Wedding Invitations & Paper

Hand Writing Invites...?

What is the proper etiquette for hand writing your invitations? I have neat hand writing, but by no means can I write fancy like a calligrapher can. Is it ok to hand write my invitations neatly, or does it absolutely have to be a fancy font?
Anniversary

Re: Hand Writing Invites...?

• Yes the envelopes. The invitations themselves will be printed.
    Anniversary
  • Handwritten is preferred, but you can also run them through your printer with a fancy font or find someone to do that for you.  Another option is hiring a professonal calligrapher, but that is an expensive option.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_hand-writing-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:faa445bd-db3c-4ab3-a0ba-2812abab032dPost:c0920212-b6cc-45f0-942d-fdec938e0907">Hand Writing Invites...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the proper etiquette for hand writing your invitations? I have neat hand writing, but by no means can I write fancy like a calligrapher can. Is it ok to hand write my invitations neatly, or does it absolutely have to be a fancy font?
    Posted by Jessalyn2013[/QUOTE]
    38 yrs. ago I handwrote our invitations and we are still married. Go for it as it's YOUR wedding.
  • libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Etiquette actually says that handwriting envelopes is the most proper.  Just use your regular handwriting and don't worry about trying to write fancy.
  • Your own handwriting will be perfect as long as it is legible.
  • If your parents' names are on the top line of your invitation, like this:
    Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    request the honour of your presence...

then it's your parents who are extending the invitation to the guests.
    So the invitation comes from THEM.
    It's THEIR decision how to address the invitations being sent in their names.

My mom, for example, was clearly insistent on handwriting the envelopes.  She really felt like these were HER business, because HER name was on the top line.

So before you go making these decisions, you need to talk to your mom about how this should be handled.

Now if your parents are deceased or if they don't approve of the wedding, and you and FI's names are on the top line, then certainly you make these decisions.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_hand-writing-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:faa445bd-db3c-4ab3-a0ba-2812abab032dPost:285f80f0-a9ee-441f-880e-8541a1e1f082">Re: Hand Writing Invites...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your parents' names are on the top line of your invitation, like this: Mr. and Mrs. John Doe request the honour of your presence... then it's your parents who are extending the invitation to the guests. So the invitation comes from THEM. It's THEIR decision how to address the invitations being sent in their names. My mom, for example, was clearly insistent on handwriting the envelopes.  She really felt like these were HER business, because HER name was on the top line. So before you go making these decisions, you need to talk to your mom about how this should be handled. Now if your parents are deceased or if they don't approve of the wedding, and you and FI's names are on the top line, then certainly you make these decisions.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

My fiance and I are hosting/paying for the wedding. So our names will be on the invitations. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to use calligraphy when addressing the envelopes.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks everyone. Handwritten envelopes it is!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_hand-writing-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:faa445bd-db3c-4ab3-a0ba-2812abab032dPost:5a2cac8b-c5c3-4172-827a-1ea1542d039e">Re: Hand Writing Invites...?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hosting has nothing to do with who is paying. Invitations are not like sports arenas, with naming rights going to the highest bidder. A couple who wants to be married "from their family" would still use the traditional wording, regardless of who foots the bill.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I did mention that my fiance and I are hosting as well. We are planning, hosting and paying. All three different things and all done by us. Our names are going on the invitations. But, this is completely besides the point, because I was asking about addressing the envelopes.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards