Second Weddings

Post Thanksgiving Crazy Shopping anyone?

Do you partake of this retail festival of gluttony?  Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday? 

Did you get any amazing bargains on something you would have bought if it were not on sale? 

I like to work on Black Friday, it's quiet, there are no meetings and I can get a lot of stuff done.  I do a little online shopping over lunch, spent about $75, for gifts for DS.  He got a "big" birthday gift this summer, ostensibly for both birthday & Christmas.  Obviously he'll still get little items for Christmas, so that's what this represents.  He has gotten into playing the guitar, so I got a stand up guitar stand for $5, and a soft guitar case for $10.  Oh, and a book for me that I had in my Amazon cart that wasn't on sale.  Laughing  ~Donna

Re: Post Thanksgiving Crazy Shopping anyone?

• We were talking about all of this at Kevin's family's get together Thursday. One of his nieces was scouring the newspaper ads and writing down the times and items on sale during various "only on sale for 3 hrs" particulars. Much of his family lives in Wisconsin and when here for Tgiving they plan to shop at major malls on Black Friday.

The older adults (us) were talking about how none of us remember this insanity from our youths. Must be because we had so little money, or "things" didn't mean as much. Plus, there was no internet making this so easy.

I don't go out to stores AT ALL on Black Friday. My daughter now works in retail in a women's clothing store at a large mall, and she sold $2200 worth of items yesterday. No commission, LOL.

I was pretty much done with shopping before Thursday. I have 3 main retail credit cards (Macy's, Lord & Taylor and Penney's) and get tons of emails and snail mail discount coupons, plus what is in the papers. Kevin looked over my shoulder when I found some items on deep discount I wanted for my kitchen (better professional knives and a large cast iron dutch oven), and he agreed to give those to me for Xmas. I asked him what he wanted and he said a jacket, so we searched together for what he wanted and I bought it for him, LOL. No "grand romance" shopping for us, with surprises. He'd rather undergo a surgical procedure with a 3 day hospital stay than shop.

The dutch oven and knives from Kohl's were 50% off, plus I had an additional 15% off coupon code.........and by spending a certain amount, I received a $50 credit I had to use before Wednesday, so I bought his 2 granddaughters who live near us toys for Xmas, which were also 50% off. Everything I've ordered had free shipping. 

I also "over-shop" for our family, and when my 81 y/o Mom was here on Tgiving I gave her one item each for my kids, Kevin, and my son's galpal, so she could have something to give them and not have to endure the insanity during the 4 weeks between Tgiving & Xmas. The kids only want money for Xmas, but we firmly believe in having one item that was lovingly wrapped to open when we sit down.  

I'm probably a Scrooge, but I really don't like driving around to find parking spaces, waiting in endless lines to pay for things, then carrying them around the mall or out to the car, while dealing with a coat and purse. I'd rather say "Thanks, have a good day" to the UPS or Fedex driver who now knows me, probably by name Smile 

• Black Friday?  What's that?  Buahahahaha ...

Step-son (age 30) and his girlfriend (age 22) were visiting from a small (large) town in Vermont. She declared, at Tuesday's dinner, that she'd saved up her money so she could go shopping.  Apparently, there are no Targets, Nike stores or H&Ms in their neck of the woods.  They spent all of their cash on Wed (in da 'burbs) and Fri (in Georgetown).  They were happy as clams as they left with empty pockets for the airport this morning. 

I did not shop yesterday or today.  Well, that's not quite true. I had to replace my dead cell phone (dumb phone, so not an exciting moment) and spent a boat load of $$ on a new pair of reading glasses (eye exam) yesterday.  Clearly, neither purchase was a classic  "Black Friday" moment.  Hee hee.
  • No Black Friday herei n the UK, but the stores sure were CRAZY today.

Even when we lived in the States, we never do Black Friday shopping.  I used to think maybe it would be kind of fun, and then people starting getting killed.  No deal is worth my personal safety.   

Having said that, I am WAY behind on my holiday shopping, and really need to figure something out pretty soon.  I'm sure most of it will be internet shopping...
    DSC_9275
  • No, there's nothing I want that much that I would endure what Retread described.

However, my brother and I did spend a lot of time online on T-giving trying to find a Thomas Kinkade print for my mother.
  • Nope, however, I did order some presents on Friday via the internet.  During a camping trip in July in which it rained for 10 days straight, the hand me down tent I gave my daughter finally decided to retire.   So, I got her a new one.  It was about 1/3 the original price, as it was the last one in stock and is being discontinued.   (For those of you who camp, it was a Coleman.  During a trip about 5-6 years ago, DH and I discovered that only Coleman tents withstand days of raining. The Northface tents seem to be the worst; all 12 or so families in Northface tents complained of rain streaming into their tents.) 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Oh, and thanks, Retread, for the wishes.    DH and I were handfasted on December 21st, so our sixth anniversary is coming up! 

Blessed Be,
    Handfast4me
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Oh nooooooo no shopping in stores this weekend at all.  I don't do crowds well, so shopping late in the holiday season is done on-line for me.  When I shop early I'm usually done before the bird goes in the oven for the big Thanksgiving dinner. 

We did end up adopting another kitty this weekend the SPCA in our area had a great adoption "sale" and our newest member is still handily upsetting the other kitties (in otherwords he's blending in just fine).  I am attempting to get some Cyber Monday shopping done - the Hubby is the hardest to buy for.  Other than that we were away from Malls, stores and the like over the weekend. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards