Wedding Party

How to coordinate a bridal shower?

I wasn't quite sure where to post this. My best friend is getting married in August, she lives in North Carolina. I live in Hawaii. Her sister/MOH (and all of her family and a lot of friends) live in Maine. The other bridesmaid (groom's sister) is a college student in VA and in all likelihood would not plan a shower. 
I feel useless being so far away and wish I could do more to help her out with all her planning. Do you think she'll feel really bummed if there is no bridal shower? Logistically, I just don't see it happening. Not unless her fiance's mom plans something..and I don't know how to inquire about that without sounding like "Well aren't YOU going to throw her a shower?!". There's no way her family and friends from up north would make it down for a shower and then a wedding. So, does that mean no bridal shower at all? Or should I coordinate with some of our mutual friends in NC to have a little shower with her friends there? And invite friends and family from Maine knowing they likely can't make it? I have no clue. As a bridesmaid, I just feel like I should do SOMETHING! 
If I do try to coordinate something, do I split the costs with the 2 other bridesmaids? They are both college students and I know money is tight for them. We (DH and I) are spending over $2500 to attend the wedding (and I am not saying that as a resentful complaint by any means), so I can't afford too much more for her big day, but like I said..I feel useless all the way out here.
Also, dumb question, but are showers traditionally a surprise? Or is it ok to get the bride involved and sort of plan it together, but the bridal party front the costs?
PersonalMilestone Anniversary

Re: How to coordinate a bridal shower?

• Call the bridesmaids and the mom and say, "I was thinking we could try to organize a shower or something for Bride. But I don't know how to go about it exactly. Would you want to do anything, and do you have any ideas?" Take it from there. If you can't do anything then don't worry about it ... if the bride is a decent person then she will understand. As for sharing the costs ... talk to everyone and if they want to help, let them tell you how much if anything they want to contribute. Nobody is required to help pay for a shower.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-to-coordinate-a-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:4925519a-050f-45b6-927b-a31650482adbPost:6f16e650-c06c-403e-be96-f502a7744f0c">Re:How to coordinate a bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Call the bridesmaids and the mom and say, "I was thinking we could try to organize a shower or something for Bride. But I don't know how to go about it exactly. Would you want to do anything, and do you have any ideas?" Take it from there. If you can't do anything then don't worry about it ... if the bride is a decent person then she will understand. As for sharing the costs ... talk to everyone and if they want to help, let them tell you how much if anything they want to contribute. Nobody is required to help pay for a shower.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I guess I'll start there, talking to the 2 other bridesmaids. I definitely don't want them to feel obligated to pay anything, I just wasn't sure if I should be planning something. I just don't want her to think we don't care, the distance just makes things complicated. She is a decent person and I know she wouldn't be upset, at least she wouldn't show it. I've never done the bridesmaid thing before and just wasn't sure what my duties are.</div><div>
    </div>
  • You don't have official duties. You just do what you want to/can do. Don't go into debt or majorly inconvenience yourself.
  • Hi, don't know if this would work for you.
    I am the bride but my BM called and asked for addresses so I know what they are planing. Everyone lives far apart for my wedding too, South Carolina, Alabama, Utah and Arizona, so they are planing my shower for three days before my wedding, it is the only time my Fi's sister and my sisters will all be in the same place at the same time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just a question but you keep not mentioning her mom. There may be a reason but I think these days it's the mom who mostly plans the shower.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_how-to-coordinate-a-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:4925519a-050f-45b6-927b-a31650482adbPost:735d0818-c6d8-4cf1-8f82-ad6671767425">Re: How to coordinate a bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just a question but you keep not mentioning her mom. There may be a reason but I think these days it's the mom who mostly plans the shower.
    Posted by spiment[/QUOTE]

Actually, its poor etiquette for a MOB to plan the shower.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I thought it wasn't considered poor etiquette for the MOB to plan the shower anymore?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pretty much anyone, except the bride, can host the shower. Since most brides aren't going directly from their parents' household to their FI/H's households anymore its okay for the MOB to host. The MOG can also host. You can ask the bride what she likes or would want for out at her shower then accommodate as your budget allows. You just don't want to cross into that area where it looks like she's planning it. Or, if you have ideas you think she'd like, just ask her for a guest list. You definitely want to make sure anyone you invite to the shower will be getting a wedding invitation.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I swear I put paragraphs in there. TK mobile sucks at formatting.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Etiquette shmetiquette.

All I know is I've been to 10 weddings in the past two years and for EVERY one, the Mother of the Bride has hosted. 
  • As long as the bride's not planning/hosting her own shower, I personally don't care who throws it. (Except for her fiance(e), since (s)he is getting the gifts as well.)
  • Thanks for the replies, I forgot to check in here after I posted! I am usually over on TN. 

The bride's mom lives in Maine as well, and I honestly have no idea if she is planning some type of shower. My guess is no, but I could be wrong. I know that the bride will not visit Maine before her wedding, and none of her family will visit NC prior to the wedding. 

I am just going to send a message to the MOB, MOH (her sister), and the other bridesmaid (groom's sister) and see if anyone has any ideas. I just don't want it to all fall on my shoulders somehow because I'm the one initiating the whole convo about it. I don't have the money for it because of the other wedding expenses but I also don't want the college-aged bridesmaids to feel like they need to fork over a bunch of cash (not that it has to be something extravagant at all, but food/drink for all those people and finding a location to rent out since nobody is local to the bride will cost $$$), but like I said, will she feel like crap if no one throws her a shower??? I don't want that. Ugh. I wouldn't even be able to attend a shower prior to the wedding, I am flying in the day before, so it just makes planning this all seem crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards