Christian Weddings

controversial question....

2»

Re: controversial question....

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess it depends on how you want to handle the situation.

See, if I wasn't invited to a wedding I don't buy a gift. It's nice that they did it for you, but that doesn't mean you should or have to. Especially in light of your struggle with it.

And at the same time, it depends on if you want that point to be made (the point about where your convictions lie). They may never know that that's your reasoning for not giving a gift, but I guess it depends on the point you're trying to make.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_controversial-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:60edf36c-06bb-46c3-bd0b-54b0edbd3ed4Post:6b422e99-9441-4e2b-80be-1b2ceaf83531">Re: controversial question....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess it depends on how you want to handle the situation. See, if I wasn't invited to a wedding I don't buy a gift. It's nice that they did it for you, but that doesn't mean you should or have to. Especially in light of your struggle with it. And at the same time, it depends on if you want that point to be made (the point about where your convictions lie). They may never know that that's your reasoning for not giving a gift, but I guess it depends on the point you're trying to make.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

I agree strongly with u!
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_controversial-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:60edf36c-06bb-46c3-bd0b-54b0edbd3ed4Post:845d654e-9f9a-489a-b44a-6ccd2bfe6d2b">Re: controversial question....</a>:
    [QUOTE]It seems to me that if you don't approve of their choice to marry, you would not celebrate it by congratulating them with a gift.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

I agree!
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_controversial-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:60edf36c-06bb-46c3-bd0b-54b0edbd3ed4Post:31dfd8b7-b63e-4134-9324-d09079ec9123">Re: controversial question....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: controversial question.... : I agree we're all sinners, but there's a difference between someone living in a lifestyle of sin and 'sinning'.  I agree we should not judge people based on their lifestyle choices, but I also do not want to support a lifestyle that I believe the Bible specifically speaks out against.  I realize not all Christians Feel this way. <strong> As for the baby gift, yes I would give a single mother (or unwed mother) a baby gift because I am pro-life, not because I am pro-promiscuity.
    </strong>Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

Good answer!
  • edited December 2011
    you don't disapprove of the people - you disapprove of their lifestyle and choices. Give them a gift - but make sure they know it's not a "wedding" gift. Make up some other occasion. Christmas, birthday, thank you, new years, etc. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards