Students

Incorrect Grad Date :'(

So sorry eveyong but I need a place to vent.

When I started school I was told that my estimated graduation date was Feb. of 2013. I have remained on track for that date and was getting super excited. I also planned my wedding date around that date. We were supposed to get married on September 21, 2013. It would give me a few months to pull everything together, get a job, and be ready for the wedding.

Key phrase from the paragraph above; "supposed to be".

So tonight at work I was going through my course outline and schedule with a coworker who is also studying to be a nurse and she points out that the last scheduled semester is FALL 2013. I figured it had to be a mistake. So I continued to look through my materials all the while completely freaking out and lo and behold I was told the wrong graduation date. I will still be in classes on September 21, 2013. Cry

And now I don't know what to do. I want to marry my FI. It was going to be hard enough waiting until then. But my parents wont give their blessing unless the wedding is after I get out of school. And I really need their blessing. Whatever I do I will be upsetting someone, and most of all it is all upsetting me because I was SO excited about that date. 

I have thought about a spring wedding...but weddings in Ohio in the spring tend to be gross because its muddy and rainy and just disgusting. But waiting until fall means ANOTHER year. And my FI was already not thrilled about waiting more than a year. Ugh. I just done know what to do.

Cry 
-A very very upset bride to be....

Re: Incorrect Grad Date :'(

• Yuck, that's the problem with estimates, they're so often wrong! 

What does your parents blessing entail? Just their being excited for the wedding, paying for it, or is it a spiritual blessing? I'm confused on what that means.  Remember that you aren't confined to spring and fall, summer and winter are always around too. :)

It sounds like someone will be disappointed, you, because you have to move your date, or your family, because you won't be out of school. 

If you decide to wait, don't worry, the year will pass before you know it!
  • It's only one year. I know that right now it seems like waiting another whole year seems like a long time but if your marriage is going to last lets say 50 years what difference is one year really going to make in the grand scheme of things?

And I will second what Gabrielle said - there is always summer and winter too.

• Yeah, its a bummer to wait but we have decided to push it back. Since I will graduate in Feb. of 2014 we are going to do a spring wedding, April of 2014 :) I am still excited and I know it will be just as great. But thanks girls :)
  • It will be totally and completely great. :)

The time will fly by, you'll have more time to figure out what you like. Also, April is a wonderful time for a wedding!
  • Thats really a bummer.  I know I would be devastated if I had to consider moving my date back.  Waiting till May was long enough for me.  I agree with PP, consider a winter wedding or possibly even later summer. 
  • I feel your pain. I'm kind of in the same boat. I have to graduate college first. which means another year and four month wait for me.  It was the deal breaker for my fiancee when he asked my dad for permission to marry me. In the long run though the time is going to fly by. And on the bright side you do get to spend the rest of your life witht he man =]
  • I'm sorry this happened :(

Is there any way you can talk to your family and try to help them to see? If it's a religious blessing, they should want you to get married, no? typically religious people support getting married younger.. to be a major stereotyper.

That's kind of the mentality of my family, FI and I have been dating for over 4 years and we are not waiting until after graduation to get married -we will have one year left. We chose not to live common law or have any sexual relations, so to us it's not just one more year out of 50.

Hope you can work it out and you don't have to push your wedding back too far!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards