Registry and Gift Forum

Register with Photographer

Hi Ladies,

My fiance and I are on a tight budget and can't afford the several thousand dollars it will cost us for a decent photographer.  I tried doing someone more affordable and our engegement photos were horrible.

We are thinking the only way we can afford someone is if we somehow set it up as a regisrty.  Similar to honeymoon registy maybe?

Is this tacky?  Is it acceptable?  Has anyone done it?  I'd love any feed back, thanks ladies!

Kate

Re: Register with Photographer

• No, you should not register to pay for part of the wedding (which includes the photographer).  It is highly inappropriate.  Do not ask your guests for money to fund your photographer.  You should not be asking for money, period.

• edited August 2010
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, My fiance and I are on a tight budget and can't afford the several thousand dollars it will cost us for a decent photographer.  I tried doing someone more affordable and our engegement photos were horrible. We are thinking the only way we can afford someone is if we somehow set it up as a regisrty.  Similar to honeymoon registy maybe? Is this tacky?  Is it acceptable?  Has anyone done it?  I'd love any feed back, thanks ladies! Kate
    Posted by kliberti[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but it's tacky.

That aside, I'd be worried about the timing - what if you couldn't get enough money in time for the wedding? Or if you did get all the money you'd need but s/he were all booked up because it took too long? I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Make cuts elsewhere, or ask a friend if s/he wouldn't mind taking a few posed shots of you and the WP after the ceremony (and personally, I'd offer an amount of money for this). And/or set up an account at Flickr/Shutterfly/Kodak/Webshots and ask your guests to upload their shots of the reception. They might not be pro-quality (or, you never know, some people might surprise you) but it's better than asking your guests to buy your photographer.

Good luck!
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Ew.  Asking for money in any form is tacky.  Asking for money to fund the actual wedding is.... there are no words.

You also never, ever book something counting on gifts to pay for it.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Sorry this is just a bad idea all around.

• I had a friend who did this and it was not well received.  You shouldn't expect your guests to help fund your wedding. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh, this is way worse than a HM registry, both are tacky, tacky.  If you can't afford it, check your budget again. Cut things out you don't need or DIY some projects. You never ask your guests for money under any circumstances. Very inappropriate.
  • Sorry.  This is just a bad idea on so many levels, not the least of which is what happens if you book the photographer and then don't get the $$ for it from the "registry"? 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I agree with the fact that you should not ask for help from your guests to pay for any part of the actual wedding.  Especially...what if you don't get enough, and then end up with no photographer?  You really need to either sacrifice budget elsewhere to pay for the photographer you want, or go with someone less expensive.
    Anniversary
  • I would try and get another photographer. It's possible that you can find a better photographer that's still affordable... maybe the first one was a dud.
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • So, a photographer has been my biggest stress and last night I posted on craigslist on the "gigs" area exactly what I was looking for...

*date
    *hours
    *general location
    *any albums/dvds/prints/etc wanted
    *style of photog i like
    *general budget (*go a little low and then you have wiggle room)

You will be surprised on what you get in response!!

I have had probably abut 15-20 emails back already... About half were dead ends, about 25% were WAY too expensive, but I have a solid 5 or so photogs that I am now considering that are completely in my budget and i LOVE their style...  I even had someone that generally charges over $2000 offer me half off!!!

Good luck, I would definitely try this idea!!  (as a side note-- my wedding is early november and i have still found plenty of people available!!!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_register-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:cd222a35-ed14-4ec9-8ddb-44ccf17489adPost:eb240818-e35e-40e0-bc35-58c8d69cf1b5">Re: Register with Photographer</a>:
    [QUOTE] (as a side note-- my wedding is early november and i have still found plenty of people available!!!)
    Posted by cupcakecolleen[/QUOTE]

I think that might be why you're getting deals, though, too. If OP is willing to wait until closer, she might too. Honestly, I just started planning our Nov. wedding, and I'm getting awesome deals too. My theory is...they figure if they aren't booked by now, no one is going to be crazy enough to call them after I do! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Very true!  I didn't think about it that way :)

No complaints though

I did however, at least receive responses from many photogs that I did not even know existed in my area... so... its worth a shot!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cupcake, definitely worth a shot! And if you're not set on a particular vendor/venue and live in an area with lots of options (I happen to) I think waiting this long has many plusses! Seriously. Decisions have to be made fast, and people know no one else will come around, so are  more willing to negotiate! As an example, we're also getting 2 bands for what we'd budgeted for one. Crazy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is a horrible idea.  HORRIBLE.  It is rude and tacky and just a bad bad idea.  I agree with previous posts.  What if you don't get enough money? (I sure as heck wouldn't contribute to someone's wedding fund!) And you have a lot of other options!  Go to a college in your area and talk to someone in the photography department.  There are likely senior students or recent graduates who would do an awesome job but for a low price because they are new and just building their portfolio.  Sadly, you may have to just lower your standards or push the wedding back until you can afford what you want. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited August 2010
    Try local art schools to see if there are any budding photographers that want something to add to their portfolio (you'll still have to pay them, but they're far less expensive).

Also, you have over a year to save.  I know it's daunting with the rest of your budget to consider, but what if you made lunch instead of bought it?  My boyfriend and I have cut down our weekly food bill from $200 (eating out for every lunch and several dinners, plus expensive ingredients for at-home cooking) to $70 (making a menu for the week, only buying the groceries necessary for the menu, and making everything at home).  In the last 4 months, even when we splurge occasionally, that has saved us well over $1000, which we're using as spending money on a trip to Europe.  Plus we've been eating healthier, which is a huge bonus!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I totally agree that this is a horrible idea. registering in general is a tricky idea.

I'm sure you or a family friend knows someone who doesn't completely suck with a camera. Obviously when you are planning a wedding on a budget you aren't expecting a professional photog. If you are then you need to push your wedding date and start saving money for the wedding you really want. My friend's photog cost her $500 it was a friend of the family who ahd a nicer camera then most people and the pictures were simple but very worthy.

Good luck!
  • It's your wedding so it's your responsibility to fund.

You have a year. Surely you could save up?  Cut out eating out, movies, and other unnecessaries.   BUdget, budget, budget! Yeah, it might suck for now but wouldn't giving up something temporarily be worth having great photos of your wedding day?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Have you talked to your original photographer that you loved and asked if they can work within your budget? Lots of photographers can either work with you *Esp if you tell them how much you truly love their work etc* or give you references to other photographers who have a similar style but may be less expensive.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards