Wedding Party
Options

Choosing bridesmaids with no close friends

Hi, girls.

I'm newly engaged and thinking of the bridal party.  My fiance has several very close friends who are like brothers to him.  I have two cousins and wives of friends.  The wives have said that they can't commit to being in our wedding.  At this point, I wonder if my cousins will even be interested.  How do I choose bridesmaids when I have no close female friends?

At this point, I'm ready to elope.

Jen

Re: Choosing bridesmaids with no close friends

• Options
    You arnt required to have any BMs in your wedding. Nor are they required to be a specific age, gender, orientation, relation to you, etc Its one part of the wedding where its completely acceptable to invite exactly who you want, enjoy it. Other parts of the wedding won't necessarily cater to your personal choices so well.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options

Do you have any close guy friends?  I have a really good friend, who at the time had mainly female friends.  He asked me to stand with him and his now wife had a guy on her side.
  • Options
    Really?  I can have no one on my side, but he can have 5 of his friends stand up with him?  It is kind of representative, though.  I have very little family to speak of, and have been primarily on my own for my adult life.  It would be fitting if I walked myself down the aisle, and stood alone at the altar with him.  But that's a whole other therapy session...

You guys are right, I don't need to make this decision right away.  I'll work on securing the venue for the ceremony and reception and get my gown first, then work on the bridal party.

Good luck to all of us!

Jen
  • Options
    Don't ask anyone to be in your bridal party until about 6-8 months before the wedding. And if you don't have anyone particularly close to you by then, then just skip having bridesmaids at all.   I agree with PPs, you don't need even sides.
  • Options
    Or you guys can just have 1 person stand on each side.  You don't need an entourage, just witness signatures.  I am sure his guy friends won't be hurt they didn't get asked to stand.  They are guys.  If they are that hurt, they can be the MC or do readings.  There are many other roles. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_choosing-bridesmaids-with-no-close-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:a616cc5d-f0a5-4013-81e2-6cbd4596632cPost:ebc8e514-4175-40c9-9b3d-137782a247a1">Re: Choosing bridesmaids with no close friends</a>:
    [QUOTE]Really?  I can have no one on my side, but he can have 5 of his friends stand up with him?  It is kind of representative, though.  I have very little family to speak of, and have been primarily on my own for my adult life.  It would be fitting if I walked myself down the aisle, and stood alone at the altar with him.  But that's a whole other therapy session... You guys are right, I don't need to make this decision right away.  I'll work on securing the venue for the ceremony and reception and get my gown first, then work on the bridal party. Good luck to all of us! Jen
    Posted by jgoonthe5[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-size:8.5pt;color:#1f1f1f;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';"><span style="font-size:8.5pt;color:#1f1f1f;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';"><span style="font-size:8.5pt;color:#1f1f1f;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';">HI! I feel somewhat the same way as you. I am newly engaged too. I thought I would have close friends in my life by now that would be so eager to help and want to be a part of the bridal party. That has not happened yet, but I feel that soon I will find some women that are  willing to help and be there for me at this time. I kind of wish there was a way to ask other brides that have been in this situation- what they would do or if they want to be my bridesmaids LOL! <span> </span>I feel that it is about representation and feeling that you got <span> </span>girls there for you during this time. Good luck on finding quality bridesmaids! </span></span></span>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_choosing-bridesmaids-with-no-close-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:a616cc5d-f0a5-4013-81e2-6cbd4596632cPost:bf915a36-e4bf-48d3-9c0f-09fb6d39c23c">Re: Choosing bridesmaids with no close friends</a>:
    [QUOTE]The person who should "Be there for you" is your fiance.  The two of you will be spending the rest of your lives together. NOBODY should be needed to "be there for you" during wedding planning! It's a happy time.  You don't need people to "be there for you" when you're happy.  People need to "be there for you" when your husband is in a car wreck or you lose a job and end up homeless. How far off is your wedding? Other people don't get that excited until closer to The Day, or when it's time to look for bridesmaid's dresses. 
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-size:8.5pt;color:#1f1f1f;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';">You are right! I am so lucky to have my fiancé. I was thinking that I want a group of girls that were happy for me and want to be a part of this with me. But it is about me and him. I’ll have to remember that!</span>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards