Getting in Shape

wheat pasta mac and cheese?

I usually use the Velveeta shells and cheese but I'm trying to do more whole grains.  At the store I did see the Kraft mac and cheese with whole wheat pasta but I wondered if there are any other brands out there or if it is super easy to make the cheese sauce yourself (for about 3 servings)?  We do have a Whole Foods but I hate to make a special trip there if I'm not going to find what I'm looking for.  Thanks!

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.

Re: wheat pasta mac and cheese?

• I only use wheat pasta. I don't typically eat mac and cheese much, but I know of an easy cheese sauce to make with your pasta. It's fairly low in calories.

Ingredients:
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 cup reduced fat sour cream
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

I usually sautee some bell peppers with this too. Sautee your peppers for about 5-10 mins (depending on how you like them). Add in the sour cream, chicken broth, and garlic to your peppers. Simmer for about 5 min's uncovered. Then add your cheese, stir and remove from heat. Serve over wheat pasta. I add a little cayenne pepper in too to give it a nice kick.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Annie's mac and cheese is great for that.  I'm always in favor of making my own, though, so that I can use less processed cheese.  Do you have a crockpot?  If so, you can make amazing slow cooker mac and cheese.
    Anniversary
  • meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Thanks!  The recipe does sound good.  I do have a crock pot and didn't think of making it in the slow cooker, will have to search the slow cooker recipes too.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Here's an awesome slow-cooker recipe I found on Pinterest.

http://whiskandaprayer.blogspot.com/2010/08/magazinecookbook-monday-slow-baked-mac.html

I made the following substitutions for the recipe to try and be a bit healthier -
    nonfat milk
    egg beaters
    lowfat cheese
    whole wheat pasta
    Anniversary
  • Annie's is pretty good for a boxed m&c, although homemade is always better (and easier to control nutrition).
    Anniversary
  • Agree with PPs who have mentioned Annie's- their whole wheat mac and cheese is good!  But I like Annie's better than Kraft anyway, and Target usually has it on sale for $1 a box.  :)

I make my own if I really want to be healthy, but sometimes you just want that powdered cheese flavor, you know?
  • If you want whole grain pasta that kind of tastes more like white pasta try Ancient Grains Quinoa and Corn pasta and then use velvetta on that :D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wheat-pasta-mac-cheese?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:6b7173c5-f2f8-4c18-8089-4b22c47d9e83Post:ab173537-d0e8-43d8-b337-263f30a1575d">Re: wheat pasta mac and cheese?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agree with PPs who have mentioned Annie's- their whole wheat mac and cheese is good!  But I like Annie's better than Kraft anyway, and Target usually has it on sale for $1 a box.  :) <strong>I make my own if I really want to be healthy, but sometimes you just want that powdered cheese flavor, you know?</strong>
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]
    Haha, that's true. I find all of those boxed mac & cheeses way too salty, even the Annie's. I'm gulping water for hours after. I never realize it, but then when I've gone through 2L in 4 hours, I trace it back. It's a nice treat, but I don't do it.<div>
    </div><div>I make mac & cheese with Trader Joes whole wheat pasta & cheddar flavored Daiya cheese. I just make a basic cheese sauce with unsweetened coconut milk, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and a little veggie broth to thin it out after I add the shredded 'cheese.' It has to be watery so it stays moist. Then I bake it with Italian seasoned bread crumbs or panko on the top. My non-vegan friends are always impressed.</div>
  • I second the Trader Joe's organic! It's $2 a box here and great in a quick pinch and has that comfort food feel. At lot of times, I'll add frozen veggies to feel like I've gotten some nutrients out of it. 
  • edited February 2012
    I love annie's rice and cheddar pasta, but I can't eat gluten, so maybe I am biased!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards