Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Help! Cruise or El Dorado Royale??

I am having a really hard time choosing our honeymoon... and our wedding is in less than 2 months! (January 19) I would love opinions, especially if anyone has done either... I tried to hand this decision over to my fiance and he has handed it right back go me.

We've narrowed it down to a Carnival Cruise on a new ship (Magic). It's 7 days and would go to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. This option would cost us I believe at least $500 less. (We live 45 minutes from the departure port)

The other option is the El Dorado Royale all inclusive resort in Mexico. I know people who have been here and loved it. It would cost us at least $500 more plus if we end up doing any extra tours off site even more. (Anyone have any experience with that?)

Concerns with Cruise:
Not as much privacy, not as relaxing, my hubby hating it althought he claims he can have a good time anywhere I know he's a little hestant about the cruise

Concerns with Resort:
It's going to be January so high 70's to low 80's, will I really feel like just laying on a beach all day every day? Higher cost. Maybe it would be better to do a resort trip some upcoming summer.

Postives with Cruise: 
Longer vacation (7 days vs 5 days at resort) lot's to do, the excursions look really fun (I have included a budget for these in my cost analysis), I don't have to plan anything else!

Positives for Resort:
Looks more romantic & relaxing. Drinks included so I'm not guessing about that cost. 

I keep going back and forth! I cannot decide and I need to ASAP. 

Any opinions are appreciated!! TIA!!

Re: Help! Cruise or El Dorado Royale??

• Options
    If there is any question at all tha your DH s going to not like the cruise, then don't do it. A HM is something you should both agree on and both enjoy. I'm sure he is saying he'll be okay to placate you, which is thoughtful, but you should not start your mrriag off on the wrong foot.

• Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited November 2012
    it's low to high 80s in mexico then. you'll get the same weather on the cruise as you do in RM.  at night its in the 70s or low 80s. cozumel is off of the RM so same exact weather.

also the day trips for the cruise and the resort will probably even out to be about the same if you compare the same ones-give or take-but either way they'll be an extra expense.

as for privacy-you are not around people all the time on the cruise and dont have to do anything with anyone else if you dont want to. on the cruise and resort the pools will have other people, the restaurants will have other people etc.. so it's really just your rooms on each that will be private.

• Options
    I would book asap if you're doing the resort, because January-February is their most busy time of year in Mexico.
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    We just did a similar cruise for our HM a few weeks ago.  We were on the Carnival Legend and we stopped in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman.  We had a fantastic time, but Belize and Roatan were our least favorite stops.  The Belize stop was in Belize City and there was absolutely nothing to do at the port besides drink/eat or shop.  You would have to book an excursion if you actually want to explore.  Roatan wasn't what I expected.  We booked an excursion to Gumbalimba Park, which was okay (It poured while we were there, so that put a damper on things.  But regardless, it was not what I expected).  We also stopped at Tabyana Beach, which looked beautiful in photos, but I wasn't impressed.  The beach wasn't very nice and there were police patrolling along the borders - we left as soon as we could get a bus back to the port.  Cozumel was AMAZING.  I would LOVE to go back again and stay for an entire week.  Just my 2 cents.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your input, it really was helpful!

We have FINALLY booked our honeymoon, I am so relieved and excited. We're going to the El Dorado Royale for 6 nights. Ended up getting a better rate than expected booking flights + hotel on Expedia, so we added an extra night!

I decided the cruise would be better suited for my 30th birthday celebration in a year and half. :) Or maybe our first anniversary, we'll see!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    I think you are going to love El Dorado and have a fabulous HM! Congrats :)

• Options
    Just a side note, resorts don't have to be boring. We are not 'lay on the beach and relax' type people and we had a great time when we went to our All Inclusive/Resort. There is so much to do all the time, at the resort and off the resort. You aren't limited to what is available at the resort either so that was really nice. Our resort, and I know others, usually have events and things going on all day. So if you want to just sit back and relax you can do that, but if you want to be active and having fun that is available as well. Plus you aren't on the schedule of the cruise.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards