Outdoor Weddings

Can't pick a venue!!

We got engaged a little over a month ago, and have been venue searching ever since! We know we want outdoors - ceremony and reception. Small, intimate, rustic-y. Since half the guests are coming from out of country, we decided instead of getting married in our current city (Phoenix, AZ) we would head to San Diego - its close enough for the people from Phoenix, fun for the out of towners and I really have no desire to get married in AZ. We narrowed down our list and checked out our top 3 venues - all of which i LOVE.  My main concern keeps coming back to space.  Two of the venues are rather large and we are probably only going to have 30-35 people tops. Our 3rd choice - which I love- is a private home we'd rent out and stay at for the week and have a backyard wedding.  The yard is kind of small, but the views are amazing.  But holy, $$$! For the venue, accomodations, catering, dj, photography, officiant, decor, etc, etc - I keep coming out at around $12-14,000!!! And I feel like that's without any extras.  For 30 people?!  I feel like for that price, I could have a REAL destination wedding at a resort! But with a resort, the cost is going to be more expensive for the guests and probably cut down on our numbers (and the 30 is close family/friends we'd love to be there) - plus add in that we're both vegan and desire to have our own catering - a resort seems unrealistic. 
Any advice is welcome! I'm beginning to feel frustrated!

Re: Can't pick a venue!!

• If you love the rental home use it! Do it yourself is definately the way to go. Make many of your decorations and keep it simple! A bouquet of flowers you arrange yourself, could be quite special. Wrap the stem cluster with a pretty ribbon to dress it up. Do a luncheon instead of dinner, or plan a potluck where everyone brings a dish to pass. Its your wedding, be creative and make it personal and unique!
  • If it's in your budget I would go with the rental home, esp. if your the crafty type as that can help cut some major costs- just beware, some places do charge a TON of extra fees and require insurance when using a rental home as an event space. We really loved this option, but couldn't find a rental both large enough for our guests and willing to rent for events. 
    July 2013 Knottie Siggy Challenge: Location, Location! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with PPs, if its in your budget, I say go with the rental house if that's what you like. Our location is costing us more than we budgetted so I have done a lot of DIY to cut back in other places of the budget to make up for it.
  • Can you keep searching for a another venue. Sounds like they all have their drawbacks.  For me, as a budget bride, I would not sacrifice money for the private home. Plus the yard is small.  Find out about the other venues and if they can close off a room to make it more intimate to suit your needs.  I personally think 12000 bucks for a 30 person wedding is outrageous. However, if you have that kind of money and want to spend it on your wedding but don't want to up your guest list numbers, it's up to you and you can book the private home if that is your favorite venue.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • diddsrdiddsr member
    First Comment
    We are having a small wedding -about 45 people..My family is from NY and his family is from MO. We live in florida and decided to have a wedding in FL so people could make it a small vacation. The venue we picked is small but beautiful . After all expences this wedding will cost us over 15,000!! I wouldnt change a thing...Dont settle!! Rent the house!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards