New York

FYI- Name Change

Things I have learned so far (remember this stuff if you are changing your name after you tie the knot)

1.  Go to the social security office- if it's not too far.  It's a creepy place full of total whackos.... but you can change your name there very fast.  I was in and out in about 20 minutes... it beats mailing in your original marriage certificate and waiting for it to come back. 

2.  The DMV on Taft Road is closed Fridays.  Seriously.  I discovered this after driving all the way out there on Friday and getting way too excited about an empty parking lot.  (Yes, I really thought for a second that I was the only person at the DMV and not going to wait in line.  genius)

3.  It is best if you change your driver's license and registration at the same time.  This saves a trip to the DMV (which is conveniently closed on Fridays... lol).  In order to change your name on your registration, you must first change your name on your insurance.. print new insurance cards and bring proof.  Otherwise the DMV (which is conveniently closed on Fridays) will tell you to go away and come back.

I am still learning... so I'm sure I will have more to add after my 3rd trip to the DMV this afternoon.  lol
Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
Online Garage Sale
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
monica & kevin married 5.28.11
bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: FYI- Name Change

• edited December 2011
    Thanks!  This info will be very handy soon :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for always being 1 step ahead of me Monica! No seriously...thanks :) Id be lost without you telling me what to do. Haha

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    No problem ladies!
    Online Garage Sale
  • raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks and good luck this afternoon Wink
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the FYI!!! Good to know

• CD2011CD2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh good, I almost bought some stupid thing online to do this. I better print this so I remember!!!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    **CD2011-  it's frustrating, but not worth paying for a kit since you still have to do a lot of  stuff yourself anyway (unless you want to mail everything in and wait for weeks).... but for stuff like the DMV, you have to go in and have a new picture taken, etc... There is no easy way out of that one.  Undecided  I think everything else (cards, bills) should be pretty easy.  It's the government stuff that is a pain.

Everyone-  update...
    A.  Apparently, you need the title to your vehicle (not the registration) to change/update your registration. 

B.  I must now revisit the DMV a 4th time (with the titles to both vehicles... since I'm the genius that put them both in my name... as opposed to the boy's name that does not change.  pure genius).  FML.

C.  Only filthy people and screaming babies hang out at the DMV.  ick.  Note to self, mini-flask of wine and large bottle of aspirin for next visit.
    Online Garage Sale
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards