Michigan-Lansing

Suggestions Needed Please

I'm feeling like noting is going right for in with the process of planning my wedding. The place I was going to rent for the reception got rented out by someone else before I got out of work. I haven't had any luck with finding another affordable place to have the reception. Not to mention caterer's. I'm looking at having a early wedding and would like to have a lunch styled buffet.
I was finally able to get two of the church's I was looking at to respond back to my inquiry. I'm doing this wedding on a budget of $10,00 but it doesn't look like it's working out for me.
The wedding isn't until next year, but this already seems stressful. Any suggestions or advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you ladies in advance!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Suggestions Needed Please

• Sorry to hear your first choice of venue didn't work out.  Give us an idea of what type of place you are looking for and maybe we can help with some ideas.  How many guests are you planning to have?

• edited July 2012
    $10,000 is totally do-able on your timeline!  My H and I had the same budget and it did take work, but in the end it all worked out!! 

We had our reception at Brookshire.  We had about 150-160 and I would say that is about their cap, unless you open the back room...then you can probably add 20 people or so.  Mary Ann was the coordinator there and she worked within our budget.  I just told her what we had to spend and she made it work.  Also, people raved about the food...it was SO good!!  Choosing to do a lunch will definitely help to keep your cost down.  I also liked it because I didn't have to deal with a caterer.

Are you crafty?  There are so many things you can make to keep your costs down, especially since you have a year.  Even if you aren't crafty, check out Hobby Lobby and Michael's to see what they have to offer.  You might find plenty of supplies that you can slowly buy using 40% off coupons.

Michelle McDevitt is a wonderful florist who will also work within your budget.  Just tell her what you want to spend and she will make it work.  Here's her contatct info:

Email: mmcdevit7@yahoo.com

Phone: 517-980-6882

A wonderful makeup artist is Kylie Dothsuk.  She will do a trial, airbrush, and travel to you for just $60.  People will tell you about other makeup artists, but their prices are double and triple Kylie's.  Her email is dotky25@gmail.com and her phone number is 517-803-8867.

For photographers, check out lifeisfocused.com.  He's doing a friend's wedding in December and I know he'll adjust packages if you're looking for a shorter time period.

I know you didn't ask for all of this info, but I wish someone would've just handed me all of these resources because they all helped keep our budget in check and make our wedding great.  Good luck!!! 
    Anniversary
  • I can relate to how you are feeling. The good thing is you have plenty of time but be careful not to procrastinate because time will fly.
    I wouldn't sign a contract with your caterer until you have met with at least 3.
    Looking outside of Lansing/East Lansing could save you some big bucks.
    We haved moved to Mason and I have been working at the County Building.
    It's a quaint little town with a lot of options for different types of events.
    You might consider looking at the Ingham County Fairground Community Hall which would give you a good chance to stop somewhere nice for pictures if your wedding is in Lansing.
    I have been there a couple times for receptions as a bridesmaid. It's fairly good sized and I think it rents for about $700.
    There are actually a few places in Mason, one in Eaton Rapids and a couple in Charlotte that are reasonable.
    If your guest list is small like under 100 the Best Sellers Book Store in Mason has a place called The Extra Room that they rent out. They also cater and I have heard their prices are reasonable and great food.
    They also own the Vault Deli (my favorite lunch spot) which is right next door.
    If you googled it I'm sure you will find something.
    There is also the Cobblestone in Mason.
    Caterer's can vary a lot.
    I used Robin's Nest in Eaton Rapids. Great food-great price.
    A lot of people have used Merindorf's which I have heard good things about and as I mentioned check with the Vault Deli about who does their catering.
    I love the Hobby Lobby. Just walking around gave me some good ideas.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-lansing_suggestions-needed-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:96Discussion:32035f7b-b0fc-454e-9818-a63eb390f4f0Post:94154a05-9759-4b9e-95e3-b5f9d7d91f46">Suggestions Needed Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm feeling like noting is going right for in with the process of planning my wedding. The place I was going to rent for the reception got rented out by someone else before I got out of work. I haven't had any luck with finding another affordable place to have the reception. Not to mention caterer's. I'm looking at having a early wedding and would like to have a lunch styled buffet. I was finally able to get two of the church's I was looking at to respond back to my inquiry. I'm doing this wedding on a budget of $10,00 but it doesn't look like it's working out for me. The wedding isn't until next year, but this already seems stressful. Any suggestions or advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you ladies in advance!!
    Posted by Anjee23[/QUOTE]
  • edited July 2012
    I forgot to mention a couple things that will help.
    Make a list of what needs to be done.
    The knot has lists.

Then each week make a list of 5 wedding related things you want to accomplish.
    It can be phone calls.
    I would make your reception venue, photographer, and of course your dress the top 3. Not necessarily in that order. Photographer could go 1st for reasons I mention below.
    Caterer could go in there or be #4. when you have these in place a lot of weight is lifted.

My aunt is an event planner and gave me this advice.
    It works.
    Another thing she said.
    Your photographer or videographer can probably give you the best suggestions for reception venues, caterers, florists, DJ's and limo services. No other vendor is with you all day the way the photog is so choose one with good wedding experience.
    I know of three that are excellent that won't break the bank.

Mine was Town Square Photo which is a listed vendor in the Lansing Knot.
    Another is Marvin Hall also listed on the Lansing Knot.
    3rd is Michael's Studio of Lansing.
    <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.michaelsstudiooflansing.com/">http://www.michaelsstudiooflansing.com/</a>
    I was very happy with mine. I got 2 photographers for well under $2000.
    The other 2 I have seen over the last few years. I had a lot of friends getting married. The year I got married I was in 3 other weddings. It was crazy.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-lansing_suggestions-needed-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:96Discussion:32035f7b-b0fc-454e-9818-a63eb390f4f0Post:94154a05-9759-4b9e-95e3-b5f9d7d91f46">Suggestions Needed Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm feeling like noting is going right for in with the process of planning my wedding. The place I was going to rent for the reception got rented out by someone else before I got out of work. I haven't had any luck with finding another affordable place to have the reception. Not to mention caterer's. I'm looking at having a early wedding and would like to have a lunch styled buffet. I was finally able to get two of the church's I was looking at to respond back to my inquiry. I'm doing this wedding on a budget of $10,00 but it doesn't look like it's working out for me. The wedding isn't until next year, but this already seems stressful. Any suggestions or advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you ladies in advance!!
    Posted by Anjee23[/QUOTE]
  • Thank you so much ladies for the words of encouragement. I didn't want to seem like I was on a pitty pot. Sorry for responding so late I've been working extra hours, my daughter got sick, then my son got sick. So it's been busy.

I'm hoping for my cereamony to start at noon and last no longer than 30 minutes. That should put the reception around 1 depending on the place I find. Since it will be an early wedding I'm not looking to serve anything heavy. I'm looking along the line of a buffet style reception with chicken wings, mini sandwhiches, pasta salad, an asscortment of bread, beverages, meat and cheese platter, and meatballs. I'm still playing with the menu but something along those lines. I'm also having no more than 100 guests on my list. I live in the Delta Township area, and it would have been nice to stay on this side of town but it's just not looking like that's possibe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards