Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

I look like an oompa loompa :(

I just had my first ever airbrush tan as a trial run for e-pics. I went to a very reputable spa at a dermatology clinic, so I do not feel that there is any fault on the part of the technician. She was very knowledgeable and sprayed me very lightly because she noticed how pale I was, and it looked good when I left. When I woke up this morning however, I looked very orange and unatural. After I took a shower, some areas seemed to fade a bit more than others, so now, I look orange AND uneven(not to mention I smell weird). I have tried several gradual tanners and they all seem to have the same effect on me. I have no interest to ever do this again.. so do I just settle for being super pale or is there any other method? I have used bronzing powder\makeup on myself before and it looked good. However, it did rub off on my clothes and I don't want that to happen to my dress!

Re: I look like an oompa loompa :(

• Sorry you had a bad expierence. I havent tried air brush tanning at all. What about a tinted moisturizer? I know it won't get you tan per say, but you will getna tinted glow. I used to use Jergens brand.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Did your. Makeup artist suggest spray tanning?? My MUA lists in her contract not to spray tan because certain makeups she uses pulls off the tint . The Jtoly is totally right. Jergans at least smells nice and gradually tans you . It's probably cheaper than a professional.
  • aww what an annoying situation. Don't worry, I am extremely fair-skinned as well. If you are pale on your wedding day you will still be very beautiful and you won't have to look back at your pictures and think "wow that doesn't look like me." Your make-up will certainly add definition so you won't have to worry about looking washed out or anything - just embrace your natural tone : )
  • No, my makeup artist didn't suggest it. I just wanted to try it on my own because I've tried so many other things already. I may see if I can find some tinted lotion. Thanks for the help!
  • No, my makeup artist didn't suggest it. I just wanted to try it on my own because I've tried so many other things already. I may see if I can find some tinted lotion. Thanks for the help!
  • I'm super pale (and anemic so I can get pretty washed out sometimes if my iron is low). I've done a spray tanning before but for my wedding, I think I'm going to embrace my pale-ness. I bought my dress without a tan and it looked pretty so I don't want to mess with it. Your FI loves you for who you are! Embrace the paleness. Besides, it can look really pretty in pictures!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    This is why it is always good to do a trial.  I like the Jergens as well (although I still think it stinks) but it takes me about a week to build up any kind of glow.  It's definitely worth a try.

I wonder if the technician gave you a bronzer on top of the tanner?  So what you are seeing is the bronzer washing off.   I always get a spray tan with no bronzer. So I am not tan when I leave the salon, it is 4-6 hours later when my self tanner begins to work. Most girls want to be tan right away so that is why they spray you with bronzer (and also it makes it easier to fix any streaks),.

So, what I'm saying is, it is possible once the bronzer washes off, you will be tan underneath.  Probably not, but it is possible.
  • Honestly I say just embrace the pale.  I can totally understand the appeal of a natural glow, but lots of girls go too far and end up looking too dark or orange next to the natural complexion of their H.  My fi is already pale so I definitely don't want to look unnatural next to him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Did you exfoliate when you showered? Use a loofah or a washcloth? After you get spray tans, you should just work a lather in your hands rather than use any exfoliating. That's what causes the unevenness. 

I'm really pale and have never had a bad experience with spray tans. I'd suggest getting a regular self tanning lotion/gel (not a gradual one) but mixing it with equal parts moisturizer. I think this gives you more control of the color than gradual tanners do. 

Good luck!
  • oh my!  I'm sorry.  I had my very first airbrush tan yesterday as well and I didn't have the same results.  I've learned that certain formulas aren't right for all skins. I'm also very pale but mine is a weird pale because I have olive undertones and freckles (gotta love that Irish skin) so when I don't have color I literally look sickly green. 

I was terrified that I would turn orange because I've used those Jergens formulas and stuff and I always end up orange when I use them but I thought I'd give this a shot just to see.  Mine turned out well, I'm very pleased.  I'm not orange at all and things were very even.  I had one problem area (my right pointer finger) but I was able to scrub it a little more in the shower and it evened out.  I think my salon used the brand "Fake Bake"

Did you talk to the technician who did yours?  Maybe they could suggest a different formula or at least give you a refund.  My salon said that if I turned orange they would give me a refund because she said she had never had anyone turn orange.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_i-look-like-an-oompa-loompa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:d511f31c-eabc-4f6b-bfe8-671a4cd93c81Post:c8d24984-5c52-43d3-8912-07dfcd865ae1">Re: I look like an oompa loompa :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry you had a bad expierence. I havent tried air brush tanning at all. What about a tinted moisturizer? I know it won't get you tan per say, but you will getna tinted glow. I used to use Jergens brand.
    Posted by jtoly[/QUOTE]

Ditto

• Have you tried taking just a rinse shower? I got a spray tan for the first time for our e-pics and I looked horrendous. It wasn't a very good color and streaked like a zebra! I went back the salon and they suggested a rinse shower. I just tooke a cool shower and rubbed my skin with my hand. The excess washed off and I was left with a decent fake tan that was even.
  • Embrace the pale.  Or, do what I've been doing to take the edge off the pale.  I mix a dab of Jergens express tan with my regular lotion, and do this every other day.  It's added a very gradual glow and taken the edge off the paleness, which is nice when your skin is see-through and shows your veins.  :)

It's ok to be pale.  Seriously.  It takes getting used to when society shoves the "tan is beautiful" message down our throats, but pale can be beautiful too.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I exfoliated beforehand. It looks ok now since it has faded, but it is still uneven. I haven't talked to the salon because I really don't think I want to do it again. I think I will try mixing some jergens with my regular lotion and if that doesn't work out I am just going to accept my paleness! Lol thanks for the help/advice!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_i-look-like-an-oompa-loompa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:d511f31c-eabc-4f6b-bfe8-671a4cd93c81Post:146b4be2-2e31-4b96-8c21-84965765533b">Re: I look like an oompa loompa :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I exfoliated beforehand. It looks ok now since it has faded, but it is still uneven. I haven't talked to the salon because I really don't think I want to do it again. I think I will try mixing some jergens with my regular lotion and if that doesn't work out I am just going to accept my paleness! Lol thanks for the help/advice!
    Posted by emilyerdh[/QUOTE]
    If you do go the Jergens route, then make sure to buy the brand & not a store brand. I did that & it built up for 2 weeks & then washed right off in the shower. I must have changed body washes or done something differently, because all of a sudden, everything was gone. I was NOT happy. I was trying so hard to build it for e-pics. I'm going to start trying again for the wedding now.
  • I did a spray tan years ago and it looked good for the first day or two, but then the inside of my elbows and back of the knees started to rub off. So as it wore off I looked a little funny. I haven't done it again and probably won't.

I agree with PP, call the tech and see what she suggests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards