Second Weddings

Registering/gifts

I searched and the last topic was 800 days ago, so I figure it's safe to post again :P

We are both on our second weddings.  Origially we were having a desination wedding in Las Vegas, and very few people were going to come  so it wasn't an issue.  My mother recently passed away, so we've moved the wedding to my uncle's backyard--think 10 minute ceremony, then backyard bbq and bonfire.  Casual (jeans).  However, now there are 50-60 people coming instead of the original 10-15. 

For those of you who really don't need anything, what are you doing about registering and gifts?  We have a house full of stuff and are still trying to get rid of stuff from when we moved in together.  We really, really don't need or want more stuff.

We are asking people to donate to a charity (we suggested a couple or one of their choice, and none of the ones we suggested are political/religious). 

Just curious what other second time brides are doing.

Re: Registering/gifts

• How do you feel about a lamp made to depict chili peppers? 

This is the fate of SW brides who do not register.  Loving guests have no idea what to buy you.  They WANT to buy YOU something, and don't want to make a charitable donation.  You are dificult to buy for, since they know you have two of everything.  So their little brains start working.  They think, "I will buy them something different. Something they couldnt possibly already have!"  And viola!  Chili pepper lamp it is. 

Do NOT become a chili pepper lamp owner.

This message brought to you by the SW league for the prevention of cruelty to wedding gifts. 
  • Register!!!  Replace items that are worn or choose items you would really like to have.

We registered and were fortunate enough to receive just about everything we needed to replace, or just flat out needed.  
  • Like you, we needed absolutely NOTHING and if my hubby were not having his daughter live in his house, we'd probably sell it fully furnished, LOL.

We did however need money (for our honeymoon), so we did not offer a charitable option as you are. We also did not register.  Out of 73 people that attended, we received exactly 4 gifts, all of which were from people we knew well, 2 of them home made items that were lovely and appreciated (they are very artsy people). The rest gave us gifts of money.

The point above is a valid one, you may get a couple of "stinker" gifts, as there are people who feel funny about giving cash gifts and are not that in tune with your likes/loves. What I have seen people recommend is registering for things that you would buy for yourself if you ever had the money...........things like maybe a KitchenAid stand mixer if you like to cook, or Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards if you like home improvement.

Stuff wears out as we use it, and you might need new sheets, or plan on redecorating a room and want new bedding/comforter set, new towels, etc.  

Good luck.

• We registered for upgrades --new pots and pans, new casual plates and glasses, nice sheets, stuff like that. Our local goodwill store got a heckuva donation from all of our old stuff. And now we have nice stuff that will last a lot longer than our old stuff would have, and it's "ours" instead of min or his. We had maybe 50 items on our registry for 80 guests. A lot of his side of the family bought things that weren't from the registery (some very nice, some more white-elephant), and many guests from both sides gave us money because they knew we didn't need much (because of the small registry).
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_registeringgifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:dc082e53-1ece-4170-81cc-a04a7fe05df1Post:974a2bdb-9479-46de-a71c-0eb17d5f2e58">Re: Registering/gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]2 of them home made items that were lovely and appreciated (they are very artsy people). Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

These are the very best gifts.  I wish I was artsy or crafty.  ~Donna
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_registeringgifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:dc082e53-1ece-4170-81cc-a04a7fe05df1Post:9f1e2c55-c86b-44e8-a4f3-e5bac9d02b38">Re: Registering/gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]We registered for upgrades --new pots and pans, new casual plates and glasses, nice sheets, stuff like that. Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

This is what we registered for as well.  We were buying a new (different sized) bed, so we registered for sheets, and bedding.  We registered for new towels as well.   The completion discount was part of the motivation, we used that to buy the bedding we didn't get.  ~Donna
  • We didn't want a registery and didn't need anything for our home...but my brother threatened us with a Chia Pet, so we decided to play it safe. Aside from a few household upgrades, my fiance and I have registered for some fun sports items. We are both college basketball fans and love our NFL teams. We didn't register for anything expensive and kept it simple with things like "Tarheel "and "Gator" servng platters, glasses, and salt and pepper shakers. Our friends and family complimented us on being creative. A few mentioned that they enjoyed shopping from our registry and that made me feel okay about registering. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_registeringgifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:dc082e53-1ece-4170-81cc-a04a7fe05df1Post:ddaf6f1f-c6e5-452e-818c-358a85027b3f">Re: Registering/gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't want a registery and didn't need anything for our home...but my brother threatened us with a Chia Pet, so we decided to play it safe. Aside from a few household upgrades, my fiance and I have registered for some fun sports items. We are both college basketball fans and love our NFL teams. We didn't register for anything expensive and kept it simple with things like "Tarheel "and "Gator" servng platters, glasses, and salt and pepper shakers. Our friends and family complimented us on being creative. A few mentioned that they enjoyed shopping from our registry and that made me feel okay about registering. :-)
    Posted by DaisyDollJ[/QUOTE]

My husband's favorite gift from our registry was a set of Miami Dolphins Tervis Tumblers:-)
    DSC_9275
  • We also have everything we need and a tiny house, so we set up a honeymoon registry.
  • " We also have everything we need and a tiny house, so we set up a honeymoon registry."   posted by grubmcc

::runs for cover due to above comment::
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards