African American Weddings

Date Change....sorry kind of long

So FI came to me Saturday afternoon and told me that he wants to push the wedding back to 2012. At first I didn't know what to say because I WAS so set on my novelty date, 9/10/11. Cry After hearing his 2 reasons, and going back and forth with myself all weekend,  I am open to moving the date back. I mean after-all, a date is just a date, right!?! 

Reason #1: his family is from Belize and most are coming this week to attend FMIL's big 50th B-Day party on Sunday, and he says that it will be hard for most of them to get a VISA to come back out here next September. So I feel like if I continued making plans for this date I would be selfish because all of my family and friends would be in attendance, while his guests would consist of mostly friends, rather than family. 

Reason #2: He has 2 roommates, his younger brother and older cousin, who just happens to be some of the nastiest and messiest men EVER. When I'm there I feel like I'm a maid cleaning up after them. FI says its not fair to me to clean after the others so he just rather me and him move alone. He wants to buy a condo or house with what we already have saved for the wedding. He said he would rather push the wedding back now and then have our "own" place to return to once the wedding is over, opposed to getting married next year and then we both return to his place and have to deal with the other 2 while we save for another place.

The new date that I have in mind is August 10, 2012. I have said all this to say what is everyone's opinion to a Friday wedding? I'm sure I could keep everything pretty much the same as far as with the times, (originally wedding was to take place 5:30-1130) or even just move everything back an hour. I'm just not sure how that would work with people working during the week.

Re: Date Change....sorry kind of long

• edited December 2011
    sad to hear the date change but FI has valid reasons. I'm getting married on a Friday, and the best advice I can give you is don't worry about them. The people who want to be there will be. Whether they take off work, fly or drive in the day of, the people who care about you most and the ones who WANT to be there will be there regardless. Smile
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Dont worry about moving the date back. I did 3 times! And i am having a Friday wedding so the people that show are the peopl that get fed! You are gonna have a ball! Keep everything the same except the date girl!
    Anniversary
  • monet7383monet7383 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanx. I  just figured if I'm going to change the date, might as well cut costs too. Fri and Sun weddings are cheaper at my venue.
  • sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about the date change but it is for the best for ya'll situation.  Its a smart move to make the wedding be on a Friday instead of Sunday to save on costs.
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • edited December 2011
    I know it's bittersweet, but he has good reasons. Bottom line is you two will still be married and you will be all set to live the life when you return from your wedding and honeymoon. Imagine coming home to a nasty apartment cause his roommates don't have the decency to clean up!
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Its going to be fine!!! Whatever day and time you and FI decide.  The reasons he gave were very valid and worth the consideration that you and he are giving them... and like he said.... as a married couple, you two should have your own space.
  • TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey...so sorry that you had to push your date back...

I dont know if you have heard me tell "say" this before but I was a 10/10/10 bride and it was REALLY hard for me to be ok with pushing our wedding back BUT it was the best thing that could have happened.

There was NO WAY I was ready to be married this past October...so it all worked out fine.

Then, we went from July 2011 to Spring 2012 and it seems like it is sooooooooooooooooo far away BUT it will be here before we know it!

Just know that you are making the right decision for you and your man...house is more important than spending money on a wedding...thats just the way it is and you and FI were not selfish about it so kudos to you!
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• edited December 2011
    Sorry you have to move your date back but I agree with PP I think buying a house or getting your own place is more important than spending thousands on a wedding. And having FI's family there is important to him so I agree that 2012 would be the better decison.

Welcome to the 2012 club!

Although 2012 seems far believe me time is flying.  2011 will be here in 32 days and eventhough I complain that it feels sooo far away when I think about the money I have to start spending I feel like I need more TIME..lol...because I will seriously have to start saving and shelling out money towards this wedding in 2011...Oh and I am also having a Friday wedding due to the cost savings we are starting at 7:30p
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you all are making a great decision to move back the date - the reasons all make perfect sense.  A Friday wedding is fine, and I think it should start at 6:30pm at the earliest to give people time to get there after work.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    A former 9/10/11 bride myself, I agree when you type "a date is just a date."
    Can't remember who, but someone wrote that these "gimmick dates"  (no offense) won't mean so much in the following years (ie: 9/10/12).
    January AAW Signature Challenge:Wedding Must-Have: A shot or 4
    Photobucket

*insert sarcastic musing here...or jazz hands*
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry you had to move your date but I agree with PP. I think getting your own place is more important than spending thousands on a wedding to come back home to inconsiderate roommates. As far as having the wedding on a Friday evening those people who people who are important to you will show up no matter what.  
    Anniversary
  • 7venAfricano7venAfricano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sorry that you have to move your date back but in the end it'll be better for both you and your FI. Who would want to, after having such a wonderful wedding and honeymoon, come back to a trashed living space. It'd totally kill the mood and cause unnecessary stress for you and FI.

I'm a Friday bride myself. It's my grandfather's birthday so I was happy that it at least landed on a weekday/weekend (I've had this date since summer 2003). I think that as long as your ceremony starts at 6:30 (I'm doing 7pm) or so, most of the people that you want to be there will make it. It gives just enough time to get home from work, wind down, get dressed and make it to the wedding. And the great thing about Friday weddings are that, after all that fun and excitement the night before, they get to crash for the night and not worry about getting up early for church or work the next day

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards