Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

The Menu :)

Okay, what do you think?

Open bar, we will also have signature drinks for guests...
"Wedding Cake" Martini (with Wedding Cake Vodka) and
"Groom's Cake" Martini (a chocolate Martini)

Cocktail Hour passed Hors d'Oeuvres:
Buffalo Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Focaccia
Mini Chicken Cordon Blue
Forest Mushrooms in Phyllo Purse
Beef Wellington

Dinner (including wine service):
Salad of sliced red & yellow tomatoes, mozzarella, baby green and red oak lettuce in a cucumber wrap with balsamic vinaigrette
Entree is Pan seared breast of chicken with pommery mustard and buttered herb bread crumbs with mushroom risotto and madeira sauce, served with roasted carrots and green beans, and spaghetti squash.

Wedding cake is European White Chocolate Mousse cake (white cake with white chocolate mousse and shavings) - almost left that as "mouse" and we were gonna have a very different cake. lol
Groom's cake is (regular) chocolate with raspberry filling
Guests will receive both, served with coffee, tea...

Sweets table will include everything from m&m's and jelly beans to chocolate and yogurt covered fruit (blueberries and cherries) and pretzels.

There is a vegetarian option... but honestly I am not sure what it is. Literally, everything at my tasting was delicious, so I trust them to make it good. Even FI who HATES mushrooms agreed on the two mushroom things (the forest mushroom hors d'oeurves and mushroom risotto).

Re: The Menu :)

• Options
    I think that sounds great.  I would ordinarily be a little wary of being so mushroom-heavy, especially with no choice of entree, but you also have the squash and veggies as sides, so if someone doesn't eat the risotto, they'll still have plenty.  I would ask the venue what the vegetarian option is (that would be what I'd be eating) just to make sure it's actually substantial.  Your sig cocktails sound so festive.
  • Options
    No choice for dinner?  
  • Options
    She mentioned there is a veg option for vegetarians.  I'm just surprised after that cocktail hour there's no choice for dinner other than chicken.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_the-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b51895df-6597-4eb5-b838-5f9f0366d107Post:e6a2e01b-f742-437e-94ed-0a9becb859fe">Re: The Menu :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]She mentioned there is a veg option for vegetarians.  I'm just surprised after that cocktail hour there's no choice for dinner other than chicken.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

<div>It's not that uncommon to have no entree choice.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_the-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b51895df-6597-4eb5-b838-5f9f0366d107Post:9cfaf941-a12a-4326-aa69-d50491e165b9">Re: The Menu :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]One thing I might suggest is to replace the buffalo mozzarella, tomato and basil focaccia with something else.  While they both sound delicious - it's very similar to your salad.  You could add a little more variety by doing something different for your hor d'oeuvre option.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Something different from the salad as the focaccia toppings would be good.  Also, your apps are all something on or in a pastry or bread.  If you have any guests with gluten allergies, the cocktail hour might be tough for them.  If you take out the focaccia, I'd try replacing it with something that doesn't have a bread-base.  It could be a vegetable skewer or antipasto platter or something like that. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I've never been to a wedding that didn't have at least 2 choices for the entree, so I find this odd.  I also hate mushrooms, so I'd hate the risotto.  And I'm not a big fan of mustard.  This is why I like options.

The hors d'oeuvres and desserts sounds fantastic though!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_the-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b51895df-6597-4eb5-b838-5f9f0366d107Post:9cfaf941-a12a-4326-aa69-d50491e165b9">Re: The Menu :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]One thing I might suggest is to replace the buffalo mozzarella, tomato and basil focaccia with something else.  While they both sound delicious - it's very similar to your salad.  You could add a little more variety by doing something different for your hor d'oeuvre option.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

<div>That was my first thought.  Although I might switch up the salad instead.    But I have a thing for tomato, mozz, basil on focaccia, so  there's is that.</div><div>
    </div><div>While I like mushrooms, I do feel it's a little mushroom heavy.</div><div>
    </div><div>On choices: we didn't give a choice per se.  We had a duo of filet of beef and crabcake (plus a veggie option).  We had some people who didn't like one, but did llke the other, so that got both.  In our crowd it was not an issue.   We also had a HUGE cocktail hour.  10 different apps (wide varitey), veggie display, chess display, raw bar and sushi.  No one should have gone home hungry.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_the-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b51895df-6597-4eb5-b838-5f9f0366d107Post:e3f3a99b-2199-40eb-9ccc-472b73f01baf">Re: The Menu :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been to a wedding that didn't have at least 2 choices for the entree, so I find this odd.  I also hate mushrooms, so I'd hate the risotto.  And I'm not a big fan of mustard.  This is why I like options. The hors d'oeuvres and desserts sounds fantastic though!
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Same here.  </div>
  • Options
    FYI - even with option you still might not get somehting you like.

We are going to a wedding in Dec.  They gave us 2 options.  One was chicken stuffed with onions. The other was ribs with hot sauce and some sort of onion topping.

I HATE onions and do not do hot sauce.

So much for options

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I don't consider mushrooms to be a 'universal dislike' but it is true that the flavour is inescapable (ie, even if you ate around the mushrooms in the risotto, the whole dish would taste of mushroom). It all sounds lovely to me.
    Also, the vegetable dish doesn't have to be for just vegetarians, so there are multiple menu options! Perhaps make sure that dish doesn't have any mushrooms just in case someone can't stand them and generally that it is pretty different to the chicken dish to make as sure as possible that everyone could find something they like.
    lyndausvi, that sounds like a very strange wedding. Good luck and hope there is a salad!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_the-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b51895df-6597-4eb5-b838-5f9f0366d107Post:ed10ac0e-f27d-4cb0-8053-f09ea9e0df59">Re: The Menu :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI - even with option you still might not get somehting you like. We are going to a wedding in Dec.  They gave us 2 options.  One was chicken stuffed with onions. The other was ribs with hot sauce and some sort of onion topping. I HATE onions and do not do hot sauce. So much for options
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's why, even with my vegetarian wedding, I tried not to repeat main ingredients. The venue had a great fried ravioli hors d'oeuvre, but one of our dinner options was mushroom ravioli, so we switched that out. Similarly, since we had mushrooms in the ravioli, we made sure the other dish did not have them.

Though I can't say I understand not doing hot sauce. ;)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_the-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:b51895df-6597-4eb5-b838-5f9f0366d107Post:64482c07-ec8d-44f0-a688-9c9af7b351c5">Re: The Menu :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't consider mushrooms to be a 'universal dislike' but it is true that the flavour is inescapable (ie, even if you ate around the mushrooms in the risotto, the whole dish would taste of mushroom). It all sounds lovely to me. Also, the vegetable dish doesn't have to be for just vegetarians, so there are multiple menu options! Perhaps make sure that dish doesn't have any mushrooms just in case someone can't stand them and generally that it is pretty different to the chicken dish to make as sure as possible that everyone could find something they like. <strong>lyndausvi, that sounds like a very strange wedding. Good luck and hope there is a salad!</strong>
    Posted by SachaBee[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Not only that we had to RSVP  by Oct 5.  They can't use "the venue required it " excuse, because  I use to work for the same company, DH still works for the same company.  We know they don't need hard numbers until 72 hours out from the event.</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards