Moms and Maids

Help with future mother in law

So ever since I met my fianc I knew he and his mother had an extremely strained relationship because of the way she raised him she basically tortured him until he turned 18 and moved out and even then she continued her antics. He is not close with his family at all but they still are in contact in fact we just got back from vacation with his family which we thought was a bad idea from the start but went a long anyways and realized it was in fact a miserable trip unless it was just the two of us. Anyways over vacation I realized that the potential for his mother making both of us completely miserable on our wedding day and throughout the planning process is highly likely and practically inevitable my fianc and I discussed this last night and he is in 100 agreement in fact he reminded me that she has successfully ruined ever major event in his life from graduation to accepting awards and other degrees. I really do not want her there at all but on the flip side we both love my family and he is very close with my brothers and my dad and I want a somewhat traditional wedding in the sense of having the first dance and father daughter dance but I am not opposed to going away. Is there any way I can avoid her at the wedding I don't even want her talking to my guests or is there some way we can set her straight up front or just not invite her at all. I appreciate all responses.
side note she has never been diagnosed with a mental illness but we are and most everyone else who has met her believe she should be on medication.

Re: Help with future mother in law

• edited July 2012
    I think I need more details regarding what she's done to ruin past events before I could advise in this situation.  I also need more details as to what kind of relationship your FI wants with her in the future.  Is he trying to maintain a relationship, or has he cut her out of his life?  If he's maintaining a relationship, how much of one?  If he hasn't cut her out of his life, why hasn't he- what's keeping him tied to her?  All of these things matter a lot in deciding what to do.
  • If your Fi decides to cut off contact with his family or his mother, you should support him, but the decision should be his. If someone is going to set her straight, it should be him. Fi is not obligated to invite an abusive parent to anything, even his wedding. Where is Fi's father?

If fi decides to invite her to the wedding, you should seat her with someone she admires and wants to impress. Hopefully, that might inspire her to be on her best behaviour. You could also let each set of parents 'host' the guests of their choice, at their own tables. Use  seating assignments to separate FMIL from your family. You probably won't be able to avoid her entirely, but if she is happy with her table mates, she may spend most of the wedding with them.

You may have a father daughter dance, even if Fi's mother is there and he has decided not to dance with her.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_help-with-future-mother-in-law?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:174933f9-d7e9-4acc-8ce4-68516cf52b2fPost:18675ac0-7829-4446-8c8d-7dd1e0a0a9f6">Help with future mother in law</a>:
    [QUOTE]So ever since I met my fianc I knew he and his mother had an extremely strained relationship because of the way she raised him she basically tortured him until he turned 18 and moved out and even then she continued her antics. He is not close with his family at all but they still are in contact in fact we just got back from vacation with his family which we thought was a bad idea from the start but went a long anyways and realized it was in fact a miserable trip unless it was just the two of us. Anyways over vacation I realized that the potential for his mother making both of us completely miserable on our wedding day and throughout the planning process is highly likely and practically inevitable my fianc and I discussed this last night and he is in 100 agreement in fact he reminded me that she has successfully ruined ever major event in his life from graduation to accepting awards and other degrees. I really do not want her there at all but on the flip side we both love my family and he is very close with my brothers and my dad and I want a somewhat traditional wedding in the sense of having the first dance and father daughter dance but I am not opposed to going away. Is there any way I can avoid her at the wedding I don't even want her talking to my guests or is there some way we can set her straight up front or just not invite her at all. I appreciate all responses. side note she has never been diagnosed with a mental illness but we are and most everyone else who has met her believe she should be on medication.
    Posted by Cupcakedoll7612[/QUOTE]

Does he want his mother at his wedding or doesn't he?
  • I'm having a hard time seeing why she should be there at all.

Sometimes the families we are born with are not the right families for us. My FI is estranged from his brother for very good reasons, and I completely support him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards