Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Junior bridesmaids/groomsmen

My fiance and I aren't getting married until 2015 when we're done with school, but by that time, his son will be 9 and his daughter will be 7. I've always seen flowergirls and ringbearers as really young (like 3-6 years old), and I've seen junior bridesmaids/groomsmen as 10-15. Would his children be too young to be  in the bridal party ? Or would they be too old to be a flowergirl and ringbearer? Does anyone know of another way to incorporate them in the wedding at that age?

Re: Junior bridesmaids/groomsmen

• My RB was 7 and my FG was 10.  I don't think they're too old.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • They are only too old to be RB/FG when they tell you they are too old.  If that happens, have them as BM/GM.  Often, parents with children will have them as honor attendants as well.

Wait until at least 2014 (no more than 9 months before the wedding) to make these decisions.  You never know what can happen between now and then.
  • Our flower girls will be 8 and 9. My aunt was a Junior Bridesmaid in my parents wedding at age 9 (some people will tell you not to use the junior, but my aunt declared herself that with no prompting from anyone) Some kids will feel that being a flower girl or ring bearer is a baby job, others will be thrilled. I think the key is to ask the kids to be a part of the wedding, and then see what they want to do. Does she want to throw petals or carry a bouquet? Either is appropriate for a kid that age. Does he want to carry a pillow with the rings, or stand next to his dad? Which ever way it goes, don't talk to the kids about roles yet. It's too early to get them worked up and excited about it. Our ring bearer (age 4.5) actually still doesn't know much about the wedding because his mom doesn't want to deal with him asking "is it the wedding yet?" every couple days for the next 3 months. Imagine that for the next few years!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_junior-bridesmaidsgroomsmen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:ee9abc62-9be6-446c-9511-71840b52875fPost:58f5df41-1fb5-4f14-9cb9-0ab1c3862ce3">Junior bridesmaids/groomsmen</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I aren't getting married until 2015 when we're done with school, but by that time, his son will be 9 and his daughter will be 7. I've always seen flowergirls and ringbearers as really young (like 3-6 years old), and I've seen junior bridesmaids/groomsmen as 10-15.<strong> Would his children be too young to be  in the bridal party ? Or would they be too old to be a flowergirl and ringbearer?</strong> Does anyone know of another way to incorporate them in the wedding at that age?
    Posted by thatjellisgrlx3[/QUOTE]

There are no age requirements for any member of the bridal party. If you want a 16-year-old flower girl, go for it. If you want a 3-year-old maid of honor, go for it.
  • edited March 2012
    Not too old at all! But I agree with PP...listen to the kids when it gets closer to the time. I imagine a seven year old girl will still be thrilled to be a flower girl. I was nine for the last wedding I was a flower girl in. If the boy rolls his eyes at walking down the aisle with his baby sister, have him stand next to dad at the front instead.
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • I agree with the PPs. Once you're closer to the wedding, get the kids' input on how they'd like their roles described. My 8 year old niece felt like she was too old to be a FG, so we made her a jr. bridesmaid. And my FI's 10 year old nephew was a bit too young to be a full groomsman, so we made him a jr. groomsman.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • You can have them be whatever you want them to be... Its your wedding... I am having 2 flowergirls both will be 5 and 1 ring bear 4 and 2 junior bridesmaids 9 and 7 and maybe 2 junior groomsmen as well...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards