New York-Western

Ceremony help!

My fiance and I are not very religious, but were raised Catholic. We have the option of marrying in a Catholic church, but at this point, it is my last resort. Any alternative options in Rochester that aren't outrageously priced? We are looking for a spot inside and seperate from our reception location.

Worst comes to worst, we get married in the church. Does anyone know anything about adding some non-traditional elements to a Catholic ceremony? We won't do a full mass, but are the "rules" so rigid that we won't be able to have a unique processional song, per se?

Re: Ceremony help!

• spenet1spenet1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not religious, but I wanted to get married in a church-like setting for aesthetic reasons. We looked at Chapel Hill, Westminster Chapel, and decided on Linehan Chapel (Catholic weddings are NOT allowed there). All the others allowed all religious or secular ceremonies.

And as far as "modifying" a Catholic ceremony, are you talking about using a Catholic priest but not conducting a full mass? Because I really don't know if that's allowed. I think if you choose to have a more modern or non-traditional ceremony, you would be better off going with a non-denominational minister or JP. HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure about your budget or size but the Eastman House is beautiful!  My fiance is not religious, so we needed to find something non-denominational as well.  We are doing the ceremony at artisan works, which is beautiful and not incredibly expensive.  We also looked at the memorial art gallery (not sure about prices for just the ceremony) and the rochester museum and science center- you can do the ceremony in the planetarium.  There are lots of neat out-of the box ideas in Rochester!
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am not Catholic either so i am not sure, but you don't need to have full mass at your wedding. I have been to weddings inside Catholic Churches that don't have mass. As far as adding non-traditional elements to the service that would be up to the perist that is marrying you.

If you really don't want to get married at a church I would look at local parks or even town buildings. I am not from Rochester so I don't have names of where. But in my home town in Buffalo I could come up with several places to get married.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards