Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Unique decoration

We are getting married in a historical church. It is beautiful but very plain. We would like to decorate with something other than flowers. Any ideas?

Re: Unique decoration

• For an historical venue you probably want to go simple with flowers. I would think that less is more in a venue like this.

Do you have any photos?
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_unique-decoration?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:057f8930-4304-4fb1-a82d-126eaa87927aPost:269d8454-34b5-4fb2-9cc6-888d10f48d8a">Re: Unique decoration</a>:
    [QUOTE]For an historical venue you probably want to go simple with flowers. I would think that less is more in a venue like this. Do you have any photos?
    Posted by brianabrad[/QUOTE]

I agree!! Usually with churches you dont really need a lot of decor because most of them have pretty detailed decor. But you could do ribbons or bows. Or just get a couple flowers here and there.
  • I can't think of anything other than flowers that wouldn't seem out of place in there. 
  • You could use ribbon and tall candelabras to decorate. For the most part, I'd just keep it simple and let the church be itself. You don't need to have a ton of flowers or whatever everywhere if you don't want them. Decorating the pews and alter area isn't necessary.
  • Save the decorating for the reception, let the church speak for itself :)
  • Actually, I really love the hydrangeas in one of the pictures in the link. I think flowers are the way to go for that church.
  • candles might be pretty. do a google image search for "candle wedding aisle" to get some ideas.
  • I read through the page as well as looking at the pictures.  Since it is a historical site I'm sure there are some very strict guidelines about what can and can't be used.  Per their website, a unity candle can be used...I'd check to see if other candles may be used.  Nothing is to be attached to the pews or walls.  Basically you are probably limited to flowers that have their own container to be in and sit on the floor.  You also have to designate someone to clean up immediately after the ceremony.  That means have friends or family doing it and missing part of the reception or hiring somebody to do it for you. 

I think if you're going with a historical site, then you need to let it's naturaly beauty shine and not add anything to it. 
  • matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    After looking at the pictures, I'm not seeing much that you can do here either.  Maybe some aisle runners for color, or some colorful but tasteful baskets for programs.  But if you're trying to avoid flowers, I'm a little short on ideas.

I'm all for appreciating a historical building for what it is, as PPs said, but I have to admit that I see your point on this.  That is one great big white wall up front.  It would bother me too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would keep it way simple. After seeing the place and reading over what your package includes it doesn't sound like you will have a lot of time to decorate anyway. It said you only get 2 hours for decorating, ceremony and pictures. Even a short ceremony will be 30 minutes and even simple decorations could take 30 minutes or so to set out. Leaving you about an hour for pictures and to get guest in and out the door.

I think a few nice flower arrangements that you could use at the ceremony and then take to the reception would be great. Some candles up at the front as well would look very nice. They would be budget friendly and easy to set out and clean up. You need to make sure you decoration within your timeline as well.
  • I like the candles idea.  Any type of extra lighing usually looks pretty like little lanterns along with flowers.
    A wedding is a party, not a performance. If at the end of the day you are married to the one you love, then everything went perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards