Plus-Sized
Options

Scared to shop for a wedding dress

As many brides may feel, im terrified to go dress shopping, im very embarassed with my size.  I am a size 22, and after getting out of a horrible relationship(where i gained all my weight) I met my fiance.  Since he loves me for whatever size I am, I promised myself no matter what I will feel as pretty as I want to look on my wedding day.  Has anyone ever felt scared to even start looking? and if you are plus-sized, where should I go.(I live in michigan)

Re: Scared to shop for a wedding dress

• Options
    I was very scared! I live in Iowa but if you have a Davids bridal I would suggest it..as they have a lot of dresses to chose from in our sizes! I am a size. 24 and I was worried I would need an even bigger size dress due to sizing of dresses being different. I actually got a Sz.26 and it fits perfectly. No alterations other than my bustle. The lady I had here was very sweet and I felt unbelievably comfortable. I am worries about my flabby arms but I figure..what the hay! It's my day! And to be honest my dress makes me look almost half the size I really am, which I love! Dont fret...there are all sizes of brides and no one should be discriminating because of size. Good luck and I hope you find the dress of your dreams!
  • Options
    Wow, that is a relief to hear, ive been dieting alot and working out and so far since my proposal(Sept.20) Ive lost 22 lbs :)
    Ive been watching alot of SAY YES TO THE DRESS lol... and I see alot of the top heavy ladies on there, they cant even zip the back, and thats embarassing for me, if that would happen
  • Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I wouldn't worry about not being able to zip dresses up when you're trying them on.  Sample dresses don't come in every size so sometimes they just put you in what you're closest to.  I'm confident you'll find a dress you feel good in.  I strongly suggest lace up backs.  Along with cutting alterations costs they do wonders for the waist :) If you live near an Alfred Angelo Signature Store I would suggest you give them a try.  They have a variety of dresses in plus sizes. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would second the David's Bridal.  I would suggest too that you specifically ask the locations your looking to make an appointment at if they have a variety of plus size dresses to try on. You might find that some stores are better equiped than others for plus-size.

Don't worry about it and just try to enjoy yourself :). I was nervous before going to my first time to try dresses this past weekend but the consultant was awesome at picking dresses (and sizing me) and to be honest my weight was the farthest thing from my mind once I found a couple dresses I liked! (Despite having a skinny-mini trying dresses on next to me =P)
  • Options
    I would disregard the Davids Bridals recommendations because you are in the Detroit area and there is a FABULOUS store that caters to plus size women (sizes 14-36).

I highly highly recommend Bombshell Bridal in Saint Claire Shores. They were kind, informative and helped me pick the perfect dress. They are also very familiar with common issues plus size girls face. Seriously they were probably my favorite vendor.

• Options
    I just went dress shopping this past weekend (yes, in the middle of a hurricane!). I live in southeastern VA so I went to David's Bridal. I picked out several dresses (ahem... 16) online, all of which either were already plus-sized or could be ordered as plus-sized. When we got to the store, my constultant was also a plus-sized girl, so she and I bonded quickly. It actually turned out to be a lot of fun! I tried on probably 8-9 dresses and ended up buying on that day. I love it, I love the way I feel in it, and I can't wait to wear it. The dress doesn't make me feel like size 22, it makes me feel like a bride.
  • Options
    If you have an alfred angelo signature store in your area, try them. Also, look up the Mori Lee Julietta collection. There are some gorgeous plus size gowns. Then, use their store locator on the mori lee website and call them ahead of time. Ask them specifically if they carry the julietta line. And how many plus size samples they have in stock. I found if you do a little bit of preparation in advance by making the calls and asking specific questions, you'll have a better shopping experience.
  • Options
    To be perfectly honest, I walked into one davids bridal so far, and I was NOT impressed with the sales associate , so I pretty much walked out.  I will have to attempt going to another location, and I will def. use your suggestion and ask about sizing before hand! Thank you! 
  • Options
    Gorgeous wedding photos!:)
  • Options
    Thank you for your suggestion , I cant wait to check it out!
  • Options
    Awe, CONGRATS! im so happy you were able to find a perfect dress!
  • Options
    Def. will ask before checking out different places!
  • Options
    I didn't have much luck at DB either, but I know plenty of plus size girls do.   I felt rushed and like I was at a cattle call.  SO, many people and not enough sales consultants, and I thought the quality of the dresses weren't that great.  I did make the mistake of trying on some other designer dresses first (AA, Maggie Sottero and Mori Lee) first, and when I put on the DB dress, it just felt...  well, cheap.    I am sure if I had just gone directly to DB, I probably would have never known the difference.
  • Options
    don't be stress or embarass about your size, there are lots of brides out there are wear a bigger than you and they can find their wedding dress. just shop around first and find what styles suit you. if worse comes to worse and you can't anything that you like, you can ordered custom made, wither online or from local tailor shop. if you are considering order online, you can have a look at 7foxmall, recommended  by friends who have bought online before.good luck! 
  • Options
    ils2004ils2004 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Hmm.  This upcoming weekend is my first weekend looking at dresses and I'm scared too.  I'm a size 24/26 and very nervous.  I called DB today to see if they would have the two dresses I really like in my size and they don't.  In fact, they only have one of them and that dress is in Georgia :( 

So I'm a little discouraged, but one of the associates kinda pepped me up by explaining I could at least come in to see what they have and try those dresses on.  I have two other appts this weekend (one at a local shop and one at Alfred Angelo) so we'll see how they go.  

@cmgilpin. There's this one Mori Lee dress I like (3131) but apparently its one of the Spring 2013 collection and not in stores just yet. Dang!

@anikisher. Hopefully you'll have some better experiences.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
    *** September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration ***
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we actually ended up holding up my dress and it was VERY easy to tell how it would look. the sample sizes in most dresses i like are 6 or 10. if you are up for a drive, Minneapolis has 2 bridal shops that are just for plus sizes. they didnt carry the designers i wanted, but they have great dresses. i was SOOOOO nervos when i went to the bridal shop though. all the white is a bit overwhelming and not knowing how the dresses i did like would be held up. they had sizes i could wear, but not in the designers i wanted.  My consultant was SO nice though!!!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Don't focus on the designer, focus on the style and parts of the dress you're looking for.  If you've seen a picture of one you like, take it with you.  The shop may have one similar to it, and if not, may be able to help you isolate what parts of the dress you love and can find one that will work.

I also echo the corset back idea.  I had a full corset and skirt, and it does wonders for your shape!

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

• Options
    David's Bridal worked for me - but again, I've heard it doesn't work for everyone! However, if yo don't want to spend wayyyyy too much and don't mind new-used, go on craigslist! Many women sell their dresses and I found mine (which was a David's Bridal dress) and there are plenty of other "brands" out there in plus-sizes!! It's fun to go and try them on at other's houses - but bring someone with you. :) (I made a day of it! AND, the women selling the dresses generally are excited to get rid of the dress and it's already been dry cleaned, etc. It's fun to hear about their wedding stories! I just like meeting new people, so maybe that's weird. :))
  • Options
    I highly suggest Maggie Sottero dresses. That lady understands curves! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards