Louisiana-New Orleans

Federal Ballroom

So the Federal Ballroom was recommended to us for our reception and we looked at the packages and are a bit skeptical...seems like too good of a deal. Has anyone had their reception here or been to a reception here? How was the food??

thanks in advance for your feedback....hopefully ill soon book a place for the reception and I can stop asking yall questions!!!

Melissa

Re: Federal Ballroom

• edited December 2011
    The Federal Ballroom allows you to bring in your own cateror. They suggest Capdeboscq Catering. I've never personally eaten any of their food, but I've heard really great things. They are crazy affordable.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone know what the capacity for the Federal Ballroom is? Both reception and seated?

Thanks.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    The info I was given when I went to view the property states that they can accommodate 350-400 guests, depending on the room setup. I don't have the stats for a seated event.
  • hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how much is the cheapest per person? just curious - I seem to remember a ton of venue fees on top of catering...
  • NolaBride2012NolaBride2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, they charge $4,000 for the room rental, but that's probably somewhere in the middle/upper end of the "room rental fees" i found in new orleans.

On top of that, their preferred caterer (as someone mentioned above, Capdeboscq catering) is around 35 bucks/head (exclusive of tax & gratuity). But that includes a bar, so yeah, it's crazy affordable.

I'm scheduling a tasting with them within the next few weeks, I'll report back :D

Melaford, private message me and I'll give you my email address - I'm also going back and forth between them and another place, we can pro/con!
  • edited December 2011
    I looked at the Federal Ballroom and absolutely loved it and HAD to have it. Unfortuntately I found the coordinator there to be so difficult and hard to get in touch with that I ended up giving up on them. It was such a hard choice because I LOVED this place more than anything and it was exactly what I imagined. I would email her and it would take a week or so for her to respond. I would ask her specific questions in emails and she would never answer my questions. Even the paper work was difficult as she didn't really have a clear contract to offer me. The menu for their referred caterer looked alot like bar food to me. We were told that we could use an outside caterer that wasn't preferred for a charge but them were told later that it wasn't possible. This and many other things were hard to deal with so, I figured if it was that difficult while she was trying to get my business, once she had it, I couldn't imagine how difficult things would be and I couldn't take that stress.
  • NolaBride2012NolaBride2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, I said I'd report back (and I'm sure no one will read this now) BUT I went to the tasting tonight, and it went really well! The food was good - out of the 15 hors d'oeuvres I albsolutley LOVED about six of them, liked most of them, and there was probably about 3 I didn't care for. I'm a decently picky eater, so take that as you will.

On top of that, the reason the price is so reduced is the guy is out of Marrero. Really sweet family-owned business, but they've been catering weddings for like50 years.. so, as we all know, if you get your vendors outside the city, they're likely to be cheaper!

Anyway, hope that helps anyone who may search for this one day in the future...
  • morgan512morgan512 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using the Federal Ballroom for my wedding in December 2011.  Yes, the rental fee is $4,000, but as you know if you've even begun to scratch the surface on New Orleans weddings, this is pretty average if not cheap!  I've been engaged for over 3 years, so I have been researching venues for an extremely long time and this place is awesome compared to a lot of other places.  The interior is pretty and neutral.  I am expecting over 250 people which they can easily accomodate, but it is not so big that it would swallow up a smaller crowd. The caterer is awesome, very yummy (I had it at another wedding), and is CRAZY cheap just like everyone else said.  Also, I have not had the bad experience with the coordinator, she calls me quite often actually (even while I was on vacation in Disney World!).  She has answered my emails pretty quickly as well.  $35 is the cheapest per head, but that includes non stop food, alcohol, a bridal cake, grooms cake (both from Swiss or Haydel's), and some other things.  (and...if you want, your parents or whomever can come the next day and pick up all the left overs!!!).  All in all, its a beautiful place for a great price.  You will be very lucky if you can get away with a wedding in New Orleans for under about $15,000.
  • edited December 2011
    Morgan,

May I ask where you're having your ceremony? And if you have any out of town guests that are staying in a hotel nearby to the Federal Ballroom?

Thanks!
    Soon to be a Mrs! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • zcaricaz3zcaricaz3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also having my reception at the Federal Ballroom. Our ceremony will be at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church on North Rampart. We are going to second line to the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards