Interfaith Weddings

Not so interfaith...

I just need to vent. The more I work on our ceremony, the more I realize no matter what I try, it's just a Jewish ceremony. I'm getting really frustrated because I wish I could incorporate more Catholicism into our ceremony but it's just not happening.

I'm thrilled with how the ceremony is shaping up because I think the Jewish wedding customs are beautiful. (I'm more culturally Jewish then religious these days) The ceremony will be gorgeous and meaningful but I hate the feeling that FI's family faith is left out.

Now I'm thinking maybe we can do a special grace or something similar before we serve dinner.
Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio

Re: Not so interfaith...

• Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have a soloist in the middle of the ceremony.  The classic Catholic song is Ave Maria, but a beautiful piece from an opera would also work.

Have a classic reading.  Love is Patient Love is Kind...is the most frequent reading but there are others too. 
  • Juliet212Juliet212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel the same way!! And the funny thing is that Fi (who is Jewish) isn't even practicing. The problem is, there are so many Jewish customs that need to be explained to all. I feel that the vows are Jewish (all parts that come from the bible are Old Testament).

What about if you had the Catholic priest give a little speech (homily as they call it in the catholic religion)? As Magdala said, maybe use popular Catholic readings.

See for my wedding, we are not doing readings. Since we are geting married at the reception venue, our ceremony is limited to 30 minutes.

Keep me posted... would love to hear of ways that you incorporate Catholic religion a little more. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We aren't a priest. We are having a rabbi and our best friend is like a co-officant. The priest at FI's church refuses to have any part of an interfaith wedding and when I have discussed this issue with Catholics..they normally rip me to shreds because I don't understand how Catholism works and the rules.

We also weren't really planning on readings because we too only have 30 minutes.

I talked to FI and his parents over the weekend about this and everyone is okay. They think the ceremony will still be rich and meaningful as it is now but I'm still feeling guilty.

Planning Bio
  • Juliet212Juliet212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure it's going to turn out great. I am going to keep checking you bio though for some ceremony details. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I finished our ceremony text last night but am still not ready to share lol...I want to sit with it a little while longer and show it to the rabbi to make sure I haven't screwed too much up haha

Planning Bio
  • sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Im not sure but maybe you can incorporate  more 'Catholic' things in other parts  like the reception?  Or things common to the Catholic religion.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm Catholic and willing to help out - I suggest a few readings like Corinthians 12 and 13 (Love is patient, love is kind).  The suggestion above for the Ave Maria is nice, although it's traditional in the Church for the bride to give flowers to Mary when this happens.  Seeing as you are the Jewish party, that might not be very meaningful for your fiance.  Catholics also say the Lord's Prayer during the ceremony - that might be good because it never mentions Jesus, so it's sort of a prayer that Jews and Christians might be able to agree upon.  Ultimately, though, Catholics are pretty stodgy about their ceremony going exactly the way they are set up in the Church, so unless you go all the way (which it looks like you don't want to do), you're not really going to have a very Catholic ceremony, especially in the eyes of your in-laws.  I do find it weird that there aren't any priests who are willing to coofficiate with your Rabbi - usually the Church is pretty accommodating (if patronizing) about interfaith weddings.  I would ask a few more priests for suggestions.  And if you have more questions you can always ask me - I won't rip you to pieces ^_^
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards