Attire & Accessories Forum

underthings

I picked up my dress last Saturday and it's absolutely perfect. It came with cups already sewn it. The bust is huge and I'm about a C or small D so it needs to be taken in extensively but I think the cups that are already there will be supportive enough. 

When I picked it up I had on neon pink underwear and my sister said she could see it but when I tried it on for my mom while she was over visiting, my underwear was a mint green and she said she couldn't see it. I'm planning on getting some flesh colored cotton undies (FI will be so pleased...) 

Is that it? I don't want or need shapewear - the dress is draped in a very flattering way and hides my bit of pooch. 

No slip, no bra, no anything except underwear? Is it really that easy? I feel like my BFF had like 80 complicated things to put on under her dress. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: underthings

• Thats all I plan on wearing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2012
    I wore a slip & corset mainly for sweat absorbtion purposes as my dress was silk and I was worried about it sweat showing through or the dress sticking to me.
  • I wore a pair of blue undies and nothing else.

If the dress fits you well and is comfortable then there really is no reason to wear anything else.

• It all depends on the style of gown. If yours is a fabric that shows sweat or rolls, then spanx it up under there. If your dress is a heavy affair, give it a corset to scaffold onto so you arent tugging all night to keep it from falling If your dress needs volume underneath, shimmy into a slip with the necessary shaped frills sewn in. If it's none of the above, go on and freestyle with your bad self!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• It's a chiffon sheath with lots of draping.  

Sottero and Midgley Colby clicky
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_underthings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c01ff65f-151c-4dd0-9562-6c574b20e50ePost:e9bbec9a-87e9-4693-b991-fdb4d293d2c3">Re:underthings</a>:
    [QUOTE]It all depends on the style of gown. If yours is a fabric that shows sweat or rolls, then<strong> spanx it up</strong> under there. If your dress is a heavy affair, give it a corset to scaffold onto so you arent tugging all night to keep it from falling If your dress needs volume underneath, shimmy into a slip with the necessary shaped frills sewn in. If it's none of the above, go on and freestyle with your bad self!
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

I would highly recommend against anyone doing this. If you've never worn spanx for 6+ hours, they are extremely painful. I do it about twice a year, and I can't IMAGINE being so uncomfortable on my wedding day.
  • Underwear is all I plan to wear under the my dress!
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to Re:underthings:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:underthings:It all depends on the style of gown. If yours is a fabric that shows sweat or rolls, then spanx it up under there. If your dress is a heavy affair, give it a corset to scaffold onto so you arent tugging all night to keep it from falling If your dress needs volume underneath, shimmy into a slip with the necessary shaped frills sewn in. If it's none of the above, go on and freestyle with your bad self!Posted by PeledreamsofrainI would highly recommend against anyone doing this. If you've never worn spanx for 6 hours, they are extremely painful. I do it about twice a year, and I can't IMAGINE being so uncomfortable on my wedding day. Posted by

It depends on personal discomfort thresholds, and preferences. I don't mind wearing super tight clothes because I worked in a renaissance faire for a few years and practically lived in a period accurate corset. Didn't bother me much. Try it a day and see. I'd pick discomfort over sweat circles on my wedding day every time. Just my preference.

cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I wore a corset and a petticoat under my dress but it was also a big ballgown that benefitted from having all those extra layers under the skirt. And my dress didn't have cups sewn in so I preferred having the corset as it allowed for the support and coverage of a bra with some extra tummy control that made me feel less self-concious. And I think being comfortable is big part of what you wear under there (I wouldn't have wanted to wear my dress without the corset but I shopped around after I realized I couldn't breathe in the DB longline bra.) 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012
    I only wore blue undies under my dress as well!

I wanted to wear them again under my AHR dress, but that dress was much thinner and showed the blue!  I was pissed since I didn't have any nude undies with me.  I had to go commando (eek).
  • I just wore underwear under mine (leopard print but my dress was so thick there was no seeing under it). I loved not having to wear a bra (I also had cups sewn in).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I wore nada under the gown. It can truly be that easy. Don't give in to sales people being pushy. if you like the feel of the dress as is, there ya go! 
  • I'm a D and can't imagine not wearing a bra/corset under my gown. I typically wear a bra under tanks/shirts with built-in bras, I don't find that sewn in cups provide enough support.

The only thing I'd suggest that you consider is how the dress hangs - if you were fitted while wearing a bra, it might look different if you go without. (the opposite also holds true.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards