Michigan-Northern
Options

Places to stay...things to do

My fiance and I are planning to go to Traverse City and Mackinaw Island for our honeymoon, but finding cute places to stay is a hard thing. Most bed and breakfasts around the area have cheesy linens.(things that would be in my grandmothers house.) Any ideas for good bed and breakests? Hotels that are inexpensive would be helpful too :) And any interesting ideas of what do do while we are up there... The wedding is  October 8th, so most things like swimming and other water activities are out of the question lol. Oh, and we don't drink, so wineries are out of the question. :)

Thanks!

Re: Places to stay...things to do

• Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

You'd really turn down an amazing bed and breakfast based on what the sheets look like?

• Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-northern_places-staythings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:628Discussion:e4b55166-87f1-44cf-89b5-5d820473fe89Post:6ccbf923-f0b9-420f-81db-fb87b4f2fb69">Places to stay...things to do</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are planning to go to Traverse City and Mackinaw Island for our honeymoon, but finding cute places to stay is a hard thing. Most bed and breakfasts around the area have cheesy linens.(things that would be in my grandmothers house.) Any ideas for good bed and breakests? Hotels that are inexpensive would be helpful too :) And any interesting ideas of what do do while we are up there... The wedding is  October 8th, so most things like swimming and other water activities are out of the question lol. Oh, and we don't drink, so wineries are out of the question. :) Thanks!
    Posted by kradchick[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah actually I would, I guess its more of a personal preference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would love to hear your ideas if you have any? I would still look them over and see if they would work. :)
  • Options
    southofnormalsouthofnormal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's hard to find "inexpenisve" places to stay on Mackinac Island :-) but you might try Mission Point Resort which is BEAUTIFUL. Also, I can't speak to the linens at the Lilac House, but I have hear that it's a nice little B and B. Mainly, just keep in mind that Mackinac Island represents a Victorian era and has kind of a Victorian theme running .... linens and all. :-) Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Proposal Site: 12/29/10 United States Capitol Building Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!! I'll check those out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If your up for fun in TC a night at the Great Wolf Lodge is fun with the waterslides. All my husband to bes family coming over from New Zealand and Australia are staying there before our wedding as it's only 90 min from where we are getting married and it will give them something to do it also helps that my brother is a manager there.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Six words: Grand Traverse Bay Resort and Spa. Also, on the way between TC and Mackinaw is a little town called Charlevoix-- beautiful, great shopping, and some cute B & B's there, as well as in nearby Petsoskey. And right around the 8th (usually the about the 10th, to be precise) is PEAK color up here so a scenic route might be pretty awesome. And if you happen to be in the area, Bill's Farm Market in Petoskey is really nice-- get yourself some amazing maple syrup and a great view from the top of a high hill. They have a hay ride with cider and donuts every saturday through the month of October. The biggest, most easily recognizable hotel on Mackinaw Island is The Grand Hotel. and it is pretty. One GREAT place to visit in the Mackinaw area is actually just before the bridge, before you take that ferry ride-- Old Mill Creek. They have zip-lining and all sorts of cool stuff to see and do! Hope I was of some help to you. :D

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When in Mackinaw City, don't forget to stop at the Fort Fudge Shop. It's right across from Fort Michilimacinaw. The best fudge and goodies around!
    BaMaPii!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to admit that a stop in Charlevoix is a must. It is a small town with amazing views and great beaches to walk.

Just because its october doesnt mean you cant back a mug of coffee and head to the beach to watch the sunrise or take some cheese and crackers and watch the sunset. If its chilly its a good time to sunggle up and keep eachother warm!

There is a bed and breafast called the Macdougall house (http://www.michiganbandb.com/room4.htm) My friends parents own it--they have the best food (homemade granola to die for!!) and you will not be disappointed by their company! (remember most bed and breafasts have that victorian feel--so you might have to overlook the sheets and decor if possible)

Also in october there is the apple festival. So much fun. (http://charlevoix.org/index2.php?option=com_jcalpro&Itemid=41&extmode=view&extid=3404) I hope that site works if not just go to the Charlevoix.org and search festivals. It is October 14-16. Just another option for something fun to do. It is right downtown in the park normally so its walking distance from pretty much anywhere.

Do you guys golf at all?? There are some great golfing opportunities from TC to Charlevoix to Mackinac.

Great opportunities for hiking and biking--http://charlevoix.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=89

Ok I hope this helps. If you have any questionsa bout Charlevoix let me know! Its my hometown and my favorite place in world!

good luck and have fun!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We don't like to golf :) But we do love to go hiking and biking! And yes, we do plan on watching sunsets at the beach :)  I'll have to get back to you if I have any other questions :) I'm going to look up that B and B right now. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wellington Inn  in TC is a nice B and B - old victorian house and within walking distance to the heart of downtown traverse city.  Lot's of great restaurants nearby:  Red Ginger, Bayleaf, Phil's on Front, The Cooks House.  Shopping is boutique-style with some nice food stores  - Cherry Republic, Cherry Stop, Murdicks Fudge, Kilwins.  Clothing - Posh, Krissies, Raven's Child, Haystacks

Charlevoix and Petoskey are about 50 - 60 miles from T.C. - nice color tour drive with the same type of "touristy" shops. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards