40-Plus Brides
Options

Going to be a Grandma!?

Ok, so I was kind of waiting for this call but I think it really hasn't sunk in yet. My oldest daughter married last Jan. and then in June moved to KY with her new hubby who is in the Army. FH kept telling me that it was only a matter of time before she called to say she was preggers. Well I was talking to her today and she started crying that her new hubby knew she was pregnant and had her take 3 tests just to make sure. He is so excited but she is really scared. Which I get. She is very much like me, in that the growing a human inside me freaks me out but the parenting isn't such a big issue. I know she will be a great Mom. Her hubby will be deployed next fall so part of me is glad he will be near when she gives birth. Anyway, althought FH has a few grandbabies, that he says I will inherit when we marry in Oct. , it really is different when its your own. So much for the Hollister bikini I just bought her for our Maui wedding trip. lol Just had to vent. Any comments on how you ladies handled your first grandbabies greatly appreciated. 

Re: Going to be a Grandma!?

• Options
    I'm still waiting, but in no hurry.  Congrats!
  • Options
    I wasn't in a hurry either. FH kids have two in the oven and one that is 8 mos. He's been teasing me all summer that the call would be coming. They married in Jan. and settled in KY at Fort Knox in June, so I guess it was coming. Just glad her hubby is scheduled for deployment at the end of next summer so at least right now it looks like she won't be alone for the delivery. Oh well. I will spoil it and the good thing is I don't have to take care of it. lol
  • Options
    I now have 2 grandsons...they are the absolute joy of my life.  Oldest will be ringbearer for us.  It is incredibly exciting and scary to see your baby going through the trials and pains of pregnancy, labor and delivery.  Remember though, that she is even more scared and anxious about than you...it's her first time and you have been there.  No matter how freaked you get, try to keep a calm demeanor and be supportive...she needs you to help her through it!!  And wait until you get to hold that baby for the first time...I guarantee your heart will melt and you'll forget all the worrying you did.
  • Options
    I just had my first grandbaby in June--my son's baby daughter--and I actually got to watch the birth!  I didn't expect that at all, but apparently policies on who can be in the labor and delivery room have loosened up a lot since I had my children.  And baby was a month early, before the parents had a chance to take prepared childbirth classes, so DIL was happy to have me there as a coach.

Anyway, don't give up on that bikini--it will likely fit her when nothing else will, since it doesn't have to cover the tummy.  LOL
  • Options
    If she just found out, and your wedding is in a month, go ahead with the bikini you bought for her.  There's no way she'll show at 2 months with a first baby.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the new baby, grandma.  BTW, I just returned from the beach ... I saw a very adorable mom-to-be (she looked about 7 1/2 months) in a hot bikini -- there's no reason your daughter won't be able to wear that Hollister!  I, too, wore a bikini during pregnancy -- around 18 weeks -- and looked awesome.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, Kristin I agree. I was more worried about her girls fitting into the top. lol
    Our colors are hot pink and orange. The suits are hibiscus print in those colors so of course I had to buy them. 
  • Options
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding, and, your new grandma status!  Now you can buy a hot pink and orange bathing suit for your granddaughter, also;)
  • Options
    My granddaughter just turned 10 months and I have a feeling that she'll be trying to walk right around the time of our wedding.  Yes, it is both scary and exciting.  I was not happy at first, but now it's fantastic.  She's such a beautiful little girl and she recognizes Grandma even though she's become shy with Papa.  It's exhausting but so much fun when I get to watch her!
  • Options
    I am a grandma, for 3 weeks now. I love it. Baby will be 9 months when I get married. We will have a blast.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards