Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Money Dance -West Coast

So it seems like the money dance is kind of a coastal thing- fairly common on the east coast and not as common here towards the west (Northern Nevada).  None of my family is used to the idea of a money dance but my fiance's family is.  He wants to do one, I'm not so sure.  I've never really seen one go well and, though we could really use the money (we are paying for the wedding ourselves) I don't know how I feel about asking guests to pay to dance with us.  I'm trying to keep an open mind but I don't want to end up alienating one of our families because of a dance.

What are your opinions on the money dance (on the west coast) and what other (possibly less offensive) options might there be for asking for money?  Money tree?  Wishing well?  Registries/word of mouth?

Thanks!

Re: Money Dance -West Coast

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_money-dance-west-coast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:b5fa4ddd-582a-49bc-945c-574703926df9Post:08f78e0a-2bae-4dad-bc94-025db4f51aa4">Money Dance -West Coast</a>:
    [QUOTE]So it seems like the money dance is kind of a coastal thing- fairly common on the east coast and not as common here towards the west (Northern Nevada).  None of my family is used to the idea of a money dance but my fiance's family is.  He wants to do one, I'm not so sure.  I've never really seen one go well and, though we could really use the money (we are paying for the wedding ourselves) I don't know how I feel about asking guests to pay to dance with us.  I'm trying to keep an open mind but I don't want to end up alienating one of our families because of a dance. What are your opinions on the money dance (on the west coast) and what other (possibly less offensive) options might there be for asking for money?  Money tree?  Wishing well?  Registries/word of mouth? Thanks!
    Posted by JGualco[/QUOTE]

Since it's your your family who will be weirded by it and you're the one people will be dancing with, then I think you should tell your fiance, thanks, but no thanks.
    His family will get over it and with everything going on, they might not even notice it didn't happen. But your family will definitely notice it and not know what the heck is going on.

And there is no non-offensive way to ask for money. Your wedding shouldn't be a charity event for yourselves. Use the money people give you in gifts wisely and you should be fine. :)
  • snowflake350snowflake350 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Nothern Nevada (live in Washington now, but wedding will be in NN) and the money dance is very common in my family and social circle. I always enjoy the money dance at weddings and will be having one at my wedding. All the money dances I've seen went very well and the guests really enjoyed it.
    Little one is here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards