Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

What color does groomsmen and groom wear?

Sorry for the strange question.
Next month I'm going with my fiance and the groomsmen to the tux rental shop.

The bridesmaid colors are lapis (dark purple).
What should the groosmen wear? Vest? Or just tie? Do they wear purple, and my fiance wear something different?

Re: What color does groomsmen and groom wear?

•  How formal do you want them to be? You can go with Tux, suit, vest or none. I've seen both the vest and tie match the BMs, just the tie matching with black vests or both being some other color.

I've also seen the groom have a different tie and vest (white)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hm..I would like it to be formal.
    How about the GM in a black vest, with purple tie.
    What would be good for my FI, as I don't want him looking "plain" in just black/white? I'm just lost, lol, sorry!
  • Will my fiance still stand out in just a regular tux?
    Or what else can I do to make him look different instead of just regular black/white?
  • libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Our GMs wore grey vests and blue ties.  To make my H stand out, he had a different pocket square, but the rest was the same.

Edit: To clarify, the guys were wearing tuxes, not just the vests.
  • H's classic, black tuxedo was identical to his best man's.  They both wore long black ties and black vests.  My best man wore a black tuxedo (not identical), black (with small white polka dots) braces and a solid black bow tie.  All three had different boutonnieres.

IMHO, colored vests and ties look like prom night.  Cut yourself some slack and stay out of the tux shop anyway ... go get a mani/pedi.  They'll figure it out.  Good luck!
  • My girls are wearing Lapis too, and so far the plan is for the groom is doing black suit with a white vest and white tie (He also liked the idea of doing a black vest with a purple shirt and a purple-patterned tie).  GM are doing black vest with purple tie (either solid or possibly a pattern depending on what the options are).  Him and his brother are going "shopping" in a few weeks to try on teh styles they have liked in pictures and will decide from there. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards