Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

DOC

The post about DOCs got me thinking...I don't have one and I'm wondering what their responsibilities include.  Anyone else not using one?  I'm seeing how many people are using one and it's making me nervous.
Photobucket

Re: DOC

• edited December 2011
    I didn't use one, Stacy, and for me to have hired one would have probably been a waste.  My venue (Normandy Farm) was all-inclusive and had an event planning staff and a dedicated day-of coordinator that they assigned to me anyway, so someone I hd hired would have just gotten in the way.  Absolutely everything went smoothly, and right before the wedding I found myself just needing to confirm times with everyone (all my vendors called me, and I e-mailed the bridal party, parents, etc.)  and then day-of I delegated small tasks (like getting a groomsmen to bring all the girls' bouquets upstairs to our room) as the need arose.  It all worked out just fine. 

That said, if you're putting a lot more of the wedding together on your own or your venue isn't all-inclusive, I can see how having a DOC would help.  I only had the DJ, photographer, and florist to deal with, and they were all familiar with my venue and knew what to do and who to talk to.  If you had a caterer coming in, and someone doing lighting or decor, and the florist, and the baker with the cake, and the band...it might be helpful to have someone in charge of everything.  Really it's just a matter of how your particular wedding is coming together.
  • edited December 2011
    Stacy,
    Where is your reception again?
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ooodsie, Inn at Penn...there's a coordinator there who handles the reception.  She'll be there start to finish.  I just don't have anyone for the church and any other details.  I figured that's what family and the bridal party are for...even if there's any issues during the reception or ceremony, I know my sister or my other family members wouldn't mind helping out. 

LRM, I don't think there's anything too particular that I should worry about.  I have a DJ, photographer and the videographer to deal with I guess but I thought everything should be decided and handled before the wedding day.  The florist is a friend of my family and also a guest at my wedding.  She did my sisters wedding a few years ago and it worked out great.  I wasn't sure if I was missing something with this whole DOC thing.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I think you'll be fine Stacy.  I had a coordinater at my venue but not at my church, so I had a friend who wasnt a bridesmaid be sort of "in charge" at the church.. She got there early and handed out programs, bubbles, made sure the groomsmen were ready etc. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks....I was thinking of doing the same thing.  I plan on asking my 2 aunts to help out around the church before the ceremony.  We're meeting with our priest on Saturday so I think I might ask him how things usually work.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    You should find out if the church makes you get rid of your decorations immediately after the ceremony.  Ours did because there was another wedding there the next morning.  I feel like it's one thing to have friends/family help out with passing out programs or decorating the church, but having them clean everything up afterwards is different. 

Our DOC handled all that and also took our church flowers and decorations in her van and reused them at our reception.  It was great not to have to think about any of that and my .  She was much less expensive than I expected, too, since she just does this on the side.  Her name's Susan Hart, I can dig up her number if you're interested.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the flowers are concerned, I'm not really worried since she'll be at the wedding and will take care of that if needed.  She did that for my sisters wedding (with my mom's help collecting things).  It worked out rather well.  That's a good tip though.  I am meeting with the church on Saturday and that is something I'll ask so that I'm prepared.  Thanks!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards