Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Catering Issues

Hey all,
I'm having a huge catering issue. I have a small wedding like 20 people. As soon as these caterers I am contacting find out, I never hear back. I've even been hung up on. I don't know what to do. Ive contacted the caterers on here in Kansas City, KS. I've contacted ones from wedding shows and magazine and online and nothing. I want people to be able to eat. What should I do?

Re: Catering Issues

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our top 2 caterer choices are gourmet stores that also do catering. See if you have any in your area. They are an excellent choice, because they don't make all their money from catering, they order food for their specialty store so it's not just for catering events, and their prices are reasonable.

I went in and told them I wanted salad, appetizer, main course with 2 sides, and a sundae bar later in the evening. I'm getting that with coffee & rolls/butter for under $20 per person.

With a smaller wedding, you may have to pay a delivery fee, but hopefully it won't be too bad

Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    I would contact restaurants instead, since as PP mentioned they're not getting all of their business from catering events.  If you haven't picked a venue yet, you might even consider renting a private room at a restaurant for a group that size; they will take care of many of the details for you and you could have a greater variety of food options.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. Go to restaurants. They are always more then willing to help!
  • edited December 2011
    I understand why they aren't interested, but it's really rude of them to hang up or just not call back. Consider yourself lucky that you don't have to work with people like that. Twenty people is probably not feasible for them because they wouldn't get much profit for the work they have to put in. Like pp said, you'd be much better off contacting one of your favorite restaurants to see if they would cater or reserve a small room in a restaurant for your reception. You'll still get really great food (perhaps even better because they want your and your guest's return business) and you'll get an intimate atmosphere for your reception.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Kansas City, MO - here are some restaurants in the area that I know offer catering to fairly small groups:

Room 39 (their food is phenomenal!): http://rm39.com/catering.htm

Cupini's: http://www.cupinis.com/?page=Catering

The Classic Cup: http://www.classiccup.com/classic_cup_catering.htm

If you want more casual, "soul" food, you might also try contacting the BBQ restaurants: Oklahoma Joe's, Gates, Jack Stack, etc.
    weddingcollage
  • edited December 2011
    For twenty people I would call restaurants - lots of restaurants do catering.  
    I'm in the KC area too - did you try Brancato's?  They've been great to me so far. 

I will say that some vendors just suck at getting back to you.  Even though I've been happy with all my vendors, a lot of them take a few days to return an email or phone call.  
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You might also look at hiring a private chef over a caterer.  Private chefs are usually used to cooking for and serving much smaller groups of people than caterers are, and can offer you a more creative menu as well.  If you already have a reception/dinner location, especially one with a kitchen, you have pretty much all you need.  If waitstaff is needed the chef will usually be able to find them for you.
  • lindenartfxlindenartfx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much. I will definitly look in to them. We were thinking about Jack Stack BBQ because their food is so good and for what we want, its not a bad price. Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards