Ohio-Toledo

Catholic Priest

Does anyone know of a catholic priest who will do an outdoor ceremony? My fiance is catholic and I am not. I have always wanted an outdoor wedding. He also likes the idea of an outdoor wedding. However, it is important to him to be married by a catholic priest. He spoke with several catholic priests in the area and all refused to do an outdoor ceremony. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Catholic Priest

• cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that you need to be married in a Catholic church in order for it to be recognized by the church.  You likely will not find any Catholic priest that is willing to perform the ceremony outdoors.  If you do decide to go the Catholic church route, you may have some extra obstacles to cross since you are not Catholic.

You and your FI will just have to sit down and decide what is more important to you: an outdoor ceremony or your marriage being recognized by your FIs church.  Best of luck to you.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011

As far as I know the previous poster is right, they don't perform weddings outside the church.  Though if you did a church wedding, I don't think it would be problem, because as long as one of you is catholic they will do it.  Most catholic churches now will only marry members of their parish, so he would have to either already be a parishoner or join.  You wouldn't be able to have a catholic mass though, again that's with the churches I'm familiar with, seeing as how you are not catholic.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A Catholic priest wil not perform a wedding ceremony outside, as the walls of the church are sacred and all sacraments are to be performed inside the sacred walls.

Since your FI is Catholic, you'll be able to find a priest that will marry you with no problems -- members or not, though the fee may be higher for a non-member.  I know Regina Coeli accepts non-members for $150.  Granted, this is as long as neither one of you have ever been married before.  If either of you have been married, you need to talk to a priest about getting an annulment.  If you were baptized any other Christian religion (Lutheran, Methodist, etc), that makes it pretty easy and your FI would still receive the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.  If you are not baptized Christian, then it would not be a sacrament for your FI, but the church would still recognize the marriage.

You won't need to do anything special.  The priest or deacon will fill out the proper dispensation forms, so there won't be any additional requirements you have to do beyond what is required of Catholics.  Your FI being the Catholic party would have to promise to raise future children Catholic.  You would have to agree to not interfere with that education, but you do not have to promise to teach them Catholicsm.

I urge you to talk to your FI about his want to be married in a Catholic church. If he is not married in a Catholic church, then he cannot participate in any future sacraments.  Meaning, he will no longer be allowed to take communion or reconciliation.  He will never be allowed to be a Godparent to someone's child, and he will never be allowed to be a confirmation sponsor to anyone either.  These are pretty serious things, and you need to make sure he is OK with giving those things up to have an outdoor wedding.

I'd recommend compromising on the outdoor part.  Have the wedding inside a Catholic church, then have an outdoor cocktail party or reception, and you can take all of your wedding photos outside.  So your FI's marriage is still recognized, he can still partake in future sacraments, but you receive the outdoors as well.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    You don't have to be Catholic to be married by a Catholic priest (believe me, I'm going through this right now) but they will not let you have a wedding outdoors. If you want to get married by whatever church you're part of, they'll allow that with permission of the bishop. He doesn't necessarily have to get married in a Catholic church to get it recognized. The bishop signs a "dispensation" form and a mixed faith marriage form and you can get married in any Christian denomination. He'll still be able to take part in future sacraments, but you still have to do everything as if you were getting married in a Catholic church. If you have any questions just let me know cause I'm going through the same exact thing right now cause my fiance is Catholic and I am Lutheran.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kyoung7kyoung7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A priest will not do outdoor weddings. But since you are not catholic a deacon can marry you in the church and then there will be no need for a full mass. I'm catholic and my fiance is not so this was an option we were given by the Holy Rosary Cathedral. You could always have a priest do a private wedding with close family then a vow renewal outdoors in front of family and friends.
  • edited December 2011
    Ohhh Irohde, I had the same dilemna! I'm not catholic but H is. We couldn't find anyone.. at first. What we wound up doing, so that I could have my outdoor wedding, was we had a deacon marry us the day before in the curch. Very informal (no wedding dress involved) and only H's parents were there to witness. Then we had my dream wedding the next day and it was PERFECT!  Everyone was happy and no one got kicked out of the family for not following "catholic law". And YES, I rolled my eyes as I typed that! lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards