South Asian Weddings

Mother of the Bride attire South Asia Wedding

Help! I'm a non Indian Mother of  the Bride at a Mumbai wedding. I'm not quite sure what would be appropriate for me to wear at a traditional Hindu ceremony and to the various other wedding event... sangeet etc. Any suggestions?

Re: Mother of the Bride attire South Asia Wedding

• edited December 2011

Choose a saree, its very elegant and beautful..you cant go wrong with it, but make sure you have someone to put in on you since its not easy...I still dont know how to put it on..lol

• Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_mother-of-bride-attire-south-asia-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:fcc64a99-99c0-44ab-af08-e56033978ea1Post:11aa395e-68c7-46d8-b236-e625e939d009">Re: Mother of the Bride attire South Asia Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Choose a saree, its very elegant and beautful..you cant go wrong with it,
    Posted by jnsaini[/QUOTE]

Agreed....and if the wedding is in Mumbai...then I'm sure someone can be hired to put the sari on you. (The cost for this will be minimal and can be done at any salon/beauty parlour)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto everyone here.  Sari is the way to go.
  • edited December 2011
    For the ceremony, I agree that a traditional sari is the way to go. For the other events, you can get a salwar kameez or chudidar, etc. or even a simpler sari.  Will you have time to go shopping before the wedding festivities in Mumbai? You can shop and pick all your outfits up there!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd suggest a sari that already has pleats in it - that way, it's MUCH easier to put on and a lot of them are gorgeous - I have one of them myself and I love how easy it is.

I'm with you - I can't put one on yet either! I'm learning. My Mom taught me how on Mothers Day...it was a royal mess. It was a good memory, though :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    By the way, congrats to you!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info...  unfortunately,  I won't have time to shop in Mumbai before the wedding. I've been looking online. So many things seem to need to be custom made. How do you ever know how things will look and if they will fit. I'm used to trying things on before buying!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there anyone in India you can trust to shop for you?  As long as you can provide accurate measurement, I think you will be okay. There are a couple of online sites that have many sarees to choose from, if not do you have Indian clothing stores around your area that you can go to? 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try:

Seasons India
    Utsav Sarees

Those two websites are reliable, to my knowledge. Also, try Charmi Creations. They will show you what things like.

BUT I suggest you ask someone in the brides family to buy you an outfit in a color you like.

Also, where are you located? Depending on what state you live, I'd google Indian clothing stores. You may find someone there who sells something you like or, someone who can show you how to put them on or what options work best for you. I'd try that, as well!
  • edited December 2011
    I live on Long Island but have told there is great shopping in New Jersey. Can you suggest any particular stores?
    Also I'm not comfortable with the bare middriff . Can the blouses be made longer?
    Thanks for any info!
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_mother-of-bride-attire-south-asia-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:fcc64a99-99c0-44ab-af08-e56033978ea1Post:d552caa0-f33d-4d9d-8e4b-bce5ee133cc0">Re: Mother of the Bride attire South Asia Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also I'm not comfortable with the bare middriff .Posted by harvold[/QUOTE]

Try and get a sari that is not see-through fabric...like georgette would not be an option for you.  Silk saris are popular for that reason...you can't see through them AT ALL!
    The sari can be tied around you to cover your midrift and your lower back...and safety pins can be used to keep all fabric in place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards