or Thursday and pay the hotel room than it is to fly in on Friday or Saturday for most of the weddings we've been to in the last couple of years, so I'm usually in town either way.  And, I don't have friends who want crazy over-the-top Bachelorette parties, so those usually end up being pretty manageable.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I have two OOT BMs but the other girls are spending around 300 dollars including dress, shoes, and other incidentals

my OOT girls are spending around 600-700 just because of flying in from across the country but like someone said before they would have flown in anyways and I am paying for their lodging up until the night of the wedding then the rest is on them
  • I had the pick the 1000-1500 because, while agree with what others are saying about hotel costs and travel, I know as a wedding party member I will be staying at least two nights some where as opposed to one. Also, I think 400 is close to the cost of many bm dresses, alterations, dress for the rehearsal dinner, shoes and accessories alone. Often time you buy a specific dress to wear to the RD depending on the location of the wedding (beach, tropical, winter etc) that you would not normally have hanging in your closet. Weddings certainly are expensive even to just be in, but I never mind shelling out the cash for some one I am that close too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards