Just Engaged and Proposals

Newly engaged farm girl!

Hi all, I'm a farm girl from Wisconsin. My boyfriend (oops, fiance) and I got engaged this last Sunday the 22nd. He proposed in the barn after we finished milking cows which is perfect for us, with a ring that his sister helped him pick out which is perfect for me!

I was never one of those people that dreamed up their wedding day before the fact so now I'm really nervous about planning! We want something tasteful but inexpensive, as we're trying to save money to buy in to our own farm. I'm already planning on a used dress and I'm looking for some creative country and cheap decorations.

We're hoping for an August 2013 wedding... if we have time to get everything booked/planned. Is anyone else trying to get a wedding done in just over a year? 

Our famillies are very supportive and wondered what took us so long (even though we're just 23, haha). So at least we have that going for us!

Re: Newly engaged farm girl!

• Congrats girl! I'm in Wisconsin too! What part are you from?! My FI and I are doing a july 4th wedding so we are waiting till 2014. Enjoy the planning and figure out what kind of wedding you want!
  • I'm originally from the Madison area but I've moved to the Eau Claire area to be with my fiance and his family (we met in college). I'm happy with the move, but it makes planning a little harder since I'm not as familiar with the location.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_newly-engaged-farm-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:21d56d92-0eda-4b4e-96c1-268ded490e06Post:e9c8f966-ec3f-4138-83fd-b498c7bbf1a6">Re: Newly engaged farm girl!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm originally from the Madison area but I've moved to the Eau Claire area to be with my fiance and his family (we met in college). I'm happy with the move, but it makes planning a little harder since I'm not as familiar with the location.
    Posted by thatQHgirl[/QUOTE]

That is true. I'm from lacrosse area so we probably aren't that far away from each other!
  • MrsL2014MrsL2014 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_newly-engaged-farm-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:21d56d92-0eda-4b4e-96c1-268ded490e06Post:7062f734-4c36-4a63-8cdb-a3d92002cbae">Re: Newly engaged farm girl!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newly engaged farm girl! :

That is true. I'm from lacrosse area so we probably aren't that far away from each other!
    Posted by MrsL2014[/QUOTE]

I'm there is a lot of country land in between lacrosse and eau Claire so didn't know if you were closer!
  •  I'm not from Wisconsin, but I know how it feels to suddenly start thinking about a wedding! I never wanted to get married, but then the right man asked and I couldn't say no! I also know how it feels to give yourself LOTS of time to plan, my wedding is in 2013. 

The only good advice I can give you is the more research you put in, the less money you will spend! I planned out exactly what I wanted, but kept in mind that some things might need to be changed in order to be affordable. Also, I noticed when my Fiance and I were really announcing our engagement, a lot of people came to us asking if we needed help. So right now we have a free photographer, we have a baker making our cake for just the cost of ingredients, and we have a caterer that is doing on site BBQ for the cost of food and gas...

The decor is one of our main expenses, but I'm sticking to thrift stores for all that i have in mind!
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • Congrats to you! How wonderful! We haven't set a date yet, but we'll hopefully have about a year to plan - we'll see...
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
  • Congrats! We planned in 7 months..... you can do it!
  • Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone. :)
  • to keep our budget in check we decided on our three "must-have"s and spent more on those (ours were food, music, and photography). then you don't end up being disappointed because you spent a bigger chunk of your budget on something you care a lot less about (like decorations for us). we made sure the venue we booked provided amazing food and was gorgeous enough to just use the free centrepieces that they will set up for us. Smile and we're doing it in exactly one year (and I haven't felt terribly stressed out up till now) so you'll be just fine!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats...My Fiance (he asked this past friday July 27th) both worked on a dairy together for over a year and spent a lot of early mornings in the parlor and I wouldn't give up those memories for anything. We are having an outdoor wedding next summer (2013) we haven't set a date yet but will hopefully soon. We using  mason jars, burlap, and sunflowers that we will grow ourselves to save on flowers since I love them and want alot of them for our reception decor. You should def.check out Pinterest it has amazing ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards