Tennessee

New to the board-Nashville vendor recs

Hi everyone!
I recently got engaged and a friend of mine told me I should join the Knot.  I'm excited to get the planning started but I'm new to the Nashville area and have no idea where to start.

If anyone has any recommendations for vendors I'd love to hear them.  They don't have to be *in* Nashville, but within 30-40 minute drive or so.

Thanks!!!

Reception Venue:
Photographer:
Videographer:
Cake:
Florist:
Dress:
Invitations:
Ceremony/Reception Music:
Rental Companies:

Re: New to the board-Nashville vendor recs

• edited December 2011
    Welcome! I'm also planning a wedding in Nashville (though I live in Florida).  I was just there looking at venues and vendors so I can share the little that I know so far...
    Reception venues: We booked the Union Station hotel (I fell in love with it), but we also liked     -Liff Opera Center
                       - Belle Meade Plantation
                       -Traveler's Rest Plantation
                       -Houston Station
     And you may also want to look at Cheekwood Gardens and Riverwood Mansion (a lot will depend on how large your wedding will be and your budget).

Photographer: I did not want to break the bank on the photographer, so we booked Derek Lee (very affordable but with 15 years experience). http://www.dwlp.com
    Also recommended to me were: Krista Lee Photography, Phindy Studios, Donald Yeager and Ace Photography (I didn't meet with any of them though).

Cake (haven't booked this yet, but here's what has been recommended to me...)
    -The Bake Shoppe, Dulce Desserts, PattyCakes

Dress: I got mine at The White Room in Lebanon, TN, just outside Nashville
    http://www.thewhiteroom.us/

I don't have any recommendations for rental companies, since my reception venue provides pretty much everything, so, thankfully, I don't need that! But I was given some recommendations for transportation rentals: Grand Avenue Limo, Matchless Transportation.

Some good websites for Nashville wedding planning are: http://www.twesa.com
    http://ashleysbrideguide.com
    Hope this helps!!

image229 Invited
    image134 Have their dancing shoes ready!
    image95 Will be sitting this one out.
    image0 Undecided

• edited December 2011
    I am coming from California to Columbia, TN for our wedding in 93 days. (Yikes!)
    Here are a few ideas that we've found helpful: (However, keep in mind that our ceremony and reception are somewhat small, so it may not be to your tastes)

Venue: The Athenaeum Rectory (www.athenaeumrectory.com) Amazing!!! And if you're getting married outside, the grounds are gorgeous. (IMHO) I've also heard Rattle and Snap and Cheekwood are superb choices, but haven't been there for a wedding personally.

Catering: The Copper Kettle. They have amazing food, and their catering menu is phenomenal, and is displayed as artwork--they even have a reception site if you need it. My contract includes everything you could think of with regards to the reception (except for centerpieces). Lana Robb is our contact

Cake: we chose the Publix grocery store--I know, don't laugh... several friends have used them, and they took our design and recreated it for a third of the price (including delivery) complete with custom flavor and fillings.

Favors/Groom's Cake: Julie Parker from www.partypopsbyjulie.com is phenomenal! She is creating custom Cake Pops for our reception. You can see the pictures in my earlier post. She is so much fun to work with.

Paper: We used Vistaprint and diy'ed them to look adorable. So much cheaper, and they look gorgeous! Plus, if you watch for coupons to come out, they're even better. We got $80 off our suite, and got lots of freebies included.

Music: We didn't want a DJ, as most of our guests are family, and we're having a morning wedding, so we went with a harp. Paula Haffner provides very talented harp services, and will work with you to customize your music.

One piece of advice--lots of vendors pose as brides (or grooms) and attempt to give "advice." Don't just trust one link--do your research. I made sure all of my vendors/talent/etc. had top reviews. It will save yourself a lot of stress!!!

Congratulations :-) I hope your day is beyond anything you could imagine!
    11.11.11 It's more than a wish; our prayers have been answered.
  • thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_tennessee_new-board-nashville-vendor-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:125Discussion:ac427b0a-800b-4ae8-b512-4ac3b0dbafa8Post:e631eceb-944f-4fdd-abb2-d9f0eb987a43">Re: New to the board-Nashville vendor recs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Venue: The Athenaeum Rectory ( <a href="http://www.athenaeumrectory.com" rel='nofollow'>www.athenaeumrectory.com</a> )
    Posted by tch2luv[/QUOTE]
    Hahaha, I graduated from the Athenaeum! It was pretty much everything I learned in Cotillion but I was in a hoopskirt and corset and it was way too damn hot.

• edited December 2011
    Hi and best wishes!  There is a brand new wedding venue ia short drive from Nashville in Eagleville Tn. Samary Plantation.....outside wedding ceremony sites, Carriage house for reception (currently adding a patio to that), Best value in the area in my opinion.  Also three guest houses on the property.  I am working with them as the wedding planner/coordinator and would be happy to advise you on vendors to work with at any site that you might choose.  Feel free to contact me.
  • burburburbur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Reception Venue: First Church Unity. They have a church and a hall for rent and offer great prices.  You also don't have to be a member of the church or be a certain religion to have your ceremony there.

Photographer: Gray Photography

Videographer: With This Ring Wedding Films. Great prices and great quality!

Cake: Crumb de la Crumb has the best cakes! I love all their infused flavors, there's nothing like it!

Dress: Bridal Warehouse. They are great to work with and offer lots of designers. They even told me when my designer was having a trunk sale so I could purchase my dress on sale!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_tennessee_new-board-nashville-vendor-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:125Discussion:ac427b0a-800b-4ae8-b512-4ac3b0dbafa8Post:0f0be849-ee7c-40a1-90bf-48287e9bded2">Re: New to the board-Nashville vendor recs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just because a photographer doesn't charge $4,000 doesn't mean he or she isn't good (as a matter of fact, I have a friend in photography school who said that they are taught to inflate their prices when starting out because people often equate price with quality).  But good luck to all on your choices...goes to show that you really need to check things out for yourself because people can have very different perceptions and experiences with vendors.
    Posted by FLsweetpea1979[/QUOTE]

I completely agree FL, and I didn't not chose him because of the price, it was a much more personal matter for me not choosing him.  You are just absolutely correct about different people having different experiences.  It is worth it to do your homework on your photographer and spend time with them because if they don't get what you are looking for in photography or you don't get along then it won't work out for the best.

I'm sure Derek Lee will work great for you, it just wasn't meant to be for him and I.
  • kkaurakkaura member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It looks like you're getting a lot of great ideas. The venues I like have all been mentioned so that's good. As for invitations I LOVE simplyinvite - but they're out of Texas not sure if that's helpful (but they were BEAUTIFUL... but kinda pricy). Anyway! For photographer, I highly recomment Pro Deo Creations. They have a great time and their price is pretty much on budget - they worked with out budget ($750 for 8 hours of photography plus all the images on DVD - kinda awesome) - their website is: www.ProDeoCreations.com

hope that helps!
  • srhturner584srhturner584 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also in the middle of my researching and figuring out...but here is what I can give you so far...

Reception Venue: Hilton Garden Inn at Vanderbilt has a reasonable rental rate and food/beverage minimum plus views of the area from the 9th floor ballroom (however, downtown is only in view from the deck, not the ballroom)

Photographer: Still working on this one...I have researched John Gentry, Donald Yeager, Krista Lee, Scoobie's, David Wright, Andrea Halgren...haven't made a decision though.

Cake: I have heard recommendations from venues and other wedding people for the French Confection, Bake Shoppe, and Dessert Designs by Leland

Florist: Jimm Wright

Dress: Working on this one too...I went to Sugar Drop in Brentwood to try some on and had a great experience so far.

Ceremony/Reception Music: Wedding Musicians Company for ceremony.  Got recommendations for Nashville Party Authority, Spangler Entertainment, and Blue Tone Music DJ's

Hope that helps!
  • Rachael&BradRachael&Brad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do bachelorette parties & bridal showers Stella & Dot jewelry is a designer line of accessories sold exclusively through trained, independent jewelry Stylists, like myself, who offer informal Trunk Shows for you and a group of your friends at your home- or mine! Indulge your friends. They'll adore the style, you- the bride- will enjoy your new free jewelry wardrobe. It's casual, no pressure and, most importantly, fun! What's not to love? Visit my website: www.stelladot.com/rachaelgullette or call or text me to set up your Trunk Show to earn $100's in free jewelry just for having a girl's night with your friends! 270-779-9731
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards