Texas-Austin

Who to tip?

Is there standard etiquette that rules which vendors and how much you tip for your wedding services?  Which vendors do you plan on tipping or think expect a tip?

Obviously I'm not planning on tipping the caterer because they add gratuity to the bill already, but I am at a loss on the rest of our vendors.

Re: Who to tip?

• sksjaesksjae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if there is a standard etiquette, but tips are for jobs well done. We have set aside 10% of the total contract price for the DJ, photographer, hair/makeup and DOC. Haven't decided on the baker and the florist is included in our venue.  And like you, the caterer is adding gratuity.

Your big day is getting so close!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Everyone.. including me. hahaha.. just kidding. Might try the ettiqutte boards on here. They tend to have all the right answers to questions like this.
  • edited December 2011
    Gratuity with weddings works the same as gratuity in all other industries.  It is reserved for the vendors you feel went above and beyond their contracted duties. 

Some individuals get a regular percentage, like hairdresses, make-up artists, drivers, bartenders (percentage of liquor bill, typically), wedding planner.

Others can get a flat tip, like $20 - $100 dollars, based on total cost, for musicians, DJ, florist (perhaps a little tip for set-up?), baker (lower end tip), caterer ($50).

Most people say to never tip your Officiant.

Hope this helps.

I researched this extensively for my wedding.  So many factors!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards